Rumor: Varlamov won't waive for Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Regardless, there is no coincidence that if managed well, the top teams will be Seattle, Dallas, Florida, Tampa, and Vegas more often then not unless it's fixed.

"if well managed" is doing A LOT of heavy lifting in that sentence. Vegas was a top team and went to the finals in their first year with a team comprised entirely of expansion draft and trade players (maybe Engelland was signed after being selected, but that's because he already lived there in the offseason). So about 5% of their roster at most could be said to have signed there for the tax rate, and it was a depth player that wouldn't have cost much anywhere.

Of all those teams the only one that actually gets better deals for their players is Tampa, and that's because they are a winning team (and have nice weather).

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Sounds like Canadians should start voting for people who will lower taxes. I dont see why the NHL should in anyway change their business model to favor high tax locations. The states have the same issues with the difference between states like California and NY to states like Texas and Florida.

Canadians should definitely not lower the tax rates for millionaires in the hopes that it increases Stanley Cup odds...

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Actually a lot of players seem to have all Canadian teams in their NTC.
I'd like to see some kind of evidence for it being because of factors outside of those teams' control.

If a player can nix a trade to 20+ teams, then yeah, there's a strong likelihood that any given 6 or 7 teams will be on it.

As I said, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Calgary have largely gotten whoever they've wanted in the past couple of years.

Ottawa can't attract or retain players because it's one disaster after another with them, and they're also not willing to pay competitive salaries.

Edmonton can't attract or retain players because their front office is an embarrassment who can't put a competitive roster together, and the media pillories players instead of management.

Winnipeg is the only city that I think has a legitimate claim to victim hood.

I mean, it's not like the taxes, weather, and amenities are that much more attractive in Buffalo or St. Paul compared to Calgary or Ottawa.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Regardless, there is no coincidence that if managed well, the top teams will be Seattle, Dallas, Florida, Tampa, and Vegas more often then not unless it's fixed.
Tampa made some excellent choices in their drafts to build that team, Florida was built through mainly drafting and trades. How does this tax disparity have anything to do with that? Or are you implying that Stamkos at 8.5, Point at 9.5, Vasi at 9.5, Kuch at 9.5, Hedman at 7.8, McDonagh at 6.75, Ekblad at 7.5, Hub at 5.9, Reinhart at 6.5, Bob at 10 etc etc were all below market deals at the time they were signed? Some of them look like steals now but were fair market contracts when the players signed them. Most of the UFA's signed by those team in particular were depth players or cast-offs who found their games with those teams.

Reactions: Stubu and Tedst

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its hard to be win as a Team in Canada, when the GM only has access to 25% of the available players that an American GM does.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Tampa made some excellent choices in their drafts to build that team, Florida was built through mainly drafting and trades. How does this tax disparity have anything to do with that? Or are you implying that Stamkos at 8.5, Point at 9.5, Vasi at 9.5, Kuch at 9.5, Hedman at 7.8, McDonagh at 6.75, Ekblad at 7.5, Hub at 5.9, Reinhart at 6.5, Bob at 10 etc etc were all below market deals at the time they were signed? Some of them look like steals now but were fair market contracts when the players signed them. Most of the UFA's signed by those team in particular were depth players or cast-offs who found their games with those teams.
Exactly. Point and Vasilevsky signed at the top of their market value. Ekblad and Bobrovsky were overpaid when they were signed.

Meanwhile Tavares took a $2m less to come home, and Toronto's entire defense are on sweetheart deals.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I also want to hear more about this story.
What would a fair deal to move Varlamov to Edmonton even look like? What pieces can they offer NYI along with cap coming back?

Holland used the excuse of "nobody wants to come here" a few months ago to cover his ass regarding why his offseason was so bad. I find it highly convenient that "Varly won't waive" (like as if it isn't his right and prerogative) is the only nugget we're hearing about this situation.

Reactions: virothepyro

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
..and probably said no to most Canadian teams as many players do.

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.

That's been debunked by NHL agents, most notably Allan Walsh. There are loopholes to get around paying the increased tax, and NHL players have financial advisors/agents that know how to take advantage of those.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.
That and medical policies

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sounds like Canadians should start voting for people who will lower taxes. I dont see why the NHL should in anyway change their business model to favor high tax locations. The states have the same issues with the difference between states like California and NY to states like Texas and Florida.

Lmao yes. Everyone in Canada should absolutely vote for politicians promising to lower the top marginal tax rates, solely for the purposes of their favourite NHL team being able to get more players.

This site is free folks. Social Services? Healthcare? Climate change adaptation? Naaah. Scrap all that. Edmonton needs Semyon Varlamov.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I doubt that. People specifically don't want to go to Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa. Players waive for Vancouver all the time, and none of Toronto, Calgary, or Montreal have had difficulty signing free agents.

And I bet that Edmonton, Alberta has a lower overall tax burden than Nassau County, New York.

He has a 10 team no trade clause. Reportedly oilers, jets, sabres, kracken, flames are also on the list. I think a NYI fan posted the complete list.

So the oilers are not alone in teams he won't go to

So reportedly we know 6 of the 10 teams on Varlamov's no trade list.

Toronto seems to be in on every good player available whether through trade or as UFAs. And yet they don't get them all.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That's been debunked by NHL agents, most notably Allan Walsh. There are loopholes to get around paying the increased tax, and NHL players have financial advisors/agents that know how to take advantage of those.

Yeah, it's not hard to believe people are this dumb, but still disappointing that so many on this website still fall for the "it's all about taxes why no one signs in Canada" narrative. Total income taxes in California and New York likely outpace most Canadian provinces, yet no one says players don't want to sign in New York!

Only half the games are played in their home city, so off the bat, the "heavy" Canadian income taxes only apply to half of a player's salary. If the player isn't an idiot, he should have a financial advisor shuffling his money into numerous tax-advantaged accounts.

Plus, if a player really wanted to maximize their income, playing in a big Canadian city would likely present tons of sponsorship and ad opportunities. At one point it seemed like half the Vancouver Canucks were "ambassadors" for Audi.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I should have realized this would degenerate into "no one wants to play in Edmonton because they suck haha" type thread. Mea Culpa.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Don't blame him. Edmonton is trash! When your top 2 players only care about padding their stats, it kind of reflects on the rest of the team.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
So reportedly we know 6 of the 10 teams on Varlamov's no trade list.

Toronto seems to be in on every good player available whether through trade or as UFAs. And yet they don't get them all.

It's not really that Toronto is in on all the trades or rumours, it's mostly clickbait since the fanbase is so huge and so crazy about the team that they are an easy mark for a few extra click dollars.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I don't know why everyone keeps brining up the noone wants to play in Canada argument? Did Varlamov say this?

It's not like Edmonton is some powerhouse team, they're not even in the playoffs right now.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

:laugh: Ah yes, here we are again with the bullshit excuse.

Taxes are a complete non factor.

Reactions: common12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad