Rumor: Varlamov won't waive for Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
When Mrazek implodes today itll force Dubas to get interested if he isnt already. Mrazek will have to go back for cap to work........what else is needed?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
When Mrazek implodes today itll force Dubas to get interested if he isnt already. Mrazek will have to go back for cap to work........what else is needed?
I can’t see Lou making a lateral move cap wise (technically worse due to the extra year at a very similar cap hit) for a much worse goaltender. Mrazek having an extra year just makes him a non starter in the deal altogether. The only reason he’d be moved is to clear cap space (which isn’t necessary at this moment) unless the move laterally cap wise helps improve the team. The pieces that the Islanders need, the Leafs aren’t giving up in return for Varlamov and they don’t have any expiring contracts to balance out. It just wouldn’t work.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I can’t see Lou making a lateral move cap wise (technically worse due to the extra year at a very similar cap hit) for a much worse goaltender. Mrazek having an extra year just makes him a non starter in the deal altogether. The only reason he’d be moved is to clear cap space (which isn’t necessary at this moment) unless the move laterally cap wise helps improve the team. The pieces that the Islanders need, the Leafs aren’t giving up in return for Varlamov and they don’t have any expiring contracts to balance out. It just wouldn’t work.
Yeah its a tough sell I agree. But we need it so up to Dubie to figure it out. Maybe a third team stupid enough to take on Mrazek?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah its a tough sell I agree. But we need it so up to Dubie to figure it out. Maybe a third team stupid enough to take on Mrazek?
That would be the only way to make it possible if Varlamov was fine with it. Retention wouldn’t work because Mrazek clogs up space (cap and roster) for the Islanders to bring up Skarek and give him a shot.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
That would be the only way to make it possible if Varlamov was fine with it. Retention wouldn’t work because Mrazek clogs up space (cap and roster) for the Islanders to bring up Skarek and give him a shot.

MY bet is if Islanders get rid of Varlamov, they will try resign Greiss in the offseason

Reactions: CupHolders

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
MY bet is if Islanders get rid of Varlamov, they will try resign Greiss in the offseason
Which can be done for quite a bit cheaper then Mrzaek at $4.8x2 after this season. I can’t see him making over $2m which would save them $3m to use in other areas to address (middle pairing LD or possibly bargain bin forward as an expirement in the top 6).

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
..and probably said no to most Canadian teams as many players do.

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.
Lol I see some Leafs fans are still upset about Stamkos signing with Toronto, maybe he wanted to win a Stanley Cup and took a little less to have what in his mind was a better opportunity to win. Was it a mistake as Toronto has won 2 straight Cups and Tampa get put out in the first round every year?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't get all the Oilers fans upset about this. Y'all were trying to convince us that Varlamov is just a more expensive Koskinen just a month ago.
I don't know, I think a lot of Oiler fans wanted to make a move for Varlamov, but didn't like the valuation that some had on him. I wouldn't trade Koskinen+ for him like I would have a month ago though, not with how Koskinen has played recently. He's our only chance at the playoffs right now, sadly.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I actually like Toronto, but if it's like Toronto versus LA or Miami or New York ... usually it's alll about those cities.

For Russian players I'm not even sure if it's so much the players themselves that care, but a Russian wife/girlfriend can often push for a glamour US market.

Ontario born players love Toronto, so that's a big enough advantage. Boy do the Raptors have problems attracting players to Toronto though. Kawhi won a title and it still wasn't enough to convince him to stay.

Of course these are generalizations but I think there's some truth there. For whatever reason British Columbia born players have a giant hard on for Edmonton, the Oilers clean up with UFAs from B.C.

Russian players don't sign for Canada it seems. Montreal had a bit of a Russian thing going about 10 years ago but not since, kinda makes sense as it's probably the most European style North American city.
Now do Toronto vs Buffalo. ;)

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Most FA's seem to sign with Canadian teams when they're past their prime and nobody else will look at them.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Most FA's seem to sign with Canadian teams when they're past their prime and nobody else will look at them.

Well yeah, most players don't reach FA until they are near the end or past their prime. You could say the same for every team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad