Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Daniel Sprong signs with the Canucks (1 year, $975k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I was about to say, Sprong and Sherwood are both classic 4th line all offense guys so why not just roll with a bizarro world 4th line featuring two all offense wingers who have never met a shot they don’t like to take between Teddy, a guy who doesn’t shoot anyways and can act as a third defenseman.

I see already a tendency to put Sprong in the top six spot because of his scoring rate - but the thing about him is he can do his offensive damage in ten minutes with nobody linemates. Keeping him on some weird all offense lower line still gets you his offensive juice without exposing one of your core lines or additional important minutes to the poorer parts of his play, handicapping somebody like EP40 with extra babysitting duties. Guys like Heinen are much more equipped to be a low maintenance mesh higher in the line up than Sprong.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
I've heard some people talking about too many players so the prospect won't get a chance. I've never heard of teams complaining about depth. They didn't have enough and when Boeser went down they didn't have a lot of options.

DeBrusk, Heinen, Sprong can all play top 6
Not Heinen. He's not top 6 player.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
[/QUOTE]
Wouldn’t mind Heinen and DeBrusk with Petey and try Sherwood with Miller. Let Hoglander and Sprong have some soft minutes on the 4th to try to score
I like DeBrusk with Petey too. And Heinen could be a fit as well but if not at least EP has one legitimate top 6 winger. Let the other tweeners like Hoglander, Heinen etc fight it out for the second winger.
That’s a very deep forward group now.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Debrusk- Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Ep40 - Sprong
Garland - Bleuger - Joshua
Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

That would be fun, lets load it upđź‘€
I'm thinking along similar lines, but I would spread things out better in the top 9, like this:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen/Podkolzin-Suter-Sherwood

Top 2 lines each have one guy who isn't a true 1st/2nd liner (Hog/Sprong respectively), but it balances out well, and gives EP 2 new wingers that can bring the offence vs. last year. Sprong could be swapped out every few shifts with Hoglander (Suter up to Miller's line when this happens) to keep his minutes down and respond to key matchup situations on a temporary basis. And obviously, Sprong would be a great add to PP2, he should thrive there. Speaking of which...

PP1:

Boeser-Miller(net)-Garland
Hughes-Pettersson

PP2:

Debrusk(net)-Suter-Sprong
Hronek-Hoglander

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Always funny when an advanced stat dude is surprised that a player doesn’t get more usage when anyone who watches the player play with their eyes open can easily see why
Advanced stats continually prove how useless they are when it comes to players evaluation. It’s crazy teams are still trying to develop analytic departments when they are constantly proven wrong. They just don’t work for a heavily team based sport like hockey

Reactions: Fraser28

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
I like the signing, any move getting some scoring depth is a good one. But let's be real, other than the Detroit contract, dude's been near league minimum his entire career.
Lets see Tocc put that coach of the year thing to work and see what he can make of this guy.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
People are amazed Sprong signed this cheap? Dude is ass and front offices are well aware of this
For teams with deepish prospect depth, a guy like Sprong can usually be filled internally. Good offensive production but when you add in the defensive side…..a prospect getting something like 10-10 but being better defensively is more valuable.

For Vancouver this works because they don’t need to rush anyone from their already shallower prospect pool (Lekkerimaki)

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Advanced stats continually prove how useless they are when it comes to players evaluation. It’s crazy teams are still trying to develop analytic departments when they are constantly proven wrong. They just don’t work for a heavily team based sport like hockey
Eh, teams are developing analytics that work for them. The public advanced stats are in tough because they strive for generalizability, which is hard to do when systems differ. There's also a lack of peer review for public analytics, at least from what I've been able to see.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Depends on how they’re used. But if you’re making decisions based off them instead of the actual game tape it’s not a good use for them.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Eh, teams are developing analytics that work for them. The public advanced stats are in tough because they strive for generalizability, which is hard to do when systems differ. There's also a lack of peer review for public analytics, at least from what I've been able to see.
Fair, I am sure the internal analytics are a little more developed than what we see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad