Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Daniel Sprong signs with the Canucks (1 year, $975k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I suspect the demand wasn't very high for him given that it is a "late" summer signing and the number isn't very high.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He was on Detroit’s 4th line pretty much all of last year before being benched due to his atrocious defensive play. I’m not surprised he did not get more interest than this.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Love this move. Goal scoring was an issue so great to add depth in this area. And very cheaply too.

Alot better to turn to a guy like Sprong when a few guys are out as opposed to a Lafferty or Karlsson like we saw in the playoffs.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The box score stats are literally the only thing he provides, there’s a reason every coach stops wanting to play him despite the production
Rick turned myers into a good defensive player, I think this is his forward project

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
per 60 of 3.1 and 2.4 the past two seasons, i get hes a ghost defensively, but ill take that scoring efficiency any day over someone like Beauvillier

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Not sure about line combos but adding Sprong with no subtractions puts them at like 16 NHL caliber forwards of varying degrees

Petey
Miller
Boeser
DeBrusk
Hoglander
Garland
Joshua
Bleuger
Heinen
Sherwood
Suter
Podkolzin
PDG
Aman
Sprong
Karlsson

Obviously some of these guys will be in the AHL anyway but still
Di Giuseppe, Amen and Karlsson could all end up on waivers if every forward is healthy before the beginning of the regular season.

Podkolzin is also no longer waiver exempt and needs to earn a full time roster spot, could he make it or break it time for Podkolzin.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If there's ever a best case situation for Sprong to put it together and succeed, this is it.

I'd bet he does very well in van and gets a 2/3 yr sherwood/Blueger esque extension.

Reactions: David71

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sprong doesn't get more ice time because NHL coaches are stupid, theyd rather play a flawed offensive player than a flawed defensive one. Especially when in this case, the offense is obviously well well worth the shortcomings on the other side of the puck. NHL coaches not understanding value, nothing new.

No idea why a player who provides nothing offensively is viewed as playable by coaches, but not the other way around.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
At first I though why?

Then I realized low cost depth doesn't hurt.

Then i remembered almost every FA deal signed by the Canucks this off season are incredibly low AAV short term deals that can result in easy trades in the season to recoup picks/assets for the future.

The ONLY questions I have are now regarding Podkolzin and Hoglander as they both seem to be on the outside looking in after this free agency period.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Rick turned myers into a good defensive player, I think this is his forward project
You should check the YouTube video linked in post #28, if you haven't paid much attention to Sprong before.

For $975K it's good depth pick up nonetheless, so congrats to Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad