Value of: Vancouver's 11th overall pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Feb 19, 2018
With the heavily rumoured interest for well over a year this has Lafrenier written all over it. I could see something like.

Van: Lafrenier + Rangers 1st 23

NYR: 11 overall + Hoglander

Rangers get a replacement player who can perform lower in the lineup with lots of potential and an opportunity to draft a bit lower.

Canucks take on a former high pick who has struggled but has ties to the team in his former agent. Canucks get a Chance at a Willander or faller in the draft.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Vancouver would take it I have to think.
Can’t pass up on Marner and Pettersson on one line.
Question is, why do the Leafs do this?
Not cool, dude. He’s a regular poster who’s been following the team for a while. You know that.
This civil war between Canucks fans needs to end

My main reasoning is Boeser is still prime age- wont be 27 years old till february, so fits our core's age window, hes a right wing to replace Marner, and he has 2 years left on his contract at a cap hit of $6.65, which gives us close to $4.5m in cap space.

on top of the additional 4.5m cap space, as well as kerfoot and holl coming off the books, we could sign Bertuzzi if hed be interested, or Orlov if hes interested.

Then we can either draft with the 11th and 27th picks, or trade them.

our top line takes a hit, but the overall structure of the team is way better

Last edited:
Reactions: Coffees

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
So, the general consensus is that the Canucks should keep their pick and re-stock their barren prospect cupboards?

Sounds reasonable.

Unfortunately, since this is the common sense plan according to the vast majority, they will probably trade the pick!

With the heavily rumoured interest for well over a year this has Lafrenier written all over it. I could see something like.

Rangers get a replacement player who can perform lower in the lineup with lots of potential and an opportunity to draft a bit lower.

Canucks take on a former high pick who has struggled but has ties to the team in his former agent. Canucks get a Chance at a Willander or faller in the draft.
I'd honestly rather keep Hogs over Lafreinere at this point. He is a very unique player.

Lafs' value is inflated due to where he was selected. His real value at this point is around a 2nd+.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

We need a C or D

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I'd be willing to offer something along the lines of:

To Vancouver: Montreal Canadiens 1st round pick (acquired from Florida, somewhere between 29-32), Montreal Canadiens 2nd round pick (37th overall), one of our 4th round picks (we have 3) and Jake Evans (cheap center depth).

To Montreal: 11th overall pick.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Canucks are going to need cost controlled ELCs and young players as we transition out of all these bad contracts and rebuild around our core of EP, Hughes, Hronek, Demko, and Kuz.

The problem is the franchise is in such dire shambles, and we have like 7 or 8 awful contracts that need to be unloaded. Nobody wants them, and everyone wants a high price to take just a single one on. How on earth do we move even half of them without crippling our drafting and development over the next bunch of years?

Anyways. I could see the pick being moved for the right trade. It would have to be a specific guy coming back, and a specific guy going out. So one of our winger contracts + the 11th going out for a good player aged right coming back to compliment the core.

Which seems implausible, but that would be what I think management would be after. We're gonna have to be clever, cute, and lucky to get out of these cap issues.

Feb 19, 2018
We need a C or D
I don’t disagree but I’m going by rumours and speculation. We need high end young potential and this is that regardless of positional need. In this proposal we downgrade draft position and also trade a winger for winger. You use the Rangers pick to still draft a C or D

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Canucks are going to need cost controlled ELCs and young players as we transition out of all these bad contracts and rebuild around our core of EP, Hughes, Hronek, Demko, and Kuz.

The problem is the franchise is in such dire shambles, and we have like 7 or 8 awful contracts that need to be unloaded. Nobody wants them, and everyone wants a high price to take just a single one on. How on earth do we move even half of them without crippling our drafting and development over the next bunch of years?

Anyways. I could see the pick being moved for the right trade. It would have to be a specific guy coming back, and a specific guy going out. So one of our winger contracts + the 11th going out for a good player aged right coming back to compliment the core.

Which seems implausible, but that would be what I think management would be after. We're gonna have to be clever, cute, and lucky to get out of these cap issues.
Myers deal is up after this year. OEL is on a terrible deal for 4 more, but outside of the that, what 5 or 6 other contracts are you talking about?

Garland and Boeser are both overpaid by a million based on their years last year's performance, but are not untradeable, especially when you look at his years UFA crop. Retain 1 to 1.5 million on either and they are not tough to move. The issue with these two is less to do with the contracts, and more to do with the makeup of our roster having far too much tied up on the wing.

Poolman and Pearson are both LTIR next year and will give us 5 mill in cap relief.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

no thanks

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Canucks should be able to get a pretty damn good winger for that pick.
Yes we definitely need another winger. Definitely...not like Garland, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Kravatsov, Hoglander etc. Are enough so we should get a bunch more

#11 dosen't even give you a possible NHLer player , so of course you are getting less.
Harris, Dvorak and Gurianov are no gamble and could help Vancouver next year .
#11 , you dont know what you are getting .. might be a Alex Turcotte kidda player.
First pick outside of top 10 are so overrated.
If you think you are getting a top 6 player establish for a Gamble lollll good luck
In that case we should trade Garland for pick 12 and Boeser for pick 13 by your logic

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
As a fan of neither team, Lafreniere for 11th is a great deal.

The Rangers avoid a looming cap headache and get a pretty strong return for what seems to be a disminishing asset.

The Canucks get a piece young enough charge their pipeline and old enough to complement their core, and who seems to fit the current organizational philosophy.

The boom/bust factor for 11 this year and Laf are probably roughly equivalent.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Then why would you gamble offering nhl players for such a wildcard pick?
His logic goes like this....for a high pick outside of top 10 offer crap players because it's in your teams best interest. For 11th or 12th pick that your team trades, get the best young player in the NHL still on ELC. Basically his logic goes by what his team is trading to rip off other teams lol

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

The Rangers avoid a looming cap headache and get a pretty strong return for what seems to be a disminishing asset.

The Canucks get a piece young enough charge their pipeline and old enough to complement their core, and who seems to fit the current organizational philosophy.

I rather trust our scouts then to trade for a potential if not already a complete bust who is at best a middle 6 winger and would need to be re-signed soon. No thanks, Laf trade value is not that high anymore. Probably if NYR traded him last year, they could probably get pick 11 but not anymore, especially in this deep draft

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Can he play right D?

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I rather trust our scouts then to trade for a potential if not already a complete bust who is at best a middle 6 winger and would need to be re-signed soon. No thanks, Laf trade value is not that high anymore. Probably if NYR traded him last year, they could probably get pick 11 but not anymore, especially in this deep draft

You don’t think Laf could still explode getting the opportunity with a Miller or an EP that he never got in NY?

The pick is a better option if you are rebuilding, but the management says you’re not. The pick isn’t going to help for 3 years minimum. If Laf breaks out, it’s happening soon and he helps you now.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

7 or 8 bad contracts? More like 1and if OEL is your worst contract and only +30 contract with more than a year left things aren't that bad.

Myers is almost certainly moved, if he refuses to accommodate you simply put him on waivers where he either is forced to play in Abby or a team that needs to reach the capfloor would gladly claim him for 1 million on a 6 mill hit but I'm sure it wouldn't come to that since he's playing for a contract.

Garland at 4.for 55 points in a bottom 6 role isn't terrible
Brock for his production and potential is maybe a million too much but hardly terrible.

Pearson, poolman are LTIR so who in God's name are you talking about?
And this whole cap hell thing is 1 year away from solving itself or a few moves and a cap increase to a point where we have money to add in the summer.
Next year all the dead cap as well comes of the books.
If we move Myers and Garland and after LTIR we would have 13 million in cap with a full roster and that's without the rumored 4.5 increase this summer. How is that cap hell?
Like what am I missing?
The funny thing is every year since 2018 I've heard we have no cap, yet every single year we have added multiple players in ufa without ever paying to dump a contract.

This fanbase on hf needs to quit bitching, now that Alvin is in charge and JR is in a home, he's actually made moves that seem like there's actual long-term planning factored into them

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey

Pass from the Canucks POV.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

No thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad