Proposal: Offer sheet Nick Robertson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
had vancouver not signed debrusk.. robertson would be a good pickup option for them. robertson/petterson/hoglander/whoever

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
And therein lies why he wants a trade...

Nobody's saying that Robertson is better than Caufield; only that they are given VASTLY different types of opportunities.

Montreal has basically nothing in the form of top-end offensive talent. Cole Caufield gets a ton of leash, and a ton of opportunity as a result. When you are the #1 option on the powerplay or when the team needs a goal, 2nd on the team in TOI, that's a massive injection of confidence.

Robertson averaged 48 seconds of powerplay time a game last year, and almost exclusively on the Leafs 2nd unit that doesn't get used. There are 4 "skill" guys that are well above him on the depth chart, and a guy like Matthew Knies, Bobby McMann, or Tyler Bertuzzi is a much better "compliment" to the Leafs skill than he is.

Yes, Caufield has proven himself in the league and Robertson hasn't... but you have to ask yourself, if the situations were reversed a couple of years ago, would Caufield have had the opportunity to prove himself in Toronto like he has in Montreal?

Heck, go ahead and trade Caufield for Robertson 1 for 1 (ignoring salary cap, the fact that MTL obviously wouldn't do it)... is it really such a stretch to think that Caufield probably regresses to a mid-20 goal scorer with a reduced opportunity, and Robertson progresses to a 20+ goal scorer with more opportunity on a team desparate for skill?

Unless you're clearing out a Marner or Nylander in the process, there just isn't a ton of space for a Caufield-like player on the Leafs... and that's basically what Robertson hopes to be...
Robertson had his chances and never produced playing with better players. That’s on Nick. If Cole had the opportunity to play with Mattews, he might have scored 50 already.

Nick Robertson is a Kailer Yamamoto clone. Except a bit worse.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I’d love to see more offer sheets

If the guy wants out he may find a taker at 1 yr 2 million and Leafs can’t match?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Robertson had his chances and never produced playing with better players. That’s on Nick. If Cole had the opportunity to play with Mattews, he might have scored 50 already.

Nick Robertson is a Kailer Yamamoto clone. Except a bit worse.
There is a concept in hockey, perhaps moreso than any other sport, that the combination of 2 or 3 players, is often lesser or greater than the sum of their parts; depending on how those parts fit together.

Auston Matthews is the league's best goalscorer. He often plays with Mitch Marner who's one of the league's best passers. Zach Hyman was a great linemate. Matthew Knies is a solid linemate. Bobby McMann would likely be a good linemate..... Cole Caufield would not be, simply because those 3 guys all succeed in similar areas of the ice.

You want to call Robertson closer to Kailer Yamamoto? sure -- it's not an unfair comparison (although Yamoamoto never came close to going off for 55 goals in 46 games in Jr. The reality is, when you've got guys that are small like these 3 are, their career trajectories are going to be largely influenced by whether or not the team carves out perfect roles for them.

As another poster mentioned, Montreal's skill level cratered when Caufield came out of college. He was instantly given a spot to be "the next big thing".

Robertson has always been trying to crack a team that had 3 premier young skilled forwards and John Tavares.... a team constantly looking for "the glue guys" and the "grizzled veterans" to help get them over the hump. Developing a potential offensive dynamo -- well, well down on the priority list.

Reactions: Jacob582

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There is a concept in hockey, perhaps moreso than any other sport, that the combination of 2 or 3 players, is often lesser or greater than the sum of their parts; depending on how those parts fit together.

Auston Matthews is the league's best goalscorer. He often plays with Mitch Marner who's one of the league's best passers. Zach Hyman was a great linemate. Matthew Knies is a solid linemate. Bobby McMann would likely be a good linemate..... Cole Caufield would not be, simply because those 3 guys all succeed in similar areas of the ice.

You want to call Robertson closer to Kailer Yamamoto? sure -- it's not an unfair comparison (although Yamoamoto never came close to going off for 55 goals in 46 games in Jr. The reality is, when you've got guys that are small like these 3 are, their career trajectories are going to be largely influenced by whether or not the team carves out perfect roles for them.

As another poster mentioned, Montreal's skill level cratered when Caufield came out of college. He was instantly given a spot to be "the next big thing".

Robertson has always been trying to crack a team that had 3 premier young skilled forwards and John Tavares.... a team constantly looking for "the glue guys" and the "grizzled veterans" to help get them over the hump. Developing a potential offensive dynamo -- well, well down on the priority list.
Sometimes you have to accept that Nick Robertson is just not a top-6 quality forward. You already know he's not capable of a bottom 6 role. It is what it is. Nick has had plenty of opportunities and hasn't cashed in. That's on him. Comparing him to Cole Caufield is laughable. The comparison to make is to Kailer Yamamoto. And comparing his junior stats is irrelevant. At 23 years old, that is no longer relevant. KY has had a decent career to date. I am sure Nick may follow in his footsteps.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I’d love to see more offer sheets

If the guy wants out he may find a taker at 1 yr 2 million and Leafs can’t match?

Honestly... if somebody comes and gives Robertson the Dylan Holloway offer sheet -- even on a 1-year deal - that creates a real problem for Toronto and probably becomes something they can't match.

The bottom line is that if you assume Hakanpaa is not coming, the Leafs can make about $1.6 to $1.7m work for Robertson. Anything beyond that, and you're looking at trying to drop David Kampf or Calle Jarnkrok in late August.

While Jarnkrok should have positive value, and Kampf, basically negligible -- that's not the case at this time of year when most teams have spent their money. You look at the deal Pittsburgh and Nashville did with Cody Glass, and that's likely the template for a David Kampf deal; plus then the Leafs are woefully shallow in the middle of the ice.

For a team trying to get over the hump in the playoffs, keeping Robertson, at the cost of multiple draft picks and/or Calle Jarnkrok, doesn't make a ton of sense.

Reactions: Vitto79

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Robertson doesn't have a lot of value.

If he signs an offer sheet that's all well and good, no matter the price. Then at least the Leafs would have a choice to make -- to either match or take the pick. I presume it would be a third-rounder.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
At least ten teams don't own their own second- and/or third-round 2025 draft picks that would be needed to make a realistic offer sheet anyway. More emphasis on the thirds.

Of those that are left, I wouldn't imagine that too many are clamouring to sign an unproven lightweight winger who is struggling to crack an NHL lineup despite plenty of opportunity to do so.

As a die-hard Leafs' fan I'm interested, but not losing too much sleep over Nick Robertson's contract status. Stay or go? Meh, and meh.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
At least ten teams don't own their own second- and/or third-round 2025 draft picks that would be needed to make a realistic offer sheet anyway. More emphasis on the thirds.

Of those that are left, I wouldn't imagine that too many are clamouring to sign an unproven lightweight winger who is struggling to crack an NHL lineup despite plenty of opportunity to do so.

As a die-hard Leafs' fan I'm interested, but not losing too much sleep over Nick Robertson's contract status. Stay or go? Meh, and meh.
100% agee. I have the feeling Tre shares the same opinion. He couldn't be bothered either way.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
One spends his time in the ahl, one was on pace for 20 goals in the nhl last year
I think that one of them had 2 goals in 10 playoffs games, which is on pace for about 16-17 goals, as a D-man.

This thing called pace is a very funy thing.

On a serious note, as an Oilers fan I can tell you that if Roberson was an Oiler and he was signed to an offer sheet for 3mils+, no Oilers fan would want us to match.

Reactions: hurdemz

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Is Robertson ready to take off if he were to be given a 2nd line role?

Would Toronto match if a team were to sign him to a 1 or 2 year offer-sheet at $4.5M?
(Second round compensation)

I don't know what's crazier, that you want to give Nick Robertson a spot on your 2nd line, or that you want to pay him that much.

If the Sabres did that, I think the Leafs would be delighted to take a 2nd round pick.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
His value in a trade, is basically a third
Third compensation is about 1.5-2.9

Seems about right

Usually offer sheet rumours, start from a player’s agent, trying to help his client .

Last edited:

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
I think that one of them had 2 goals in 10 playoffs games, which is on pace for about 16-17 goals, as a D-man.

This thing called pace is a very funy thing.

On a serious note, as an Oilers fan I can tell you that if Roberson was an Oiler and he was signed to an offer sheet for 3mils+, no Oilers fan would want us to match.
Absolutely agree. Neither would i

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don't know what's crazier, that you want to give Nick Robertson a spot on your 2nd line, or that you want to pay him that much.

If the Sabres did that, I think the Leafs would be delighted to take a 2nd round pick.
I never mentioned the Sabres.

But now that you have....

We paid a guy who had 14 goals last year $5M. He along with another player who had 11 goals last year are the most frequently mentioned candidates for our 2nd line.

So Nick Robertson's 14 goals in 56 games doesn't seem outlandish to me.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Robertson likely ends up in Russia. Let him prove something over there and he may have some value.
Leaf fans should have learned their lesson after they hyped Bracco so much. No one was getting fooled that Bracco had any value and no should be fooled that Robertson has shown enough to have any real value.

Indeed what most Leaf fans truly want is any offer sheet not to be matched so they can get something of value for Robertson. If they thought Robertson had value they'd want the offer sheet to be matched which clearly they don't.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Robertson likely ends up in Russia. Let him prove something over there and he may have some value.
Leaf fans should have learned their lesson after they hyped Bracco so much. No one was getting fooled that Bracco had any value and no should be fooled that Robertson has shown enough to have any real value.

Indeed what most Leaf fans truly want is any offer sheet not to be matched so they can get something of value for Robertson. If they thought Robertson had value they'd want the offer sheet to be matched which clearly they don't.
lmao it is hilarious how pressed some people are about Bracco years later.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't know who is overhyping Nick Robertson except for Nick Robertson,and I don't think he's a Leafs' fan.
Leaf fans who still compare him to Cole Caufield are egregiously overhyping what little potential Nick has.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Shit player who doesnt want to pay his dues and have everything handed to him. Get rid of him. Little sookie baby.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Sometimes you have to accept that Nick Robertson is just not a top-6 quality forward. You already know he's not capable of a bottom 6 role. It is what it is. Nick has had plenty of opportunities and hasn't cashed in. That's on him. Comparing him to Cole Caufield is laughable. The comparison to make is to Kailer Yamamoto. And comparing his junior stats is irrelevant. At 23 years old, that is no longer relevant. KY has had a decent career to date. I am sure Nick may follow in his footsteps.
Plenty of opportunities? Guy played 11 minutes a game last year w very little pp time and was yo yod in and out of the lineup on whims . That’s optimal deployment in your world ?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Plenty of opportunities? Guy played 11 minutes a game last year w very little pp time and was yo yod in and out of the lineup on whims . That’s optimal deployment in your world ?
In the opportunities he had, he didn't deliver. Hence the 11 minutes or less per game because he doesn't deserve anymore than that.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I never mentioned the Sabres.

But now that you have....

We paid a guy who had 14 goals last year $5M. He along with another player who had 11 goals last year are the most frequently mentioned candidates for our 2nd line.

So Nick Robertson's 14 goals in 56 games doesn't seem outlandish to me.
It’s not . He was very productive on a per minute basis . I predict that this thread goes very quiet when he pots 25 this season ( in Toronto or somewhere else ) .

In the opportunities he had, he didn't deliver. Hence the 11 minutes or less per game because he doesn't deserve anymore than that.
Yah pacing for 21 goals while getting 11 minutes a game . At 22 ; What a bum

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It’s not . He was very productive on a per minute basis . I predict that this thread goes very quiet when he pots 25 this season ( in Toronto or somewhere else ) .

Yah pacing for 21 goals while getting 11 minutes a game . At 22 ; What a bum
big difference between pacing over a small sample and achieving. To date, he's barely secured a roster spot. He was in the AHL last season. Totally overrated by some Leaf fans.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad