Salary Cap: Value of nylanders next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nylander?

On pace for 92 points.

Playing without Matthews didn't seem to cause him much concern, and didn't seem to have any issues with the Pred's defense.

Needs to work his face-offs though. Kerfoot then took center ice spot for a while and took 2 face-offs and lost them both. Event Summary

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
quite possibly all three of their raises can be covered by the delta of jt's new contract

True, if we assume that Tavares signs his next deal for 4-5M (I think even this is high and he'll likely sign for cheaper but then you never know), there is 6-7M available. Nylander likely gets the biggest chunk of that at around 3M so his salary is close to ~10M.

Marner and Matthews already make a lot so I can see them getting 1.5M raises on their current deal. So the net is close to 0 if not 0.

I hope the Leafs do well in the playoffs this year for Dubas. He's improved the team every single year and even with his job on the line he hasn't gone out and done anything crazy just to try and win a round and save his job. He knows this team is capable of doing it, they just have to go and do it.

It's crazy to me that he's unsigned. He's a top 3 GM in this league and would be hired the day after he's fired. It would similar to AA leaving the Jays.

Reactions: saffronleaf

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
quite possibly all three of their raises can be covered by the delta of jt's new contract
That still leaves them with all the cap spent on 4 forwards except the 4th isn't a ppg guy any more. That would be the most extreme 3 player spend in the league and they still fill out a roster from the bargain basement. They really need to do some damage this year to justify that.

When Muzz and Brodie are off the books they will be looking at Lilly and Sandin's next deals so probably no relief there if these kids are doing their jobs, and if they aren't quite, then the team needs a new Muzz/Brodie at whatever that person costs in 2 years. Of course Timmins and a couple of prospects stepping up would really help but I don't see that group taking a big enough leap forward by this summer to prove to Kyle he can take some risks.

I am not suggesting any course of action because that is really tied to the young D continuing to roll, the club having a playoff, and just how much money Willies will need. Lots of moving parts.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
My guesses are

13.4 for Matthews
9.6 for nylander
12.6 for marner

Willy has had a great half of the season but the others are about 100 pts ahead. Matty has multiple trophies. Marner is back to back 1st team all star and 97 pt player

He hasn’t earned what they did
Of course if he ends up demanding more then he gets traded hopefully

All of this is fine as long as they don’t lose players for nothing
I want 8 years on all of those if that's the number

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I was not a fan of Nylander at the beginning and I would have traded him with his holdout if he didnt sign a bridge deal.

I like him as a player alot more now. His game translates into the post season (great skater, great zone entry, elite shot) so I want to keep him. Not sure we can afford him.

Mar 26, 2010
doubt Willy signs for anything less than $10M a season.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Ive just got a bad feeling he will cool down this half of the season. And maby step up in the playoffs. I hope he keeps it up. i dont feel confident on any of our top players bringing it full season. Matthews has been ok but not ut to standard. Marner was so so in the start but i think he will be his best common playoffs. It is in the playoffs im not as confident in him or Matthews. And Nylander even less, i get happely surprised every playoff he perfomes. I hope they all find there mojo at the right time.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Matthews … 11-12 x 7-8
Marner ……… 10-11 x 7-8
Nylander …… 9-10 x7-8
Tavares………. 5-6 x 2-3

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Most other things you said are accurate, but it should be noted that Marner did get offer-sheeted. He got multiple actually. He just didn't sign them, because he wanted to be a Leaf. But if negotiations started stretching in-season, and the Leafs weren't willing to pay him what he'd earned, he probably starts considering those other options.
It would be interesting to know what teams made these offer sheets

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It would be interesting to know what teams made these offer sheets
Discussed not made. No offer would be made unless the team knows the player would sign, it's just a waste of time.
They would likely explore a trade first as well instead of losing the picks.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He has to prove he can show up for every game and every meaningful shift in the playoffs before any decision can be made on Nylander.

If he does, 8.5-9.5 is reasonable.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He has to prove he can show up for every game and every meaningful shift in the playoffs before any decision can be made on Nylander.

If he does, 8.5-9.5 is reasonable.
I think he will have a great playoff and look for > 10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad