Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Daniel Sprong signs with the Canucks (1 year, $975k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s a perfectly nice late summer depth signing. Sprong is what he is and is making 4th liner money because he’s a fourth liner. Some of the “masterclass!” commentary is more than a bit over-exuberant.

He will be a significant upgrade over PDG for the “squeaky wheel in the top six when we have injuries, totally buriable at the end of the 4th line when we don’t” role.

He will provide some useful regular season goal pop depth as the team goes through the injuries a team typically goes through, he will be a healthy scratch come playoff time and he will be on to his next team late in the summer of 2025 when yet another fanbase will become enamored with this “steal!!!!” as they calculate his goals/60 in their dreams.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pretty surprised at the price. Another low key good signing by Allvin.
Just need another top 4 D before the TDL and I think they’re solid everywhere.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
At first I though why?

Then I realized low cost depth doesn't hurt.

Then i remembered almost every FA deal signed by the Canucks this off season are incredibly low AAV short term deals that can result in easy trades in the season to recoup picks/assets for the future.

The ONLY questions I have are now regarding Podkolzin and Hoglander as they both seem to be on the outside looking in after this free agency period.

I don’t see Hoglander on the outside after a 24 goal season. The 12 best forwards are Miller, Petey, Boeser, Garland, DeBrusk, Joshua, Hoglander, Heinen, Suter, Blueger, Sherwood, and Sprong, which does put Podz on the outside though.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don't see how he's this garbage player some fans are saying he is, like you can't be a shit player with his rate of production even if it's in soft minutes and with minimal defensive impact.

I think the issue is that coaches would rather have a player who breaks even but "plays the right way" than a guy who outscores opponents but drives the coach crazy sometimes.

I do think Tocchet falls into this category as well(see Kuzmenko) so while I love this signing I'm not sure it'll work out but I'm glad Allvin is taking the low risk gamble here.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't see how he's this garbage player some fans are saying he is, like you can't be a shit player with his rate of production even if it's in soft minutes and with minimal defensive impact.

I think the issue is that coaches would rather have a player who breaks even but "plays the right way" than a guy who outscores opponents but drives the coach crazy sometimes.

I do think Tocchet falls into this category as well(see Kuzmenko) so while I love this signing I'm not sure it'll work out but I'm glad Allvin is taking the low risk gamble here.

He’s not a garbage player, he’s a limited usage player with a very streaky, but real, offensive bent who is going to provide some useful regular season production. He’s absolutely an NHL player. I’m not sure anybody denies that.

The issue is when the new fanbase exclaims they just pulled a major “masterclass” heist and tell the fans of the other six teams this dude has been on that “you guys have been using him wrong”.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I don’t see Hoglander on the outside after a 24 goal season. The 12 best forwards are Miller, Petey, Boeser, Garland, DeBrusk, Joshua, Hoglander, Heinen, Suter, Blueger, Sherwood, and Sprong, which does put Podz on the outside though.
I don't either but everyone seems to put Hoglander in almost as many trade suggestions as Garland. It's a bit crazy because it would be hard to replace 24 goals for 1.1 million

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Ah, I remember my "get excited about watching the Sprong experiment" days.

How was the 19-20 season already so long ago...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I really liked Sprong in DC. Dude has wheels and a lethal shot and is not afraid to use either. He’s beer league quality at defense which is the reason someone as talented as he is has bounced around like he has but there’s no denying he can score, even when not receiving regular shifts or hopping in and out of the lineup.

Could end up being one of the better signings of the offseason in terms of value if things go well.

Reactions: Grantham

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
975k for a guy averaging 20 goals a year playing 4th line minutes? Anyone talking shit is just jealous lol.

Who cares this could be the biggest steal of the deadline. Coach Toch won't put up with shit. Lets see what he can do with him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

I mean, have you watched him?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't either but everyone seems to put Hoglander in almost as many trade suggestions as Garland. It's a bit crazy because it would be hard to replace 24 goals for 1.1 million

Yea. It could make sense as part of a package on an upgrade but I think he’s probably more valuable to the team as is at his salary.

Reactions: Warh1ppy

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I mean, have you watched him?
I have(mostly when he was in Seattle). He has some wtf moments but also some “woah” moments but at the end of he day he’s a net positive player.

Like I said, most coaches and some fans prefer the more steady/predictable player even if their net impact is lower

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I mean they kinda have to, there are way too many forwards at this point.
it also depends on how well they do in camp. remember studnicka was good for a few games in preseason then he sucked later on and was the odd man out. traded to the sharks i believe for an ahler dman. hoglander/pods will be trade bait for sure. if they can parlay those two guys to getting another top 4 defenseman this team is set. no weaknesses at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad