Salary Cap: Value of nylanders next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think he will have a great playoff and look for > 10
If they win a round I suspect he won’t be forced into those game saving situations where he must bear down and do something outside his comfort zone.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If they win a round I suspect he won’t be forced into those game saving situations where he must bear down and do something outside his comfort zone.
Yeah the pulling the chute won't be acceptable to hockey fans but if he's productive I don't think it will hurt his asking price.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
That seems pretty arbitrary. Not sure how you came to that conclusion.
He's scored at roughly 80% of Pastrnak's scoring rate over the last 3 seasons. If you want to reduce that to 2 seasons to include Nylander's 2 best seasons it's 84% but 69% of the goal rate.

This completely ignores the fact that Pastrnak is better defensively though.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
If the number starts with an 8, then I'm probably OK with it. And there should be no way it starts with a 10.

Somewhere in the middle is the point where Toronto would be better off walking away. He's a great player. But not integral to the team's success (or failure). It's not insulting to say the 2nd best winger on a team that has great forwards is replaceable.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He's scored at roughly 80% of Pastrnak's scoring rate over the last 3 seasons. If you want to reduce that to 2 seasons to include Nylander's 2 best seasons it's 84% but 69% of the goal rate.

This completely ignores the fact that Pastrnak is better defensively though.

Pasta is the Bruins best player and is on pace for 66 goals and 118 points. Willie is our 3rd best player and is on pace for 87 points. Unless Bruins get a discount, I'm not paying 80% to 88, given the Leafs will front load and promise not to trade him.

Reactions: Americanadian

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Pasta is the Bruins best player and is on pace for 66 goals and 118 points. Willie is our 3rd best player and is on pace for 87 points. Unless Bruins get a discount, I'm not paying 80% to 88, given the Leafs will front load and promise not to trade him.
Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: ToneDog

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It is very under discussed that Nylander's career year production is currently identical to Hyman and Nylander is the one stapled to the reigning MVP.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If the number starts with an 8, then I'm probably OK with it. And there should be no way it starts with a 10.

Somewhere in the middle is the point where Toronto would be better off walking away. He's a great player. But not integral to the team's success (or failure). It's not insulting to say the 2nd best winger on a team that has great forwards is replaceable.
I'm saying a good playoff after a good regular season and he will be looking for that, he may not get it(obviously)

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm saying a good playoff after a good regular season and he will be looking for that, he may not get it(obviously)
Is there a precedent for any winger with 2 PPG seasons getting 10M+ or 12% of the cap? Especially given they are the 3rd highest scorer on their team?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It is very under discussed that Nylander's career year production is currently identical to Hyman and Nylander is the one stapled to the reigning MVP.

Tage and Robertson signed in the 7s and are top 6 in scoring. Tkachuk coming off a 104 point season is 8th and ahead of the greatest two Leafs and signed for 9.5m but let's give Willie $100 million dollars and front load the contract. And you wonder why we can't win.

But I was told playoff performances don't matter.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If 88 pulls the same shit he pulled the last negotiations, it better be the end of him as a Leaf.

Reactions: Racer88 and banks

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Here's one out of a bunch that should have been super easy for you to find: Ferris: Marner received two offer sheets - TSN.ca
the Maple Leafs winger was presented with two different offer sheets during the off-season before reaching a six-year, $65.36 million contract with Toronto on Friday.

"There were two presented to him in the summer, two opportunities which he declined and he told me 'Darren, I don't want to sign them, I want to be a Leaf,'" Ferris told First Up on TSN Radio 1050 Toronto on Monday. "So, we declined both of those opportunities and I know Kyle (Dubas) was aware of one them, the team had actually told him that they had made the overture to Mitch and there was a very strong likelihood there were more that would be presented once the season started as you know, the cap number gets set and makes it more difficult for a team to match.
Marner confirmed on Monday that he did receive offer sheets, but never seriously considered signing one.
"Early in the summer, Marner said.
It's one thing if it's just Ferris saying stuff during a negotiation, but Marner literally confirmed it, and they discuss how the team doing it talked about it with Dubas.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What a misleading representation of these player's situations, considering that Nylander has only spent part of the year with Matthews, who has been injured, and Hyman (also in his career year) is the one stapled to both the best player in the world as well as another top-tier offensive player, and gets to play 5th wheel on a generational PP.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
If 88 pulls the same shit he pulled the last negotiations, it better be the end of him as a Leaf.
If he pulled that shit as an RFA with zero leverage, what do you think he's gonna do now that he's proven himself?
He and his family know the business, they're basically mercenaries lol.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is there a precedent for any winger with 2 PPG seasons getting 10M+ or 12% of the cap? Especially given they are the 3rd highest scorer on their team?
Yup, right under his nose on his own team, and never mind asking for it as expensive UFA years, this teammate got it for most RFA cost controllable years.

Leafs internal pay scale is like no other teams, so precedent has been set.

• Haha
Reactions: Americanadian

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
What a misleading representation of these player's situations, considering that Nylander has only spent part of the year with Matthews, who has been injured, and Hyman (also in his career year) is the one stapled to both the best player in the world as well as another top-tier offensive player, and gets to play 5th wheel on a generational PP.
I'm not saying they are equal players. I am just saying that Nylander's production this year isn't that big.

I like how you mentioned Matthews 2 game injury as a factor. Nylander has played 537 minutes with Matthews this year all strengths. Hyman has played 605 minutes with McDavid. It's not that big of a discrepancy.

It is wild that Edmonton has a generational power play yet the Leafs with "the best top 4 forwards in the league" pay 5M more for their 5 forward unit, or 12M more when they use Rielly over Bunting.

Hyman has 1 more power play point than Nylander this season.

Nylander is a better player than Hyman though.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Here's one out of a bunch that should have been super easy for you to find: Ferris: Marner received two offer sheets - TSN.ca

It's one thing if it's just Ferris saying stuff during a negotiation, but Marner literally confirmed it, and they discuss how the team doing it talked about it with Dubas.
so after he bent over Dubas his agent came out and said he had two , nice how he didn't mention for how much or how long but i guesss he needed to throw something out there for Marner getting much more than any comparable

my favorite unconfirmed rumor came from Seravalli

Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli

Never know what to make of certain things you hear, but the rumored offer involving #CBJ and Gaudreau today was an absolute whopper: 7 years x $12 million. Interestingly, same total ($84m) as what I reported was on the table in Calgary. Would be quite a twist...

and then later that same day Gaudreau signed with the Jackets for over 2m less , lol , i guess Frankie figured there's no way Johnny would sign with the Jackets so it was safe to make up some crazy shit , it works since as soon as the tweet came out there was a thread about it with the sheeple buying every word and pissing on BJ's org

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I like how you mentioned Matthews 2 game injury as a factor.
He's been injured for longer than just the 2 games he missed.
Nylander has played 537 minutes with Matthews this year all strengths. Hyman has played 605 minutes with McDavid. It's not that big of a discrepancy.
Spending your time next to players pacing for 151 and 130 points is pretty different than spending your time next to players pacing for 93 and 58 points, and it's pretty dishonest to try and represent it as similar situations - or worse, somehow trying to imply that Nylander's situation is more advantageous.
It is wild that Edmonton has a generational power play
Not really that surprising, considering that on top of everything else, they have the best PP player in the league by far - the best the league has seen since Lemieux.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He's been injured for longer than just the 2 games he missed.

Spending your time next to players pacing for 151 and 130 points is pretty different than spending your time next to players pacing for 93 and 58 points, and it's pretty dishonest to try and represent it as similar situations - or worse, somehow trying to imply that Nylander's situation is more advantageous.
Not sure if you got a chance to read the part of my message that I bolded.
Nylander is a better player than Hyman though.
Not really that surprising, considering that on top of everything else, they have the best PP player in the league by far - the best the league has seen since Lemieux.
Why can't the Leafs do that considering they have the best 4 forwards in the league and are paying those 4 forwards more than Edmonton's 5 man PP combined?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad