Value of: Vancouver Vs Colorado Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I’ve seen plenty of Avs games and I think you’re being less than genuine. Also in this thread there seems to be some disconnect with some Avs fans who think Byram may be ahead at this point. The general sentiment on Toews even among Avs fans has tapered from calling him a top 5-10 defenseman and game to game he hasn’t been as effective. Also, much of those points are secondary in nature— he’s benefiting from others’ offense (like last year) by being good at defense and getting the puck up quickly. For example, he has more ES points than Makar, but Makar has far fewer share of secondary points. You wouldn’t convince anyone Toews is better than Makar because he has more ES points.

How is it less than genuine to point out that Toews is still having a great season, despite it being a little off from last season? He's still arguably one of the 10 best LHD in the NHL, even if the hype machine has moved on to the shiniest new toy.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
How is it less than genuine to point out that Toews is still having a great season, despite it being a little off from last season? He's still arguably one of the 10 best LHD in the NHL, even if the hype machine has moved on to the shiniest new toy.
If you read the point, it wasn’t that he wasn’t having a good season, it’s that last year there were multiple threads about him consistently. Much of those had posts about him being a top 5 or 10 defenseman in the league. It’s not that he isn’t or is, but that particular hype is no longer there. He hasn’t outperformed last year and in fact you could say this year isn’t as good as last year as you mentioned. Also, those stats without context was the other point I’m making, they don’t tell the whole story.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Avs fans are just too spoiled by an almost perfect season last year. Byram has also stolen some of toews spotlight (just like Makar/toews stole from Girard as well). Everyone compared to last season seems a bit off, we're not even hyping rantanen pacing for 50 goals.

Toews is still a beast though and I'm not sure any fans care about skeptics that cheer for lessor teams.
Why respond to my post if I’m a fan of a “lessor team”? What does that have to do substantively with what I said?

How about you go hang out with the royals and we peasants just avoid your gaze.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If you read the point, it wasn’t that he wasn’t having a good season, it’s that last year there were multiple threads about him consistently. Much of those had posts about him being a top 5 or 10 defenseman in the league. It’s not that he isn’t or is, but that particular hype is no longer there. He hasn’t outperformed last year and in fact you could say this year isn’t as good as last year.

Last year was his breakout season, when people around the league really started seeing how good he is, so of course there were going to be threads about him. This year, he's no longer the shiny new toy that everyone is fawning over, so there's no hype around him. What exactly are you trying to say by pointing this out?

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Last year was his breakout season, when people around the league really started seeing how good he is, so of course there were going to be threads about him. This year, he's no longer the shiny new toy that everyone is fawning over, so there's no hype around him. What exactly are you trying to say by pointing this out?
That was the point… the shine has worn off. Solid top pairing defenseman, not a top 10 defenseman.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That was the point… the shine has worn off. Solid top pairing defenseman, not a top 10 defenseman.

And you think the fact that there aren't a bunch of threads about him, because there's new breakout players getting hype this year, is somehow evidence that supports this claim? And I'm the one being "less than genuine"? :huh:

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
And you think the fact that there aren't a bunch of threads about him, because there's new breakout players getting hype this year, is somehow evidence that supports this claim? And I'm the one being "less than genuine"? :huh:
You’re the one saying it’s because there are new breakout players, I’m not. It’s not mutually exclusive, the shine can wear off and there can new players. Unless you think Toews is living up to his hype last year— then good on you but I disagree.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

The top 10 changes every year, especially at the lower end (7,8,9).

Unless you accomplish something significant like winning a Conn Smyth, winning a Norris (or at least get nominated a few times), it's hard to stay in that top tier from a hype perspective.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You’re the one saying it’s because there are new breakout players, I’m not. It’s not mutually exclusive, the shine can wear off and there can new players. Unless you think Toews is living up to his hype last year— then good on you but I disagree.

And you're the one saying that the amount of hype or the number of threads a player gets on HF somehow proves something about whether or not they are a top 10 defenseman. Any chance you have something that isn't utterly meaningless to support your claim that the shine has worn off on Toews, who is absolutely still one of the 10 best LHD in the NHL?

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
And you're the one saying that the amount of hype or the number of threads a player gets on HF somehow proves something about whether or not they are a top 10 defenseman. Any chance you have something that isn't utterly meaningless to support your claim that the shine has worn off on Toews, who is absolutely still one of the 10 best LHD in the NHL?
I don’t think you’re getting it, and this thread has been sidetracked long enough. As a point, @GirardSpinorama makes a point above I agree with and is along the lines of the discussion which you seem to be missing. The answer to your own question is in your own answer. He hasn’t performed like he did last year and there are less threads, if not none compared to the multiple last year, where he was claimed as a 5-10 defenseman (there was no LHD distinction). That’s the “evidence” the shine has worn off. I’m not sure how else to explain that to you.

Just because the shine wears off doesn’t mean he sucks— it just means he couldn’t sustain that hype. If you don’t agree, that’s fine. Not worth hashing over anymore.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don’t think you’re getting it, and this thread has been sidetracked long enough. As a point, @GirardSpinorama makes a point above I agree with and is along the lines of the discussion which you seem to be missing. The answer to your own question is in your own answer. He hasn’t performed like he did last year and there are less threads, if not none compared to the multiple last year, where he was claimed as a 5-10 defenseman (there was no LHD distinction). That’s the “evidence” the shine has worn off. I’m not sure how else to explain that to you.

Just because the shine wears off doesn’t mean he sucks— it just means he couldn’t sustain that hype. If you don’t agree, that’s fine. Not worth hashing over anymore.

What I still don't get it why it matters that you don't think Toews has lived up to some perceived hype from last year. Even without the hype this season, he's still clearly a top pairing D and one of the 10 best LHD in the NHL. As it stands, he's 27th in scoring among D, despite only having 2 PP points this season, while averaging the 7th most SH time per game of any D. Seems to me that the shine is still very clearly there, even if there's a lot fewer people pointing a light at it this season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

What will be interesting is if the Avs elect to put Toews on the market this summer, when he can be extended as part of the trade. He’s a vastly better player than Nurse or Seth Jones. He’s probably around a Wereski level player. He’ll be 29. No idea what his value would be. I suspect high because he can be a 1st pair player for several more seasons. But I’d hate to pay him Nurse money for 7-8 years. Yet he’s absolutely worth Nurse money right now and for the foreseeable future.

It’s a bit of a conundrum. He’s also super valuable to the Avs but it would be absurd asset management to let him walk in UFA for nothing. Especially if Byram and Makar are both playing like top pair dudes.

But no team needs 3 top pair guys. Especially with two very good middle pair level players like Manson and Girard playing 4th or 5th D minutes. That’s too much talent on the backend when you don’t have a 2C. Sakic isn’t dumb like Dubas. He won’t put all his eggs in one basket like Toronto did with their top 4 forwards.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
2 poor games show he's a long way away?? LOL

This is beneath even you! ;)

Refs definitely knew the situation and managed it well. I give credit to all involved. Pezzetta knew what he was doing. That meathead would have thrown a punch if it wasn't Byram.
He’s a -19. Guhle has produced several lamentable moments that show you he’s a rookie that makes many many mistakes. Maybe he’s a future stud. But he’s so far away from a finished project. He doesn’t belong in the WHL or the like. But he’s being over exposed in the NHL. He didn’t come in with the same more developed skill set as a Byram or even a Girard. He’s got a longer path to being an effective player.

He may get there. He may grow into a number 2 or 3. He’s s liability out there right now on many many shifts. His rookie mistakes are magnified by his position.

Last edited:

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
He’s a -19. Guhle has produced several lamentable moments that show you he’s a rookie that makes many many mistakes. Maybe he’s a future stud. But he’s so far away from a finished project. He doesn’t belong in the WHL or the like. But he’s being over exposed in the NHL. He didn’t come in with the same more developed skill set as a Byram or even a Girard. He’s got a longer path to being an effective player.

He may get there. He may grow into a number 2 or 3. He’s s liability out there right now on many many shifts. His rookie mistakes are magnified by his position.
thats just montreals gm leaving his defense out to dry. should have done more in the offseason to solidify the defense.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
1678909341081.png

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
thats just montreals gm leaving his defense out to dry. should have done more in the offseason to solidify the defense.
David Savard’s lack of effort on the Byram slam dunk goal was… noticeable. And gave Byram a killer sportsnet highlight vs an original six Canadian team. In Montreal with few other games on that night. Thanks Habs!

So I’m not calling you a liar. There are many reasons why you don’t want to trot out a team of rookies with a few bottom pair or bottom line level support players. Even the bad teams need some in their prime vets to establish culture and professionalism.

One reason why it’s not smart for the Habs to trade a Josh Anderson or Dvorak…

At least you’re not Vancouver with a bunch of Josh Anderson and Dvorak types (Garland, Boeser, Myers, OEL) on a mid lottery team… but with hardly any farm system talent coming up. If Guhle was a member of the Canucks, he’d be, by far, their best young talent. You guys probably have six or so young players that outrank anyone Vancouver has.

Last edited:

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
The gap between Byram and Hughes's hockey sense/transition abilities is just vastly smaller than the gap between their physical presence. You can build a team of 6 Byram's on the backend and be amazing. You can't build it with 6 Quinn Hughes.
Well if you try to build with 6 Quinn Hughes, you’ll get promoted to the Alien league

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Changed the title of the thread cause clearly that’s what the thread has become about

Anyways, y’all want Miller or what. We’ll throw in Myers as well to sweeten the package

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
The gap between Byram and Hughes's hockey sense/transition abilities is just vastly smaller than the gap between their physical presence. You can build a team of 6 Byram's on the backend and be amazing. You can't build it with 6 Quinn Hughes.
You should hope Byram becomes anything close to Hughes

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Lol hilarious. No. Byram is the best player in that group why would we give him up.

I wouldn’t trade Byram for anything short of a similar aged center with top line potential. Even then I’d much rather have Byram - Makar for the next 10 years and acquire a 2C through other means (Toews).

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
How much $$ is Bowen Byram projected to get in his next contract?

Wonder if it can be insured, unlike Micheal Ferland's contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad