Proposal: Offer sheet Nick Robertson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
To be honest He is not that FAR off. The big difference right now is Caufield is seeing 17.57 minutes a game more, plays on the top line and see PP1 time with a career S% of 11.7.He had a career low S% of 8.9. He scores about 19 goals 5v5 and the rest are scored via the PP. It's pretty interesting to see Caufield has not scored more than 20 goals 5v5 in any of his seasons.

Robertson seen the last season 11.23 minutes a game on the 3rd and 4th line, minimal PP2 time with only 2 PP goals, His S% this year was 14.6 but his career S% is 11.6. It is not much of a stretch to say that if Nic was give first line playing time and PP1 playing time all season long he would go from a player pacing at 20 goals to a player who scores at a similar rate.
Not that far off? LMAO!

Nick is much closer to waiver fodder than he is a top-line winger.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yet his numbers are very similar to Caufield. Maybe its more that Caufield is not a top-line winger on 30 other teams in the league.
Nick Robertson has never cracked 30 points to date. His numbers are crap given the expectations. By comparison, In a down year, Caufield had 65 points. Caufield had more goals than Nick had points last year! And that's with Caufield having a poor shooting percentage last year.

Robertson is much closer to waivers than he is to Caufield. The Leafs don't even want to sign him at the moment because he's not worth whatever he's asking for. They are probably hoping for an offersheet.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Nick Robertson has never cracked 30 points to date. His numbers are crap given the expectations. By comparison, In a down year, Caufield had 65 points. Caufield had more goals than Nick had points last year! And that's with Caufield having a poor shooting percentage last year.

Robertson is much closer to waivers than he is to Caufield. The Leafs don't even want to sign him at the moment because he's not worth whatever he's asking for. They are probably hoping for an offersheet.
Fans gets excited about young players. More news at 11.

Some spicy Cole Caufield hot takes from a while back hanging around too lmao you know what they say about glass houses. As for Robertson...I am pretty sure the Leafs want to keep him...otherwise they would have already traded him seeing as he requested a trade lol

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Fans gets excited about young players. More news at 11.

Some spicy Cole Caufield hot takes from a while back hanging around too lmao you know what they say about glass houses. As for Robertson...I am pretty sure the Leafs want to keep him...otherwise they would have already traded him seeing as he requested a trade lol
Takes two to tango. Not many teams are interested in a guy who can't make your top-6 and is not a good bottom 6 option. He's in no man's land. I doubt any GMs are inquiring unless its a team that is devoid of young talent / prospects. A team like the Leafs...

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Takes two to tango. Not many teams are interested in a guy who can't make your top-6 and is not a good bottom 6 option. He's in no man's land. I doubt any GMs are inquiring unless its a team that is devoid of young talent / prospects. A team like the Leafs...
Give me a break lol if they Leafs wanted to be done with him they would have found a team to take him months ago.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Give me a break lol if they Leafs wanted to be done with him they would have found a team to take him months ago.
He asked for a trade a while back....one would think the Leafs would have accommodated that. But they haven't. He's not a player that is desirable...

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He asked for a trade a while back....one would think the Leafs would have accommodated that. But they haven't. He's not a player that is desirable...
Because the Leafs don't have to trade him if they don't want to? lol if the Leafs were so done with Robertson they were willing to give him away...he would have been traded. This is a truly ridiculous opinion on your end honestly.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Because the Leafs don't have to trade him if they don't want to? lol if the Leafs were so done with Robertson they were willing to give him away...he would have been traded. This is a truly ridiculous opinion on your end honestly.
Its Robertson that appears to be done with the Leafs. I think its obvious the Leafs explored the trade market after said player asked for a trade. I mean, seems logical

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Its Robertson that appears to be done with the Leafs. I think its obvious the Leafs explored the trade market after said player asked for a trade. I mean, seems logical
I am sure the Leafs have a price that they would trade Robertson for. Other teams haven't been willing to meet that price...which using a bit of logic would mean the Leafs would see some value in him internally and aren't accepting his trade request lol unless you genuinely think Robertson wouldn't have a team offer anything for him?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I am sure the Leafs have a price that they would trade Robertson for. Other teams haven't been willing to meet that price...which using a bit of logic would mean the Leafs would see some value in him internally and aren't accepting his trade request lol unless you genuinely think Robertson wouldn't have a team offer anything for him?
I don't think there are many teams interested in Robertson unless its for a 3rd round pick or less. He wouldn't have a guaranteed spot on any team's top-6 roster. Rebuilding teams have promising young talent that will be vying for those top-6 spots. Robertson is small and oft-injured. He's not good defensively and a terrible option for bottom-6 role. He's in no man's land. If he isn't producing offensively he's useless.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown

LOL how was it a down year for Caufield? it was his highest point total? I get the whole your a Habs fan so you cannot over look your bais but Robertson is far from the waiver wire. The Leafs are not signing him because he has zero leverage they can simply make him take a contract around the QO.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
LOL how was it a down year for Caufield? it was his highest point total? I get the whole your a Habs fan so you cannot over look your bais but Robertson is far from the waiver wire. The Leafs are not signing him because he has zero leverage they can simply make him take a contract around the QO.
Goal scoring-wise it was a down season. Cole even admitted so. Read any post season evaluation and it will say the same thing.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Goal scoring-wise it was a down season. Cole even admitted so. Read any post season evaluation and it will say the same thing.
But the funny thing it wasn't down either. he scored 28 gaols 2 more than the 26 he scored the year before. Funny thing about numbers. They are the numbers regardless of what spin fans or media put on them.
Robertson's first full season in the NHL which is this year he scored at a very similar rate to what Caufield did in his first full year. I am not saying Robertson is the same or as good as Caufield. He is just not as far apart as some fans/media want to believe.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
But the funny thing it wasn't down either. he scored 28 gaols 2 more than the 26 he scored the year before. Funny thing about numbers. They are the numbers regardless of what spin fans or media put on them.
Robertson's first full season in the NHL which is this year he scored at a very similar rate to what Caufield did in his first full year. I am not saying Robertson is the same or as good as Caufield. He is just not as far apart as some fans/media want to believe.
He is light years ahead of Robertson. Its a complete insult to even mention them in the same breath. One is a productive top-line forward. The other has barely cracked an NHL team and wants out of said team. They are from the same draft year!!! Its pretty funny to look back at the threads where Leaf fans claimed N.R was better than Cole. You guys are adorable!

Cole Caufield was not nearly as dangerous last season goal scoring wise. Yes he scored 2 more but with 36 more games played. He had a down season by his standards.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
He is light years ahead of Robertson. Its a complete insult to even mention them in the same breath. One is a productive top-line forward. The other has barely cracked an NHL team and wants out of said team. They are from the same draft year!!! Its pretty funny to look back at the threads where Leaf fans claimed N.R was better than Cole. You guys are adorable!

Cole Caufield was not nearly as dangerous last season goal scoring wise. Yes he scored 2 more but with 36 more games played. He had a down season by his standards.
Again I never claimed he was better. But numbers don't really lie. Both players first year points per game, S% and even point totals compare. ITs really adorable how triggered you are getting over this comparision. As for the draft year I should hope a top 15 draft pick starts his career out better than a bottom of the second round pick.

Like I said the numbers are the numbers regardless of the spin.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Again I never claimed he was better. But numbers don't really lie. Both players first year points per game, S% and even point totals compare. ITs really adorable how triggered you are getting over this comparision. As for the draft year I should hope a top 15 draft pick starts his career out better than a bottom of the second round pick.

Like I said the numbers are the numbers regardless of the spin.
The problem is that you have to compare apples to apples. They were in the same draft year. So you have to compare their D+1, D+2 etc. You can't compare 22 year old Nick to 20 year old Cole. And even if you did, Cole blew Nick out of the water offensively.

Cole Caufield is in a different stratosphere than Nick Robertson. Nick has barely cracked an NHL roster. He played AHL games last season... And he's still not out of the woods. Nick is following in the steps of Kailer Yamamoto. Maybe even behind Kailer. That's the guy you should be comparing Nick to.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Not that far off? LMAO!

Good thing Cole isn’t a top line player then eh . Good player yes ; top line guy on most teams ? No .

Or he has actual value and the Leafs hold all the leverage in contract negotiations ?? Could there not be other results than “ undesirable “?

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
By comparison, In a down year, Caufield had 65 points. Caufield had more goals than Nick had points last year! And that's with Caufield having a poor shooting percentage last year.
One thing you need to consider when doing a comparison is TOI (which stands for Time on Ice). Cole spends twice the time as Nick on the ice. You could also ignore power play minutes too or even total games of experience in the NHL, if that also works for your agenda.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
One thing you need to consider when doing a comparison is TOI (which stands for Time on Ice). Cole spends twice the time as Nick on the ice. You could also ignore power play minutes too or even total games of experience in the NHL, if that also works for your agenda.
So your point is that's unfair to compare the two because one is an established NHL top-line forward, and the other just barely cracked an NHL roster.

Good point!

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
IMO get something done, showcase him at camp with advantageous mins and move him then when the value is higher. Plus if Minten and Cowan step up in camp, Robertson has to be moved.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The problem is that you have to compare apples to apples. They were in the same draft year. So you have to compare their D+1, D+2 etc. You can't compare 22 year old Nick to 20 year old Cole. And even if you did, Cole blew Nick out of the water offensively.

Cole Caufield is in a different stratosphere than Nick Robertson. Nick has barely cracked an NHL roster. He played AHL games last season... And he's still not out of the woods. Nick is following in the steps of Kailer Yamamoto. Maybe even behind Kailer. That's the guy you should be comparing Nick to.
Ok lets compare the numbers of 20 year old Caufield
SeasonAgeTmLgGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWEVPPSHSS%TSATOIATOIFOWFOLFO%BLKHITTKGVAwards
2020-2120MTLNHL10415-1240021003013.35614013:58000334

Or did you mean a 21 year old Caufield?

2021-2221MTLNHL67232043-241018503128018812.2327111816:415550.07183227Calder-9

Here is Robertson's 22 year old season.

2023-2422TORNHL56141327441310111209614.616863711:233827.324342818

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
So your point is that's unfair to compare the two because one is an established NHL top-line forward, and the other just barely cracked an NHL roster.

Good point!
Or Caufield was lucky enough to play on a team who's talent level crated around the same time he entered the league. While Robertson just finished his first season in the NHL on a team where Caufield would be the 3rd line right winger.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Not that far off? LMAO!

And therein lies why he wants a trade...

Nobody's saying that Robertson is better than Caufield; only that they are given VASTLY different types of opportunities.

Montreal has basically nothing in the form of top-end offensive talent. Cole Caufield gets a ton of leash, and a ton of opportunity as a result. When you are the #1 option on the powerplay or when the team needs a goal, 2nd on the team in TOI, that's a massive injection of confidence.

Robertson averaged 48 seconds of powerplay time a game last year, and almost exclusively on the Leafs 2nd unit that doesn't get used. There are 4 "skill" guys that are well above him on the depth chart, and a guy like Matthew Knies, Bobby McMann, or Tyler Bertuzzi is a much better "compliment" to the Leafs skill than he is.

Yes, Caufield has proven himself in the league and Robertson hasn't... but you have to ask yourself, if the situations were reversed a couple of years ago, would Caufield have had the opportunity to prove himself in Toronto like he has in Montreal?

Heck, go ahead and trade Caufield for Robertson 1 for 1 (ignoring salary cap, the fact that MTL obviously wouldn't do it)... is it really such a stretch to think that Caufield probably regresses to a mid-20 goal scorer with a reduced opportunity, and Robertson progresses to a 20+ goal scorer with more opportunity on a team desparate for skill?

Unless you're clearing out a Marner or Nylander in the process, there just isn't a ton of space for a Caufield-like player on the Leafs... and that's basically what Robertson hopes to be...

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I think w top 6 minutes Robertson would be a lock for 20 plus goals ( assuming he plays the majority of the season ) . Heck he paced for that last year w horrendous deployment . Hes a talented finisher and better defensively than he’s being described in this thread . Staying healthy ( along w a quicker first step ) is his main hurdle imo .

Reactions: Jacob582

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad