Rumor: Varlamov won't waive for Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

noo

May 10, 2021
Has any player ever actually said they wouldn't play in Canada specifically because of taxes? Seems kind of unlikely imo, when you're that rich there's ways to get around paying full tax

Probably has more to do with the team/organisation/city/media/weather/etc.. plus the idea moving to another country might just be too much for some people? It could be any combination of those and many other reasons why, weird how people's first reaction is always taxes lol

The last player that didn't want to sign in Toronto and gave a reason (Bogo) it was because of all the covid restrictions, but I've heard Alberta is kinda like the states with very loose rules, and most provinces are dropping restrictions now anyways so that's probably irrelevant now eh

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You are correct, my apologies....last summer they were linked to Ullmark IIRC.
Cool, he's a Bruin, so linked to one guy who didn't sign in Edmonton is doing all he can then? Again, he stood pat thinking this was good enough, it was not. Holland should be let go.

He should be let go for the help he hasn't found the team and he should be let go for NOT letting Tippett and Co go after losing to the Jets after losing the Hawks.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Colour me shock the losers on this board can not read and actually understand that the player in question has TEN teams on his no trade list and WILL NOT WAIVE TO ANY OF THEM. So can you guys name the other 9 shit shows in the nhl?

This was covered back in novembet. I think a list was posted by nyi fans.

Reactions: Just a Fan

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Cool, he's a Bruin, so linked to one guy who didn't sign in Edmonton is doing all he can then? Again, he stood pat thinking this was good enough, it was not. Holland should be let go.

He should be let go for the help he hasn't found the team and he should be let go for NOT letting Tippett and Co go after losing to the Jets after losing the Hawks.
I’m not making excuses, just pointing out that they did attempt to go after goaltending the last 2 off seasons.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Colour me shock the losers on this board can not read and actually understand that the player in question has TEN teams on his no trade list and WILL NOT WAIVE TO ANY OF THEM. So can you guys name the other 9 shit shows in the nhl?

This was covered back in novembet. I think a list was posted by nyi fans.

16 teams per capfriendlly and i've never seen an actual full list of teams made public, so i doubt that

Reactions: HBK27

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I'm sure going from paying 47.46% in NYI to 47.56% in Edmonton would be ruinous for him. Definitely not just a fan of the leagues richest team complaining that the Leafs can't just buy cups.

Also, if there were a huge disparity in tax between the two cities how would getting rid of the salary cap change that? He doesn't negotiate a new contract when he gets to Edmonton.

Semyon Varlamov Income Tax Calculator Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I think the issue is real, it just doesn't apply in this specific scenario. Think it has a lot more to do with moving from New York to go to Edmonton... can't really blame him.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
A large % of players want nothing to do with the local Canadian sports media and the fans bases that come with living in those cities.

I have heard many players off the record say that the reason players like playing in America is because if your losing or having a bad season in an American market nobody really cares but if your losing in a Canadian market.....well just look at every single Canadian city after a playoff loss or a bad regular season. It becomes toxic and can sink a player mentally.

Obviously when a team is winning the fan bases, media and all that tends to go away.

Reactions: CupHolders

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No doubt Canadian teams GMs havent done the best job but you gotta admit the deck is stacked against them as well. 2 fairly big name goalies have rejected Edmonton.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
A large % of players want nothing to do with the local Canadian sports media and the fans bases that come with living in those cities.

I have heard many players off the record say that the reason players like playing in America is because if your losing or having a bad season in an American market nobody really cares but if your losing in a Canadian market.....well just look at every single Canadian city after a playoff loss or a bad regular season. It becomes toxic and can sink a player mentally.

Obviously when a team is winning the fan bases, media and all that tends to go away.

Canadian fans are more toxic in general, you can get that flavor simply by reading this website. They don't get sad after a loss, they want blood. That is not a virtue. Coupled with higher taxes and lower quality of life, why would a player with any control choose to go north? Answer: they usually don't.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
This 100%. Great post.

It’s ironic how so many Canadian teams hire bad GMs and the no-state income tax teams and geographically favourable (sometimes both) hire genius GMs.

I do realize that many US teams have the same tax challenges as the Canadian teams but then ask yourself…
Between Edmonton and New York…
Better weather?
Less travel?
Lifestyle?
Fishbowl effect?
Pressure?

There is a reason no Canadian team has won a Cup in 30 years.
I am sure it is combination of those things. I can imagine established players, especially players that played the majority or all their career in the US likely also married someone from there and had a family there as well probably would not want to come to places like Winnipeg and Edmonton. If I was in their shoes and had zero connection to Canada it is likely I would rather stay in the US and likely my family would as well. I can't really blame them. Places like Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto would probably have less objections.

Reactions: zar

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I wouldn't removing NTC or NMC clauses entirely. OR make them full and unwaivable. So they aren't given out like freaking candy.

Not sure this part makes a player play where they don't want to play . They just refuse to report and demand a trade somewhere else . Most players would report but if they are really against it they aren't coming especially when they can return home to play . I guess that may not be an option if the KHL goes broke

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
..and probably said no to most Canadian teams as many players do.

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.
You cannot tell me that taxes are the only reasons some players don’t want to play in Edmonton or Winnipeg or Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad