Value of: Vancouver Vs Colorado Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I kinda agree but for argument's sake let's say that Vancouver wins the lottery. If they did that then moving Pettersson for futures would be a solid move because it would be a waste to have a ~10m player as a 2nd line C and unlike Miller he would actually return a great package.
If somehow (as in hell has frozen over and pigs are flying) we win the lottery then we likely put Bedard and EP on the same line, seemingly either can play W or C.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
If the Canucks draft where they are today at roughly 6/7th overall, would Colorado accept the following:

2023 6/7th overall, Hoglander, and perhaps a 2025 2nd for Byram + Newhook?

Canucks would be taking the risk of having Byram with multiple concussions in his career but if he manages to stay healthy it would be worth the while. Avs get a young forward with high potential and another unprotected 1st in 2025.
You will probably not get a talent like BoBy with 6th. Byram will not be going anywhere. Newhook might be a trade piece at some point.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You will probably not get a talent like BoBy with 6th. Byram will not be going anywhere. Newhook might be a trade piece at some point.
Considering how deep this draft is that is a ridiculous statement, there may not be a dman like Byram available but to say Benson, or Smith etc. who are supposed to be 1st line C's won't measure up, shows how little you know about this draft and shows how much your overhyping Byram.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Considering how deep this draft is that is a ridiculous statement, there may not be a dman like Byram available but to say Benson, or Smith etc. who are supposed to be 1st line C's won't measure up, shows how little you know about this draft and shows how much your overhyping Byram.
Ok. you obviously have not seen one game Byram has played.

Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I kinda agree but for argument's sake let's say that Vancouver wins the lottery. If they did that then moving Pettersson for futures would be a solid move because it would be a waste to have a ~10m player as a 2nd line C and unlike Miller he would actually return a great package.
I was wondering this. Say Columbus wins the lottery and Vancouver is picking 7th overall.

What if Columbus offered the 1st pick for EP. You do that if you’re Vancouver don’t you? I’d think so given the ELC and home town kid.

Now another one. Do you do this trade?

EP + 7th overall 2023 for the Bedard pick?

Last edited:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I was wondering this. Say Columbus wins the lottery and Vancouver is picking 7th overall.

What if Columbus offered the 1st pick for EP. You do that if you’re Vancouver don’t you.
Yes, of course, though why the hell would Columbus?

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018

What if Columbus offered the 1st pick for EP. You do that if you’re Vancouver don’t you.

The only player in the leauge that would warrant a 1 for 1 trade is McDavid and neither teams would do that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yes, of course, though why the hell would Columbus?
So I agree. Easy call IMO. Favors Vancouver.

How about this. EP + 2023 7th overall pick for Bedard pick? Now you’re trading a 1C in his early prime + a potential 1st line winger on ELC for Bedard.

Columbus may want to compete now. EP + Johnny hockey on the same line. Add Laine on the PP. that’s a ton of top line firepower.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hughes will be a first ballot hall-of-famer and a defining player of his generation, breaking numerous records along the way. Not sure about Pettersson. Byram will never touch Quinn current performance or value his entire career, not even close. And probably no one will remember who he is in 20 years. Opinions like this are nothing short of complete foolishness.
Are you Hughes agent? I’m guessing yes.

Quinn probably goes down as the 3rd best Hughes brother. This is a career -12 player with a meager 24 goals in 265 games. Maybe he racks up a lot of secondary assists but he’s not going to win anything in Vancouver any time soon. He won’t be winning any Norris awards with his mediocre D and lack of goals on a bad team.

This guy QBs a PP with EP, Miller, Horvat, Kuzmeko, Boeser and so on. And he can barely score? Scores in less than 1 in ten games. Isn’t a defensive stalwart.

He’s a very good player. And that’s all he is. Dude is no where close to a Makar. He’s not even a McAvoy.

He’s a guy that may be best remembered as Jack’s older bother.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That 6th or 7th pick should give us Towes and Newhook and we give you Myers to make the cap work 😏

The 6/7th pick right now are projected to draft a few small USHL forwards that will take multiple years to make do anything in the NHL. They might even bust. So there's no way the Avs would do it considering Byram is playing 20 mins a night already.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Who is the Dman that has more potential than BoBy in this draft?
Ohhh bud, that's not what you said though, you said talent, you didn't specify what position, and you know that, but to answer your question the only one that comes close (in my opinion) is Reinbacher, same outlook as Byram when he was drafted which is top pairing dman.

So I agree. Easy call IMO. Favors Vancouver.

How about this. EP + 2023 7th overall pick for Bedard pick? Now you’re trading a 1C in his early prime + a potential 1st line winger on ELC for Bedard.

Columbus may want to compete now. EP + Johnny hockey on the same line. Add Laine on the PP. that’s a ton of top line firepower.
Yah any other year, without a doubt, no team gives up the chance to have Bedard. Maybe the Oilers, maybe. lol

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Been watching him since he was a Giant, so, yah, I've watched him play, your comment is still ridiculous, again shows how little you know about this draft.
It’s a great draft thru the top 10-12 picks. Pick 6/7 are valuable for sure.

Byram has performed at an elite level in a Stanley Cup finals at age 20 / 21.

One is still magic beans. Good looking beans. May yield a bumper crop. But you already have seen Byrams ceiling and it’s top shelf play at the highest level.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Quinn probably goes down as the 3rd best Hughes brother. This is a career -12 player with a meager 24 goals in 265 games. Maybe he racks up a lot of secondary assists but he’s not going to win anything in Vancouver any time soon. He won’t be winning any Norris awards with his mediocre D and lack of goals on a bad team.

This guy QBs a PP with EP, Miller, Horvat, Kuzmeko, Boeser and so on. And he can barely score? Scores in less than 1 in ten games. Isn’t a defensive stalwart.

He’s a very good player. And that’s all he is. Dude is no where close to a Makar. He’s not even a McAvoy.

I think your underrating him here buddy, his MO isn't goal scoring, it's skating and playmaking, he's also just fine defensively, not mediocre, come on man, you said you've been watching us more, you should know this. Fastest dman to 200 assists in NHL history, and a plus player the last two years on a tire fire of a team.

It’s a great draft thru the top 10-12 picks. Pick 6/7 are valuable for sure.

Byram has performed at an elite level in a Stanley Cup finals at age 20 / 21.

One is still magic beans. Good looking beans. May yield a bumper crop. But you already have seen Byrams ceiling and it’s top shelf play at the highest level.
He's played 73 NHL games man and has 33 points, and has major injury concerns, we haven't seen his ceiling yet. One really good playoff again does not make a player, if it did, Demko would be the most valuable player in league history.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
This has become so tedious.
Makar v Hughes became Makar v Fox now Byram v Hughes.
Soon I'm sure we'll get Dahlin and Seider into the mix in some of these threads.
The arguments always devolve to the same garbage back and forth.

Yep, we all have great dmen that offer differing strengths and weaknesses.
Avs having 2 that compliment each other is fantastic, but it doesn't discount how good this young generation of Dmen are.
Trying to remember the last time I felt like there were so many candidates that look like they could vie for a Norris in any given season over the next decade.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Most fans wouldn't trade that pick at all. Offering it for Byram doesn't devalue the pick. Doubt any team in the top 10 this year would trade it for Byram tbh.

How many of those same fans do you think would trade a 21 year old kid with elite 1D skills and a Cup ring for a pick in this draft that isn't Bedard?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
This has become so tedious.
Makar v Hughes became Makar v Fox now Byram v Hughes.
Soon I'm sure we'll get Dahlin and Seider into the mix in some of these threads.
The arguments always devolve to the same garbage back and forth.

Yep, we all have great dmen that offer differing strengths and weaknesses.
Avs having 2 that compliment each other is fantastic, but it doesn't discount how good this young generation of Dmen are.
Trying to remember the last time I felt like there were so many candidates that look like they could vie for a Norris in any given season over the next decade.
well said, I honestly can't remember an era like this one, its sure fun to watch.

How many of those same fans do you think would trade a 21 year old kid with elite 1D skills and a Cup ring for a pick in this draft that isn't Bedard?

Outside of the top 6 easily, inside the top 6 you won't find a team willing. Bedard is not the only elite guy, the top 4 is ridiculous especially.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The 6/7th pick right now are projected to draft a few small USHL forwards that will take multiple years to make do anything in the NHL. They might even bust. So there's no way the Avs would do it considering Byram is playing 20 mins a night already.
There is no way Canucks give Avs unprotected pick in 2023 that has a chance to get Bedard who has way higher value than both Toews and Newhook combined

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Wonder why Oiler trolls keep trying to discredit Canucks players like Hughes and Petersson. Quinn beat the likes of Leetch and Orr in fewest games to reach 200 assists and you say he will be the 3rd best Hughes? 🤡
I just want to know why Oilers fans keep trolling on Canucks? Then they make threads about winning the cup lol.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think your underrating him here buddy, his MO isn't goal scoring, it's skating and playmaking, he's also just fine defensively, not mediocre, come on man, you said you've been watching us more, you should know this. Fastest dman to 200 assists in NHL history, and a plus player the last two years on a tire fire of a team.

He's played 73 NHL games man and has 33 points, and has major injury concerns, we haven't seen his ceiling yet. One really good playoff again does not make a player, if it did, Demko would be the most valuable player in league history.
He’s a legit number 1 but it’s because of his skating, passing and transition. He’s better defensively than he’s given credit for but no… he’s not great at it. He’s like Girard in a lot of ways. Good at tracking the puck good stick check, Doesn’t get walked much. But a liability in the corners and in front of the net. His game lacks any kind of bite the better defenders all have. Even Makar has bite and blows guys up at times. Hughes doesn’t like hitting from what I seen. That’s a problem for me.

He’s mediocre defensively because that’s all he’ll ever be if he doesn’t add a physical element to his game.

Not scoring is also a problem. The best offensive Dmen all have better shots and score a lot more than he does.

Very good player. Obviously an elite passer. Elite skater too. But he’s got some pretty significant limitations as a physical presence and scorer.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would do this in a heartbeat for canucks lol

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
well said, I honestly can't remember an era like this one, its sure fun to watch.

Outside of the top 6 easily, inside the top 6 you won't find a team willing. Bedard is not the only elite guy, the top 4 is ridiculous especially.

My question was whether those same teams would give up Byram for a pick that isn't Bedard if the situation were reversed.

We're talking about a 21 year old recent 4OA pick with elite 1D skills whose only negatives are that he had a concussion last year and then a reported lower body injury this year, which has limited his ice time. That's it. There's nothing about his play that has disappointed in the slightest, and if he can stay healthy, he very well could be in the Norris conversation in the near future. And he's already shown he can play at a very high level in the playoffs, despite being so young.

Do you honestly trade that, even for the 2nd OA pick in this draft? Defensemen like Byram don't grow on trees, so giving him up for a forward prospect in this draft not named Connor Bedard seems like a bad choice to me, even for a team that also has Toews and Makar. It's taking on additional risk for what you can only hope will be a mostly lateral move.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad