Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
That does not matter. Yes, it was worth it, but either way the result is the same. Our team is on a trajectory to crash and burn because we do not have a good crop of young players to replace the aging ones, Ekholm included. Jackson said when he took over that he wanted to put more emphasis on rebuilding the youth on this team but hes on the verge of seeing us take a huge step back in that regard
I am starting to think that both are matched.

Too much time invested in Broby to let him walk for a second. One of Kulak, Nurse, or Ekholm gets injured and the Oilers are in trouble.

Reactions: Mr Positive

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
You’d add a half a million to the cap and use a retention spot to help a competitor out of a jam for a pick that has a 1 in 20 chance of playing a game in the nhl?
You’re really leaning into being purposely obtuse to run with a dumb narrative.

To a non playoff team, their cap space and retention slots don’t do much for them, they are expiring, non value assets to them that they can’t carry forward into future years. A draft pick, even later picks are value that can be carried forward, do have a chance of yielding value but more important are currency that can be used in other moves.

Teams literally do it every year, taking late picks to retain in order to “do favours” for teams. So why do you think this situation is different?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Has Bowman said anything about this offer sheet? I remember a lot of GMs being very vocal about being offer sheeted.

Guy is just sitting there not saying anything. Time to step up like the other GMs did.
I’d hope (and beleive ) he’s working out the options and best plan of recourse.

Having a press conference at this point takes him away from the work at hand, which is also under a deadline.

And to tell us what,” that they are working on it”???

It would be a real time waster and unnecessary at this point. “Stepping up” as you say, at this point is charting and executing an action plan from this development which I have no doubt the org is currently engaged in.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
I’d hope (and beleive ) he’s working out the options and best plan of recourse.

Having a press conference at this point takes him away from the work at hand, which is also under a deadline.

And to tell us what,” that they are working on it”???

It would be a real time waster and unnecessary at this point. “Stepping up” as you say, at this point is charting and executing an action plan from this development which I have no doubt the org is currently engaged in.
I agree with this. Absolutely nothing good comes from SB saying anything at all. If he hints at his plan, the StL would likely try to find a way to interrupt that plan. they made the trade with Pitt to enable this to happen, they would of course try to step in and make a deal with that team to block Edmonton's attempt at it.

No good Gm calls their shot before making it. Not sure why the other poster thinks it is a good idea at all.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World

To a non playoff team, their cap space and retention slots don’t do much for them, they are expiring, non value assets to them that they can’t carry forward into future years. A draft pick, even later picks are value that can be carried forward, do have a chance of yielding value but more important are currency that can be used in other moves.

Teams literally do it every year, taking late picks to retain in order to “do favours” for teams. So why do you think this situation is different?
Nice
It’s just an opinion. “purposely obtuse”
Oh well, cap space and retention slots are pretty much all a non playoff team has that doesn’t cost them bodies and the league is learning how to weaponize it.
That’s all I’m saying
No need to be condescending…….. unless of course a keyboard is all you have. In which case I pity you even more

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I think teams would have taken him for free or cheap earlier. Unfortunately we are over a barrel now so the cost to unload him will be ridiculous.
Not just over a barrel. Before free agency is one thing, but now teams have built their rosters. 5 teams are over the salary cap and 16 teams do not have the space to fit Ceci or Kulak. That limits you to half the league right there (LTIR could open up a few spaces). Of whats left, 5 would have strong playoff aspirations (i.e. going past the first round, with 4 likely not having space due to RFA, the one left (Winnipeg) already good on the right hand side.

That leaves you those hoping to make the playoffs, or those in rebuild mode. Those are just not ideal trading partners.

Ceci has more value at the trade deadline especially with injuries to the better teams, but at the moment the market is muted.

Reactions: McDoused

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

That’s usually at the trade deadline when the money cost is like 80% less. At the start of the year almost every team wants to believe that they’ll be competitive and have a shot at making the playoffs.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The worst part in all of this is Armstrong is coming across as a hero giving Bowman a dose of hard medicine.

Hes the guy who stood up to the gm no one wanted to see back.

What is Bowman doing while the league is laughing? He's doing what he usually does and saying nothing when his organization has been bullied.

Sheldon Kennedy can't bail him out this time.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Nice
It’s just an opinion. “purposely obtuse”
Oh well, cap space and retention slots are pretty much all a non playoff team has that doesn’t cost them bodies and the league is learning how to weaponize it.
That’s all I’m saying
No need to be condescending…….. unless of course a keyboard is all you have. In which case I pity you even more
It’s not a matter of opinion, you’re purposely disregarding the fact that teams retain salary in exchange for late picks all the time in order to help out other teams, just so you can run with this theory that teams will forego doing something thats good for themselves just to avoid helping the Oilers. Any team retaining for the them isn’t doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, they are being compensated for it and a 4th for 500k retention is pretty standard fare. A 2nd would be ludicrous for that minimal of retention, nobody is asking for it because nobody is paying that.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The worst part in all of this is Armstrong is coming across as a hero giving Bowman a dose of hard medicine.

What is Bowman doing while the league is laughing? He's doing what he usually does and saying nothing when his organization has been bullied.

Wow. You are really trying to knit together two completely disconnected matters.

Remind me again how Glenn Anderson being traded to Toronto in 1991 is related to Stan Bowman? I forget.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

You should build a statue of Armstrong on your apartments patio.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
That’s not a great argument because, if they match, the depth gets absolutely gutted and they’re far worse off if an injury happens.
Maybe. If they let Broberg go, just watch Ekholm miss half the season with injury.

The Oilers could play Nirse with Bouchard again. Maybe Kulak or Gleason.

Oilers have been very lucky to not have more injury the past two seasons. Kane excepted.

Who knows though. Broberg could be a third pairing d man for the next 5 seasons.

I don’t get paid to fix the problems, but I reserve the right to complain if things go poorly.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You're really embarrassing yourself one post at a time.

You'd also be in here complaining if Bowman said what he was doing.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Maybe. If they let Broberg go, just watch Ekholm miss half the season with injury.

The Oilers could play Nirse with Bouchard again. Maybe Kulak or Gleason.

Oilers have been very lucky to not have more injury the past two seasons. Kane excepted.

Who knows though. Broberg could be a third pairing d man for the next 5 seasons.

I don’t get paid to fix the problems, but I reserve the right to complain if things go poorly.
You aren’t thinking cap since if we keep Broberg and Holloway when Kane is back we are screwed if we don’t have any other Ltir injuries in season. To fit we need to move Ceci and play stecher at 3RD. Also bury 3 bodies and play undermanned.

When Kane is back we need to move 5.25M or so of salary so basically kulak and like a Henrique or skinner. Kane is rumoured to be committed to Edmonton and not want to waive. Who is our D then? Broberg then like stecher and kemp since they are cheap?

We gut our depth by keeping him, as opposed to thinking of how much we invested in him it is what gives us the best chance at winning the cup.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
It’s not a matter of opinion, you’re purposely disregarding the fact that teams retain salary in exchange for late picks all the time in order to help out other teams, just so you can run with this theory that teams will forego doing something thats good for themselves just to avoid helping the Oilers. Any team retaining for the them isn’t doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, they are being compensated for it and a 4th for 500k retention is pretty standard fare. A 2nd would be ludicrous for that minimal of retention, nobody is asking for it because nobody is paying that.
Ok
Well
The good part is I’ve now found someone who is so brilliant, they are able to tell me what my opinion is.
Either that or they really get triggered so easily that they have to jump into constructive conversations and start hurling insults
It’s glorious really

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

I can’t wait to see what CP account you are.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

You know that this was in the works before Bowman right?

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I'm letting both walk. Imo.

Holloway is over-rated, broberg is a big unknown so for that salary... Nah. Can't be spending cap unwisely right now.
This might be the best course of action. We can’t have bad contracts, no overpays. Nurse is bad enough and we can’t afford more.

It might be wisest to cut our losses, fill the gaps with cheaper depth (we’re talking about players that very likely would be 3rd pair and maybe 4th line).

Like if Holloway put up 30+ points and Broberg had a decent full season, maybe they’d be worth it.

Janmark - Rico - Brown should just be the 3rd line. Perry and Ryan on the 4th line are geezers, I’m not a fan even if we had Holloway on that line. It needed work and it still does, but get a guy for less than 2.2 mil.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This might be the best course of action. We can’t have bad contracts, no overpays. Nurse is bad enough and we can’t afford more.

It might be wisest to cut our losses, fill the gaps with cheaper depth (we’re talking about players that very likely would be 3rd pair and maybe 4th line).

Like if Holloway put up 30+ points and Broberg had a decent full season, maybe they’d be worth it.

Janmark - Rico - Brown should just be the 3rd line. Perry and Ryan on the 4th line are geezers, I’m not a fan even if we had Holloway on that line. It needed work and it still does, but get a guy for less than 2.2 mil.
Then we're back to discussion of what contracts are. Are they a reward for past production? Or are they a commitment to what the team feels that their player can bring to the table for the duration?

I think you're really hindering the Oilers depth if two thirds of your third line totaled 8 goals combined over a full 82 game season. You're really hindering their future depth of you're not willing to commit time and money to the players that you have earmarked for significant future roles. History shows you that those players are really difficult to find.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Aren’t their rules against libel on these boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad