Proposal: Offer sheet Nick Robertson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Anaheim is already overly deep with wingers, there wouldn't be a direct line to a top 9/PP opportunity or really even a roster spot, as much as I do believe in his upside as a scorer.

Yup, I meant the earlier post as rhetorical question to the other poster. He seemed to expect teams to offer sheet Robertson just because they cap space even if he doesn't fit their lineup.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
How many teams does that leave? Do teams like Montreal, Buffalo, Utah, Columbus, or Anaheim need another winger at this point or do they have their own prospects?

None of those teams needs a middle-6 talent smallish forward with injury problems.

Reactions: HabsAddict

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Your top nine... starting to look pretty interesting... assuming it can stay healthy and Zegras can get his act together.

This post of yours is probably the first time it's triggered a thought about the Ducks roster in a couple years. I'd be happy to see Anaheim become a viable NHL team again you don't just check mark the W when your team plays them.

Yeah it will all come down to what the kids can do obviously, but there should be enough there to spread scoring across three lines and create a bit more matchup discomfort.

The three guys listed on that first line, are all capable of producing 70+ points. Cutter showed some nice chemistry with Carlsson and Killorn in his lone NHL game, gives the two kids some quality insulation and that's the line you give the softest matchups. Vatrano coming off a 37 goal year, gives the third line some immediate punch but the other two are also quality proven vets. The 4th line shouldn't be complete cannon fodder like recent years either, should be able to surround Lundestrom with a couple big bodies who can play.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yup, I meant it more as a rhetorical question to the other poster. I was too lazy to list out the depth charts, but most teams are set and/or have their own young prospects that they're trying to break into the NHL.

I suppose I get why some posters like the chaos of offer sheets, but a lot has to line up to have one make sense for the team and the player. It took a long term Torey Krug injury to spring St. Louis into action. The other poster seemingly expected a team like Anaheim to go offer sheet Robertson since they have ample cap space even if the player doesn't fit into their lineup.
Like every team, we are not allergic to another top 6 forward but have no need of a small bottom 6.

Leafs can keep him or waive him. Maybe he's cheap insurance. But realistically, if he's still there, then there is no interest in him.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
or the Leafs want way too much of a return for him
Yeah...there's a huge line-up for a small, injury prone forward.

Interesting side bar...i was looking at the KHL and there are a lot of small players leading their respective teams scoring yet never drafted by the NHL. Being Captain Obvious...hockey is a violant sport and size matters.

You can have a few exceptions because of their enormous talent, but a bottom 6 small player with average talent has little to no value.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yeah...there's a huge line-up for a small, injury prone forward.

Interesting side bar...i was looking at the KHL and there are a lot of small players leading their respective teams scoring yet never drafted by the NHL. Being Captain Obvious...hockey is a violant sport and size matters.

You can have a few exceptions because of their enormous talent, but a bottom 6 small player with average talent has little to no value.
Escaping incompetent coaching might allow Robertson to reach his potential - scoring line forward.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yup, I meant it more as a rhetorical question to the other poster. I was too lazy to list out the depth charts, but most teams are set and/or have their own young prospects that they're trying to break into the NHL.

I suppose I get why some posters like the chaos of offer sheets, but a lot has to line up to have one make sense for the team and the player. It took a long term Torey Krug injury to spring St. Louis into action. The other poster seemingly expected a team like Anaheim to go offer sheet Robertson since they have ample cap space even if the player doesn't fit into their lineup.
I agree....teams like anaheim or Chicago that has cap space could targ err t Hong Kong players ending their ELCs with as team that has limited cap space.

That concerns mr eith my team, buffalo, where next summer and 2026 they dont have much maneuver room and kind of need to give the bridges till cap spacr opens up in a few years. They could easily match a max 2nd OS but it's a big higher for a 1st and 3rd could be problems

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There were rumours around the TDL that the Leafs were shopping him and all they got offered were a 2nd rounder. They passed on a 2nd rounder for him then not sure they pass on one now if he were to sign an offer sheet like that.
It's quite a bit different if it's a choice between paying $4.6 million for Nick Robinson or accepting second round pick in compensation.

Turning down a second pick without committing to a $4.6 million contract for this player is a whole different ball of wax.

I don't think the Leafs would match that number for him.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Maybe you were thinking the wrong Robertson. This is Nick, remember?
I mean, before the offersheet Broberg was much more valuable for sure..... but now Broberg makes $4.580917 million per season and I dont believe he is worth that much (perhaps in the future, he does still have a lot of potential to grow).

Guess it depends what Robertson is making next season to determine who is actually 'more valuable' but I dont see any world in which Robertson's cap starts with a 4, nor should it.

But I've been wrong before.

Reactions: Ciao

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
It's quite a bit different if it's a choice between paying $4.6 million for Nick Robinson or accepting second round pick in compensation.

Turning down a second pick without committing to a $4.6 million contract for this player is a whole different ball of wax.

A round about way of saying the same thing. The Leafs were not willing to move Robertson at the deadline for a 2nd but would not balk at at 2nd if he signed an offer sheet that returned a second. I still think the Leafs move Robertson at the end of training camp for a heavier bottom 6 forward.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I’d take a 2nd for him. Won’t be surprised if he’s scoring 20+ as early as this year. But I don’t want someone who doesn’t want to be here.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
There's limited teams who have the cap space, required picks, and motivation. Many of the teams who have cap space have it reserved for their own RFAs.

According to PuckPedia, these are the teams who have 2.25 mil in cap space:

Nashville (3.1 mil): Tomasino/Parssinen RFA, just traded Cody Glass to open up space
New Jersey (4.98 mil): Dawson Mercer RFA
Montreal (5.45 mil)
Winnipeg (5.78 mil): Cole Perfetti RFA
Dallas (6.24 mil): Thomas Harley RFA
Seattle (6.37 mil): Matt Beniers RFA
Carolina (6.44 mil): Seth Jarvis RFA
Chicago (6.68 mil):
Buffalo (8.45 mil):
Boston (8.64 mil): Jeremy Swayman RFA
Utah (9.92 mil):
Columbus (10.9 mil):
San Jose (13.6 mil):
Detroit (17.65 mil): Moritz Seider + Lucas Raymond RFA
Calgary (19.2 mil):
Anaheim (21.7 mil)

Until teams figure out their own RFAs, it seems unlikely that they'd go the offer sheet route.

Now mix in a handful of teams who have already dealt their 2025 3rd: New Jersey (Jake Allen), Chicago (traded for 2024 3rd), Calgary (Monahan cap dump), Carolina (Evgeni Kuznetsov), San Jose (included with Tomas Hertl).

How many teams does that leave? Do teams like Montreal, Buffalo, Utah, Columbus, or Anaheim need another winger at this point or do they have their own prospects?

Excellent point in that you need your own 3rd rounder to do an offer sheet.

1sts, 2nds, don't neccessarily move that often, especially from bad teams. 3rd rounders can get moved around like candy a little bit.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
He just isn’t that good?

It's also only a 3rd round pick.

Very few players have scored at the level he did in junior and he's already showed some of that scoring touch at the NHL level.

He may very well become nothing more than another middling small one-dimensional depth shooter. But there's no denying that there is upside there. More upside then you would probably get from that third round pick at the draft.

Reactions: Jacob582

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Maybe you were thinking the wrong Robertson. This is Nick, remember?
Obviously… you think Jason has similar value to Broberg ? I mean ok , that’s something 🤷‍♂️

I think his worth is around a 2 nd , and no the Leafs wouldn’t match that

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
1 year 2.25 million dollars for a 3rd rounder.

Do Leafs sign and say thank you. Do they need to bring someone lower on the roster. I'd do it and I think Leafs sign but if I'm in the division why not make them pay more.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Jacob582

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Potential doesn't mean shit anymore, hes almost 24 years old and hasnt done squat. I mean, the oilers left his contract on the back burner all summer. What else is there?
You may have missed this past draft but teams are prioritizing bigger players, both Forwards and D and RHD over LHD.

We can all agree or disagree with that as a good strategy, but that's the explanation.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
You dont even need to offer him 4M. Just offer him 2.5M and the leafs still wont be able to match

Robertson at 2.5 would be a steal for any team
I would relax on the word "steal". Potential is there to be a good player, but potential doesn't always equal becoming a NHL player.

There is a reason why Robertson couldn't be a mainstay in the lineup. Yes, he has a good shot, but you need be able to play on both ends of the ice and win battles along the boards. He hasn't improved his game enough in those areas to be a 82 game player on the Leafs.

On a lower end team 2.5m is probably worth the risk, but on a team that needs to make every dollar count, I wouldn't be spending it on Robertson.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't see any rebuilding team bothering with Robertson. They want to build up their teams and give their prospects an opprtunity to make it in the NHL. Nor is winning a priprity.

They wont bother giving 2.5 million to an undersized 1 dimension forward.

He's got more value to HF as a talking point then the fact that GMs wont even give up a 3rd for him.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I don’t think the Leafs have the space to match 2.28 million anyways. Unless that Hakanpaa deal falls through.

It’s looks like they have 875k in space with 12 forwards and 7D, so that is likely what they’re offering Nick. He can’t be happy with that.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Wasnt this kid being compared to Cole Caufield by some leaf fans? lol.....
To be honest He is not that FAR off. The big difference right now is Caufield is seeing 17.57 minutes a game more, plays on the top line and see PP1 time with a career S% of 11.7.He had a career low S% of 8.9. He scores about 19 goals 5v5 and the rest are scored via the PP. It's pretty interesting to see Caufield has not scored more than 20 goals 5v5 in any of his seasons.

Robertson seen the last season 11.23 minutes a game on the 3rd and 4th line, minimal PP2 time with only 2 PP goals, His S% this year was 14.6 but his career S% is 11.6. It is not much of a stretch to say that if Nic was give first line playing time and PP1 playing time all season long he would go from a player pacing at 20 goals to a player who scores at a similar rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad