Raptors Discussion: V62 0 Round 2 (Post Season Play Discussion)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Cory saying, "it's okay, it's okay; I got this. I. GOT. THIS."

He didn't have it.

Not that I blame him, as he had a pretty decent game. But he had a pretty wide-open shot to win it. Alas...
This is what happens when you don't have a true superstar to close out games. Even Wade can still do it for the heat at like 133 years old.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Regardless how this series turns out, let DD walk. Guys soft as butter. We got enough of a sample size in the playoffs to know he doesn't have the "it" factor. Paul Pierce was right.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He hit the rim, so that's a step up on DeMar.

Yeah, I don't totally blame him. He had a pretty good game, and this loss isn't on him by any stretch. Just sucks that he couldn't nail that last shot. Really sucks. He's not the super-star this team needs to close out games, but that's not his fault. He's doing his best. You always know you're going to get Cory's all.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's like the Raptors can't shoot these playoffs. They take more 3s than normal teams and since they're not making them, it only compounds their issues. Problem actually isn't shot selection either... the way they set up is awful. Instead of opening up defenses with ball movement for the entire 24 seconds they have, they wait until the last 12~ seconds.

DD also has to go. I wonder who could replace him though.
This isn't just a playoff thing with these guys. This team blew a lot of big leads this year trying to burn the clock on their possessions in the fourth quarter. They'd stand around for 18 seconds doing nothing and then not be able to get a good shot before the clock ran out. This team doesn't run a good half court offense. If they aren't playing a high tempo their offense goes away. I don't know if that's on Casey or the players themselves. I will say though that Derozan really looks like he has a pretty low basketball IQ. Pretty hard to coach a guy like that.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Let DeRozan walk. Please. Sign a wes Matthews type guy (I know he was a FA last year) who can shoo the three. Then center offence around JV and Kyle. That makes this team much better in playoffs.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
We've held Miami to under 95 points a game this series but our offense blows chunks.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
not once have i ever heard derozan say i played like ***** and i let the team down. always the hohum attitude. ye derozan, we lost cuz of "turnovers"

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. Benjamin Franklin

Raptors should heed to these wise words.:)

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I keep persisting yet the optimistic crowd never joins me when it's painfully obvious.

1. We don't have a league superstar. We have two all stars who aren't in that upper echelon that can take over a playoff game. Flawed team at it's core that will never compete for a title.

2. Derozan is extremely overrated. Relies too much on getting to the line, chucks too many shots while being inefficient. Not in any way deserving of a max contract.

3. Casey is a garbage coach. All he does is tell his players to ISO late in the game and even in OT, when it's painfully obvious that you need ball movement to open up shots, instead of forcing contested shots.

This team won't do anything in the East so long as Lebron is around. Just blow it up.

Top 5 C that rises to the occasion however. I'd rather ride it out than rebuild and hope for a superstar while wasting JV's prime.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Regardless how this series turns out, let DD walk. Guys soft as butter. We got enough of a sample size in the playoffs to know he doesn't have the "it" factor. Paul Pierce was right.

Absolutely - I don't care even if his average is over 30 points / game in regular season. He is not worth a max. contract

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Top 5 C that rises to the occasion however. I'd rather ride it out than rebuild and hope for a superstar while wasting JV's prime.

I understand what you're saying but if you look at league history past 20 plus years who are the dominant centers that have won Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan/Robinson? Nothing against JV but he's not in the class and those 3 centers that have won titles had terrific supporting casts which Toronto lacks. They don't need to blow it up but they seem to be in some type of purgatory lacking stars on their team but having a real good C. Maybe JV is destined to be a Rik Smits being on good teams not an elite C and can't get over that hump.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Lowry at least still competes out there when his shot isn't falling. Derozan just gives up on playing defense/battling for rebounds. This game illustrates the differences between the players perfectly. Neither player shot well but Lowry still had 9 assists, 7 rebounds and 4 steals. Derozan with 3 rebounds and 0 assists.

I truly believe that if Derozan doesn't play at all, this team would do better.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Lowry at least still competes out there when his shot isn't falling. Derozan just gives up on playing defense/battling for rebounds. This game illustrates the differences between the players perfectly. Neither player shot well but Lowry still had 9 assists, 7 rebounds and 4 steals. Derozan with 3 rebounds and 0 assists.

I truly believe that if Derozan doesn't play at all, this team would do better.

I don't think there's any question the Raptors play cohesive as a 5 man unit without him.... Guys look for the best shot like you're supposed to, rather then trying to isolate and go 1on1 all day.

Derozan has no assists because he plays with his head down. He's not looking to make a play or ensure a score, he's trying to isolate and take his man off the bounce. He's not a very smart player, his handles are trash, and he's not a very good jump shooter outside of short range. We've known this for a while now but I guess he did well playing within his limitations until now? He's been this bad before, just not for 12 straight games now or whatever it is.

Casey being severely out coached too. Letting the opposing coach (whose team was losing at the time) dictate your line up? Embarrassing. Our half court offense is less sophisticated then that of a middle school. Embarrassing.

Went on a few runs grinding the ball inside and getting buckets in the paint, so resort back to jump shots when the games on the line - that makes perfect sense... Final play of regulation - he didn't have much drawn up other then get it to Ross. Problem is, almost everyone knew it would be Ross and he was covered... No backup plan, no forward cutting if Ross can't shake his man. CoJo did well to get a decent look. Not ideal but I don't hate it. Problem is lack of direction.... Last play of the game with a chance to take a commanding 3-1 lead and look what happens.

Also, Derozan is hurting the team. Casey needs to decide what's more important; the playoffs or Demar's feelings?

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Whatever the outcome of this series two things are blatantly clear moving forward:

1. Dwane Casey needs to be out as coach, he consistently makes boneheaded rotation decisions, and can't draw up a play in crunch time they both cost the Raptors games regularly.

2. Masai needs to orchestrate a sign and trade for DeRozan, I'm thinking to the Lakers get maybe a Clarkson or their draft pick in return, pipe dream I know but this team cannot take a step forward with him on this team dominating the ball acting like Swaggy P, or a **** version of Kobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad