Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What's the deal with a sign and trade, would a team be allowed to do that?

IE: Ottawa signs Tyson Barrie 1 year x 1 mill, trades him to us @500k retained for a 5th round pick or something.

I don't see why that wouldn't be allowed.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
What's the deal with a sign and trade, would a team be allowed to do that?

IE: Ottawa signs Tyson Barrie 1 year x 1 mill, trades him to us @500k retained for a 5th round pick or something.

I don't see why that wouldn't be allowed.
Nothing wrong at all
Except, the Ottawa GM would get fired for spending 1/2 a million for a fifth round pick

Absolutely no one is lining up to be our charity

Reactions: Mr Positive

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll throw this out there, could be a deal now, could be a deal at the deadline, could be when Kane comes off LTIR ...

Evander Kane
EDM 1st 2025
prospect (?)

for

Adam Larsson @1 mill retained
lower range prospect

Now sure I'm assuming Larsson has changed his mind, when he left we were losing in round 1, now we were a hair away from a Cup and he's gotten some perspective.

Kane is from Vancouver area, so Seattle is near by and even better has lower taxes and is a US city, which I'm sure his US born wife from LA will be happy about.

We were going to pay a 1st for Chris Tanev at last year's deadline, so how different is it paying for Larsson and getting some open cap in the process.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ok sure
Maybe they throw in Brady too?

Why the hell would anyone apply 1/2 a million to their cap for no reason at all except to help another team?

It doesn't really matter much if you're one of the several teams that isn't close to the cap roof to begin with.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
It doesn't really matter much if you're one of the several teams that isn't close to the cap roof to begin with.
Of course it does
That’s what weaponizing the cap means
If it’s for a second and a prospect they might listen
It’s truly delusional to think teams are going to help us out just because they have nothing better to do

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Of course it does
It’s truly delusional to think teams are going to help us out just because they have nothing better to do

Getting a free pick for a half the salary of an AHL player is not actually not bad.

You could hit on one of those picks, the Oilers brain dead drafting department can't but that doesn't mean other teams don't.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Of course it does
A 2nd round pick and a prospect to get a team to take 500k?? I feel like a few teams would take a 4th round pick to do that.

Reactions: capazzo

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I dunno. If bowman added a half million to our cap for a rare chance at an NHL player while helping a competitor, I’d be pretty pissed

I mean you're looking at teams in different situations, if the Oilers were in a rebuild/retool and were like 10 million under the cap, they'd be absolutely stupid to not spend to acquire picks if they could.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I mean you're looking at teams in different situations, if the Oilers were in a rebuild/retool and were like 10 million under the cap, they'd be absolutely stupid to not spend to acquire picks if they could.
Sure
A second, not a pick that has a 1 in 20 chance to make the league.
Teams will be happy to help us, but, they’re going to make us pay

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure
A second, not a pick that has a 1 in 20 chance to make the league.
Teams will be happy to help us, but, they’re going to make us pay

A 2nd or even a 3rd for only 500k is highway robbery, even for 1-1.5 mill, that's what ... a 12th forward? That's nothing.

You do that every day of the week and twice on Sundays if you have open cap and aren't going to use all your retention slots for the year anyway. That 500k or 1 mill isn't buying you shit on the open market it's like saying you have a $5 bill to buy food with at the movie theater, big whoop.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
His organization is getting bullied and he's just sitting idle with fans insisting he's doing something behind the scenes. Time for him to take credible action.

So you think he is just sitting in his easy chair sipping on a Corona and scrolling X for funny cat videos?

They have 7 days and multiple complex scenarios to pore over in detail with plenty of Devils Advocate looks and cap situations to analyze and break down.

But yeah, I am certain he is just wasting time and pulling on his wank for shits and giggles.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
So you think he is just sitting in his easy chair sipping on a Corona and scrolling X for funny cat videos?

They have 7 days and multiple complex scenarios to pore over in detail with plenty of Devils Advocate looks and cap situations to analyze and break down.

But yeah, I am certain he is just wasting time and pulling on his wank for shits and giggles.
You still don't get it.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
A 2nd or even a 3rd for only 500k is highway robbery, even for 1-1.5 mill, that's what ... a 12th forward? That's nothing.

You do that every day of the week and twice on Sundays if you have open cap and aren't going to use all your retention slots for the year anyway. That 500k or 1 mill isn't buying you shit on the open market it's like saying you have a $5 bill to buy food with at the movie theater, big whoop.
A 12th forward has made the NHL
A fourth round pick has a5% chance
Like I said, nobody is going to do us any favours

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

What he’s saying is it’s time for Bowman to make a decision so that either way pavs can freak out and criticize it.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
A 12th forward has made the NHL
A fourth round pick has a5% chance
Like I said, nobody is going to do us any favours
So why does any team ever take late picks for salary retention in third party deals? They’re doing those teams a favour for a late pick. So why is this situation different?

I’ll even argue that at the deadline it’s even more valuable to a team getting the retention in order to be able to upgrade their roster for playoffs. So why do those teams retain for a late pick to facilitate trades but in this situation it would require a 2nd or more?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Late round drafting can yield big results. Even the Oilers had some fortune in the past with later round picks once upon a time in the late 90s or so

Mike Comrie - Late 3rd round pick
Shawn Horcoff - 4th round pick
Fernando Pisani - 8th round pick (!)

Without those last two picks in particular the Oilers aren't in the 2006 Cup Final.

The Flames have lots of random luck with late round picks too, Gaudreau (4th round), TJ Brodie (4th round), Mangipane (6th round), Theo Fleury (8th round), Ferland (5th round pick), Brett Kulak (4th round pick), Adam Fox (3rd round) and Giorando wasn't even drafted, lol.

If you can hit on one of those picks (round 3-7) it can dramatically alter your franchise.

Reactions: McDoused and Duke74

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Late round drafting can yield big results. Even the Oilers had some fortune in the past with later round picks once upon a time in the late 90s or so

Mike Comrie - Late 3rd round pick
Shawn Horcoff - 4th round pick
Fernando Pisani - 8th round pick (!)

Without those last two picks in particular the Oilers aren't in the 2006 Cup Final.

The Flames have lots of random luck with late round picks too, Gaudreau (4th round), TJ Brodie (4th round), Mangipane (6th round), Theo Fleury (8th round), Ferland (5th round pick), Brett Kulak (4th round pick), Adam Fox (3rd round) and Giorando wasn't even drafted, lol.

If you can hit on one of those picks (round 3-7) it can dramatically alter your franchise.

I still feel, losing Broberg for a 2nd will ultimately proof to be poor asset management. But considering his desire to be elsewhere with a better opportunity based on recent reports, you just got make do with what you have.

The current brain trust have already done better with their draft selections, targeting the OHL (probably the best out of all the other minor league options) starting with 2nd round selection in Beau Akey followed up with Sam O'Rielly this year. Give them more kicks at the can and current trend suggest they'll be coming up aces.

Keep making picks like this and maybe you'll hit on the next Wyatt Johnson:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Of course it does
You don't get a 2nd for $500K of cap space. A 4th or 5th for $500K in cap space is perfectly reasonable. The real issue with the deal @Soundwave proposed from Ottawa's perspective is that it would use up Ottawa's third retention slot so they would need to look at a different team.

It is also possible the NHL would disallow the trade. It does not explicitly violate any clause I know of but it feels like circumvention and the NHL can call it that should they choose to do so.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To be fair 2 of our firsts under Holland were turned into Ekholm.
That does not matter. Yes, it was worth it, but either way the result is the same. Our team is on a trajectory to crash and burn because we do not have a good crop of young players to replace the aging ones, Ekholm included. Jackson said when he took over that he wanted to put more emphasis on rebuilding the youth on this team but hes on the verge of seeing us take a huge step back in that regard

Reactions: DarksideGhost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad