Rumor: Varlamov won't waive for Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean does any Canadian team even have a high profile Russian player that isn't a young draft pick that has no choice but to play there? I'm struggling to think of any.

Russians want the big, sexier US markets (not Columbus, Buffalo, etc. either).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have no doubt that the US is a better place to live for young multi-millionaires. Definitely more of a millionaires' playground than Canada and people with enough money are insulated from a societies ills.
You can't lump all Canadian cities in the same grouping. Toronto for young millionaires is probably more fun than most American markets. The only knocks are taxes and weather.
That's overblown.

Russians tend to not want to play in Canada period. The higher paid ones tend to like the big US cities like LA, Miami/Tampa (Florida), New York, Chicago, Washington, etc. There's large Russian populations in those cities and making it there is a sign that you've "made it", plus Russian wifey + visits from grandparents + other family also tend to like those cities.
Russian tend to be fine and enjoy Toronto. Tons of the guys leaving the KHL come here, and there is a long history of Soviet-born players settling here long-term. Part of that is Toronto has a fairly large Russian community. It's sort of pointless to blindly label all Canadian cities the same. Toronto compared to the prairie cities are wildly different places.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can't lump all Canadian cities in the same grouping. Toronto for young millionaires is probably more fun than most American markets. The only knocks are taxes and weather.

Russian tend to be fine and enjoy Toronto. Tons of the guys leaving the KHL come here, and there is a long history of Soviet-born players settling here long-term. Part of that is Toronto has a fairly large Russian community. It's sort of pointless to blindly label all Canadian cities the same. Toronto compared to the prairie cities are wildly different places.

I actually like Toronto, but if it's like Toronto versus LA or Miami or New York ... usually it's alll about those cities.

For Russian players I'm not even sure if it's so much the players themselves that care, but a Russian wife/girlfriend can often push for a glamour US market.

Ontario born players love Toronto, so that's a big enough advantage. Boy do the Raptors have problems attracting players to Toronto though. Kawhi won a title and it still wasn't enough to convince him to stay.

Of course these are generalizations but I think there's some truth there. For whatever reason British Columbia born players have a giant hard on for Edmonton, the Oilers clean up with UFAs from B.C.

Russian players don't sign for Canada it seems. Montreal had a bit of a Russian thing going about 10 years ago but not since, kinda makes sense as it's probably the most European style North American city.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Kinda sucks. Edmonton was a destination for Varly that made sense from both sides.

But dude has NTC protection and has the right to use it as he sees fit, so it is what it is.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I actually like Toronto, but if it's like Toronto versus LA or Miami or New York ... usually it's alll about those cities.

For Russian players I'm not even sure if it's so much the players themselves that care, but a Russian wife/girlfriend can often push for a glamour US market.

Ontario born players love Toronto, so that's a big enough advantage. Boy do the Raptors have problems attracting players to Toronto though. Kawhi won a title and it still wasn't enough to convince him to stay.

Of course these are generalizations but I think there's some truth there. For whatever reason British Columbia born players have a giant hard on for Edmonton, the Oilers clean up with UFAs from B.C.

Russian players don't sign for Canada it seems. Montreal had a bit of a Russian thing going about 10 years ago but not since, kinda makes sense as it's probably the most European style North American city.
The Leafs haven't had any issues with Russians. The Leafs are capped out so, they aren't signing any big Russian players at the moment, and really the only two that have moved are Bobrovsky and Panarin. Leafs were on Panarin's initial list when coming from the KHL, and while I doubt we would have beat NYR, it's believed we were on his list of about 6 teams (NYR, LA, Florida, Tampa, Chicago). Leafs had no trouble getting Mogilny to sign for us in the early 2000s. Zaitsev chose here when there were multiple offers league wide. Multiple Soviet players have settled here post-career (Yushkevich, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Igor Korlev's family, etc). When the Leafs were bad and had cap space in the Burke era, Burke refused to sign Russians or sign those long-term back diving deals.

The Raptors are a different story, and Kawhi was gung-ho on going to LA (and if it's to be believed he would have stayed if we traded for Westbrook/George and Masai said no, plus god knows how much tampering there was on the Clippers side). The Jays haven't had many issues with big name Americans. Look at all the HHOFers they got to sign in the early 90s (Molitor, Winfield, Morris) and they just signed Gausman and Springer who are two very in demand free agents. Also, the only issue the Leafs have had with Americans that I can recall are Jimmy Hayes and Mathieu Schnider.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Leafs haven't had any issues with Russians. The Leafs are capped out so, they aren't signing any big Russian players at the moment, and really the only two that have moved are Bobrovsky and Panarin. Leafs were on Panarin's initial list when coming from the KHL, and while I doubt we would have beat NYR, it's believed we were on his list of about 6 teams (NYR, LA, Florida, Tampa, Chicago). Leafs had no trouble getting Mogilny to sign for us in the early 2000s. Zaitsev chose here when there were multiple offers league wide. Multiple Soviet players have settled here post-career (Yushkevich, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Igor Korlev's family, etc). When the Leafs were bad and had cap space in the Burke era, Burke refused to sign Russians or sign those long-term back diving deals.

The Raptors are a different story, and Kawhi was gung-ho on going to LA (and if it's to be believed he would have stayed if we traded for Westbrook/George and Masai said no, plus god knows how much tampering there was on the Clippers side). The Jays haven't had many issues with big name Americans. Look at all the HHOFers they got to sign in the early 90s (Molitor, Winfield, Morris) and they just signed Gausman and Springer who are two very in demand free agents. Also, the only issue the Leafs have had with Americans that I can recall are Jimmy Hayes and Mathieu Schnider.

I don't think Bob or Panarin would've signed in any Canadian market even if they had the cap space.

Miami and New York have huge appeal to Russian players but also make Russian wives happy and I think that factors into the calculus.

Mogilny is a long ago, I think younger Russian players and their families really like the big ticket US markets, it's become a status symbol in Russia if you're in these markets because Russian elite and billionaires also tend to like those markets (of course with the current political situation, who knows what will happen in the future).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think Bob or Panarin would've signed in any Canadian market even if they had the cap space.

Miami and New York have huge appeal to Russian players but also make Russian wives happy and I think that factors into the calculus.

Mogilny is a long ago, I think younger Russian players and their families really like the big ticket US markets, it's become a status symbol in Russia if you're in these markets because Russian elite and billionaires also tend to like those markets (of course with the current political situation, who knows what will happen in the future).
Toronto is closer to Chicago in comparison than it is to Edmonton. Which was my main point. To group all the Canadian cities together lacks nuance due to the stark differences between markets. It'd be like comparing Columbus or Buffalo to Chicago because they are either mid-western or on a great lake. Toronto really has no problem getting KHL guys even when multiple teams are interested in. Toronto has a good reputation among Russian players as a place to live due to the former players who settled here and their being a fairly large Russian suburb/community, something most other Canadian cities lack.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Tough to make a call on this - what are the last few Canadian teams that were good enough to be considered at, or near contender status for an extended time?

I can only think of a few examples where Canadian teams strung together 3 seasons where they would be considered at that level.
1. ) Toronto recently - Very little salary cap wiggle room since they became good. Tavares and Spezza signed under market price. Most big signings have been traded for and re-signed.
2.) Winnipeg recently - Talent retention issues for sure - a few high profile players forced their way out.
3.) Vancouver 2009-2012 - No real issues obtaining talent.
4.) Ottawa at/around original lockout - Lost some talent due to salary cap constraints, but can't remember talent issues aside from Heatley eventually pressing for a trade.

My point is more that if you took 10 players at random, who have a 10 no trade list. Vast majority of them are going to have canadian teams on the list. We see it time and time again. 2 or 3 of those players are willing to play for Canadian teams.

Team success does have some impact, for sure. Like more players are going to want to play in Toronto then Ottawa for example due to recent success.

And occasionally a team like Toronto, their location will pay off for them. If you look at Tavares or Bunting.

But look at a team like Winnipeg. They have been consistently good for awhile now. They have drafted and developed well. Kept some of their players, decent well. But I bet a lot of players still dont want to play there. I bet if you asked actual NHL players anonymous, more would rather play in Arizona then Winnipeg.

I'm not sure how much taxes come into play. I think it comes into it. But so does weather, big city life, less pressure environment, etc. Regardless of why, Canadian teams are still at major disadvantage because GM's have less players to work with to build their team. And often they have to overpay their players to stay as well.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I have zero belief that the Avs are seriously interested in Varly but it would be kind of funny to steal him from Edmonton after they stole Kuemper from Edmonton.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Toronto has a good reputation among Russian players as a place to live due to the former players who settled here and their being a fairly large Russian suburb/community, something most other Canadian cities lack.
11 guys in HISTORY have played more than 100 games for the Leafs... 11 since 1980.. that is a long ass time. Put antoher way.. 548 guys have suited up for the Leafs since 1980... 11 were from Russia. None of them were prominent.

upload_2022-3-9_19-27-23.png

The most prominent being Mogilny in his twilight years. His best as a Leaf was his 6th best as an NHLer.

I don't know where you are getting this from.. please help me understand where these former players settled.. who are they?

Even simply googling Russian Canadians

upload_2022-3-9_19-32-41.png

The Yukon has more Russians than Ontario. So does Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Reactions: HabsQC

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I mean does any Canadian team even have a high profile Russian player that isn't a young draft pick that has no choice but to play there? I'm struggling to think of any.

Russians want the big, sexier US markets (not Columbus, Buffalo, etc. either).
nothing says sexy market like Detroit, Washington and Pittsburgh

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder if he'd waive for Toronto, they need a goalie and they have a good reputation with Russian players.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
11 guys in HISTORY have played more than 100 games for the Leafs... 11 since 1980.. that is a long ass time. Put antoher way.. 548 guys have suited up for the Leafs since 1980... 11 were from Russia. None of them were prominent.

View attachment 514159

The most prominent being Mogilny in his twilight years. His best as a Leaf was his 6th best as an NHLer.

I don't know where you are getting this from.. please help me understand where these former players settled.. who are they?

View attachment 514160

The Yukon has more Russians than Ontario. So does Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Northern Richmond Hill in Toronto is a sizable Russian community, and a sizable Russian Jewish community (which may not directly identify as Russian on a census). Yushkevich, Igor Korolev (rip), Ponikovsky, Mironov, and Antropov (Kazahk born) have all settled here post career.

The way you are looking at numbers is so broken it's ridiculous. The Yukon does not have more Russians than Ontario. Ontario accounts for about 40% of Canada. You do realize 1.7% of Ontario is bigger than the Yukon in total population by a massive number. If you looked at total numbers, I would think Ontario would have more despite the smaller percentages.

Edit: Maybe read this part next time

RUSSIANS.png

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

View attachment 514159

View attachment 514160

Do you not know much about Canada or not know how percentages work?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
All players could be paid via NHL headquarters (NYC) somehow. Tax rates would all be the same that way. IDK how feasible it is, but it's an idea.
Where you are paid from doesn't matter, it's all about where the money is earned. My paycheck came out of Wisconsin for years but lived in Tennessee. My taxes were based off Tennessee.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

HILTON HEAD

Apr 3, 2008
I’d send him to Bridgeport then. My Islander brethren would tell you he is playing great and the team has let him down. Stats don’t lie, 3-12-1 and 2.90 GAA. If a team offered us a 2nd and 4th I’d drive him to the airport myself. Have you seen gas prices, yeah that’s how much I want him g-o-n-e.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I like to think Varlamov wasn't prompted, or asked, but just called the guy reporting this out of no where and was like "do you want a huge outrage story?"

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'd like to see some kind of evidence for it being because of factors outside of those teams' control.

If a player can nix a trade to 20+ teams, then yeah, there's a strong likelihood that any given 6 or 7 teams will be on it.

As I said, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Calgary have largely gotten whoever they've wanted in the past couple of years.

Ottawa can't attract or retain players because it's one disaster after another with them, and they're also not willing to pay competitive salaries.

Edmonton can't attract or retain players because their front office is an embarrassment who can't put a competitive roster together, and the media pillories players instead of management.

Winnipeg is the only city that I think has a legitimate claim to victim hood.

I mean, it's not like the taxes, weather, and amenities are that much more attractive in Buffalo or St. Paul compared to Calgary or Ottawa.
Buffalo and Minnesota have had great teams since when?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
That's a little surprising because he could actually make them a good team, Mcdavid, Driasatil and Kane, assuming they keep Kane, with an actual good goalie is a very good team.

Varlamov could be the piece in net they need.

I'm surprised he doesn't want to play with 2 of the top 4 players in the world

He is not a forward looking for a new contract.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad