Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Estonian Robert Arrak (Blues U16) could be one player to watch. Have seen him numerous times over the course of the season. Big 1999 born center who can protect the puck and has some skill to his game, but can be physical as well. Fairly good puck skills and hands. He's good at face offs and has some upside, though may be a long shot for the 2017 NHL Draft. He's still one player worth watching for the upcoming years IMO.

Arrak is coming to the US to play for Cedar Rapids of the USHL. It was announced in the Cedar Rapids paper today

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Estonian goalie Conrad Mölder (-99) has excellent stats in Finnish juniors. Late birthday so he's 2018 draft eligible.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...=249767&team=&year=&status=&leagueid=&season=

I've seen Mölder once live this season and he was really solid. Allowed just one goal in regulation and made about 40 saves. He seemed to have good technique, athleticism and didn't quit on any play. Pelicans U18 isn't strong as a team and they're last in the league. There's not a whole lot of talent on the team among defense or forwards. Those numbers are certainly really good.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Could be wrong, he used a loop hole that allows him to play for Finland because he never played international for Estonia

It's not exactly a loophole. If you play 2 years after age 10 in a country that you hold a passport for, you're eligible to play for them.

So if he's born in Estonia and moves to Finland at 11 and gets a Finnish passport at 13, he's technically not even eligible for Estonia

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
So if he's born in Estonia and moves to Finland at 11 and gets a Finnish passport at 13, he's technically not even eligible for Estonia

That's weird because you'd think that you can play for the country you were born in, no matter what. Not a fan of getting players from another country, but if he feels he's a Finn and has that spirit in him like Komarov, I have no problem with him stopping the pucks for Finland in the future.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
That's weird because you'd think that you can play for the country you were born in, no matter what. Not a fan of getting players from another country, but if he feels he's a Finn and has that spirit in him like Komarov, I have no problem with him stopping the pucks for Finland in the future.

I 100% agree with that logic.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
And apparently I missed that he was sent back to Hershey the other day. Still, hopefully he has another decent season down there, and earns himself a callup at some point this season. Would make such a great story.

On Australian Nathan Walker: He's having a very good season! Picked up two more goals tonight. When Paul Carey was recently recalled to Washington Walker was moved up to the #1 line in the AHL with Travis Boyd and Jakub Vrana and did not look out of place. Guys definitely a bottom sixer in the NHL but he plays way bigger than his size would make you think. Doubt he ever has a 20 goal season in the NHL but I would not be the least bit surprised to see him have an extended career. He's got a ton of heart and plays every shift like it's his last.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
On Australian Nathan Walker: He's having a very good season! Picked up two more goals tonight. When Paul Carey was recently recalled to Washington Walker was moved up to the #1 line in the AHL with Travis Boyd and Jakub Vrana and did not look out of place. Guys definitely a bottom sixer in the NHL but he plays way bigger than his size would make you think. Doubt he ever has a 20 goal season in the NHL but I would not be the least bit surprised to see him have an extended career. He's got a ton of heart and plays every shift like it's his last.

Based on everything I've read about him it sounds like he's an Antoine Roussel. As in, a gritty bottom sixer that scores 15-30 points in the NHL. Is that an accurate comparison?

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Based on everything I've read about him it sounds like he's an Antoine Roussel. As in, a gritty bottom sixer that scores 15-30 points in the NHL. Is that an accurate comparison?

I don't think that's too terrible of a comparison. Walkers a good bit smaller than Roussel but they definitely play a similar style. I think a 30 point NHL season for Walker would be a peak season.

Mr Sniper

Nov 29, 2016
Sweden

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Just a reminder for those, or new information for others, but with the lower division World Junior tournaments, the IIHF often has free live streams of all the games available on their website. Most of these tournaments start on December 11, and some countries have their preliminary rosters posted already, with the final ones to be expected in the coming days.

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Cristian Long (03) 13 years old from Italy, has played in the u16 league, racked up 3p in 5 games. But is outstanding in the u14 league, where he has scored 34+8 in 7 games. I know a lot of players scores a lots of points in ages like this. But i just wanna mention this kid. Cause he is outstanding in the for his age in his country.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=480280

http://powerhockey.info/scoringleaders.php?level=175

34 SOG and 34 goals in 7 games? 100% shoot percentage???? :laugh: What type of competition is he playing against? lol

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Liam Kirk is having a great season at only 16... http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=230605

scoring at a better rate than ex-Slovakian u20 captain Milan Kolena... who is six years older with KHL experience.

His 1.2 PPG is the best for anyone his age over the last 10 years in that league by some way... future national team players have generally put up ~0.4-0.7 if they play there at the same age.

And just put up 4 pts in 3 WJC-20 D1B games... at 16.

Has silky hands and a really nice release.

He should be in the EIHL full-time next year... or go abroad.

He is 18 months younger than Sam Duggan and already better tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad