USMNT - 2026 World Cup Cycle

John Price

actually played baseball
Sep 19, 2008

Also apparently there is no mandate to keep men and women's US coaches equally paid, in that case go after Jurgen and open up the bank

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Joachim Low seems like he would be a good option, not sure if he would have any interest but I would be calling him

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nancy seems like a guy easily on the path to a top 5 league job. Not sure why he'd want to disrupt that with an international interlude.
So to be devils advocate here (rightfully or wrongfully) MLS managers (some with arguably higher profile than Nancy) don’t exactly have a track record of making going from MLS to top five leagues. I think a stint with USMNT would likely be Nancy’s best route to a decent job like that

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
So to be devils advocate here (rightfully or wrongfully) MLS managers (some with arguably higher profile than Nancy) don’t exactly have a track record of making going from MLS to top five leagues. I think a stint with USMNT would likely be Nancy’s best route to a decent job like that
I think it only helps him if he exceeds WC expectations by quite a bit. Winning most CONCACAF tournaments and getting into WC knockout stage is pretty much the expected norm for US managers. While I think it has some benefits, especially with a home WC, I just don't see the US team as an attractive career booster for those with club ambitions--high floor and low ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Southgate will probably be available now 😗 I heard they are negotiating with Renard which will be interesting, plenty of international experience and despite success at AFCON his World Cup record is not the best

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think it only helps him if he exceeds WC expectations by quite a bit. Winning most CONCACAF tournaments and getting into WC knockout stage is pretty much the expected norm for US managers. While I think it has some benefits, especially with a home WC, I just don't see the US team as an attractive career booster for those with club ambitions--high floor and low ceiling.
Right but where is the pipeline of MLS only coaches getting European jobs

John Price

actually played baseball
Sep 19, 2008
no way he ends up here but if he did I would be impressed. that Spanish side was pretty young and he got them to do grand things

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nancy feels like the best coaching option to make the transition to Europe in some time.

My guess is he gets that oppurtunity in the next 2 years.
I don’t think there is a ton of evidence that European teams are going to prioritize MLS coaches with not other history. Obviously someone is going to be first at some point, and it probably should be Nancy, but I don’t think the majority of European teams are going to care about what is happening in Ohio.

Didn’t Jesse Marsch do that?
Marsch moved from Red Bull to Red Bull (to Red Bull) so he was a known quantity within his multi club model; and stayed within the same multi club model. Nancy does not have this luxury. And again Marsch is the outlier here.

Reactions: DaveG

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
CONCACAF U-20 tournament started. US beat Jamaica 9-0 for the most part playing backups, not to mention most of the best u20 US players were not released for the tournament. Seems like it is going to be similar to the last one where the US is just clearly better than all CONCACAF teams at youth level bar a couple.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad