Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
Noticed it now. Could have sworn he was Norwegian, he came over from Norway to HV71 this season and has played for the Norwegian selects teams. Pretty sure he wasn't listed as Swedish on eliteprospects earlier.

He grew up and lived in Norway since he was around 1 and played in Norway inntil this season. His family has settled in Norway where his dad is a coach and personal trainer, his older brother plays for Stjernen in Norway.

I would guess that he would represent Norway internationally if given the choice.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Yeah, this. Since 2010 (so, in the last 1000 and a bit players selected) there's been literally no one chosen from any French or Italian league at any level. There's been more players selected from China.

I'd think most French players would either play in Switzerland (like Huet did), or immigrated to Canada or the US ala Roussell.

According to quant-hockey, there hasn't been a purely Italian player in the NHL since 2002 (obviously not counting guys like Scandella or Sbisa who are dual citizens that grew up in the other country), so I don't even know where promising Italians would play.

There has only ever been one Italian player drafted, and that would be Thomas Larkin (who is a weird case, as his father is American, mother Italian, born in the UK, and largely developed in the US). France has had a few more, namely Cristobal Huet, Antoine Roussel (undrafted), and Tim Bozon (born in the US though). However of the three, only Huet ever played in the French league, and then spent several years in Switzerland before being drafted (Roussel moved to Quebec and Bozon largely played in Switzerland). There probably won't be any players drafted out of the French or Italian leagues, either, simply because the quality of play is too low there; that is not to say French and Italian players won't be drafted, it would just be players who moved to a better league (usually Switzerland for the French, and maybe Austria or Germany for the Italians, though no basis for that claim).

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Among the younger Austrian youth the transfers are starting to settle. Here is what I know.

Jacob Pfeffer to Sweden
Jannik Fröwis to Lugano
Adem Kandemir to Davos
Marvin Kortin to Davos
Mica Moosman to Lugano, Kloten, or Zug
Vinzenz Rohrer to ZSC/GCK
Jonas Taibel to Rapperswil

There are rumors for other players but these are the transfers that are more or less published.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Adam Vay, a Hungarian goalie who was just playing at the World Championship, signed an entry level contract with the Wild. Going to jump from the Hungarian league to (hopefully) AHL, and may get a shot in the NHL next year if he can perform.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Adam Vay, a Hungarian goalie who was just playing at the World Championship, signed an entry level contract with the Wild. Going to jump from the Hungarian league to (hopefully) AHL, and may get a shot in the NHL next year if he can perform.

New Huet?))

Rajna

May 8, 2016
Budapest, Hungary
Another Hungarian on the World Championship team is Vilmos Gallo (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=367) who is a 96 born who played in the SHL this year. He seems good enough to carve out a pro career at a top level, at least in Europe.

Yeah, he played on the top line for a while last year and have extended with Linköping. I don't think he would be good for the NHL, but I think he can easily be a top six player in the KHL.

Same for Csanad Erdely, who is the same age as Gallo and is only slightly less talented. He is playing in the USHL to develop his physical game, which was non-existent before, his goal is clearly the NHL, but I see him in a top European team in the future.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Gallo is a pretty good kid. He's almost putting up similar numbers (slightly lower) as Hari was same age, and Hari is like a SHL contributor level guy. Anyone got info on David Kozma? He's probably the next Swedish Hungarian prospect in the tank he plays for Lerum. His stats aren't bad, but he's a dual citizen so I'm not sure he's eligible. He's played in select tournaments for Hungary but so did Travis Treloar for Norway and Redmond Savage for Austria and those player's NT futures are far from set.

Other news on the day, 2 years running NHL Draft watch lister Lukas Haudum transfers from Sodertalje to Malmo so that he can play SHL. Also, Mica Moosman is going to HC Lugano.

Last edited:

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
20-year-old French forward Malo Ville has signed a 1-year contract with TUTO Hockey which plays at the second highest level in Finland. He has already played a few seasons in Finland at the junior level, including for Jokerit U20 in where he had a pretty good season in 2014-15.

Malo Ville @ Eliteprospects

Rajna

May 8, 2016
Budapest, Hungary
Gallo is a pretty good kid. He's almost putting up similar numbers (slightly lower) as Hari was same age, and Hari is like a SHL contributor level guy. Anyone got info on David Kozma? He's probably the next Swedish Hungarian prospect in the tank he plays for Lerum. His stats aren't bad, but he's a dual citizen so I'm not sure he's eligible. He's played in select tournaments for Hungary but so did Travis Treloar for Norway and Redmond Savage for Austria and those player's NT futures are far from set.

Talentwise, Gallo seems better than Hari. And Hari was one of the best (if not the best) players on Leksand last year, and he will probably keep on being that in the SHL.

Regarding Kozma, I'm not sure if he is in that high regard as of now. He wasn't chosen to play for the U16 squad when they went to Canada (that could have been his club's decision though, but there were other players from foreign clubs who joined the team). He is putting up decent numbers way above his age level, but it's still Division 2/3, which is not ideal for development.

He is probably ineligible due to the Hari-rule (he needs two consecutive years in Hungary after the age of 12, he only has one as he was still 12 when he went to Sweden), so I doubt he will play for the NT. I do not recall his name on rosters of Hungarian NTs but even if he has played for one, it's not official until it's an U18 WC, for which he is almost certainly will not be eligible.

Watch out for Marcell Revesz though. He is playing well in Switzerland and was a member of a pretty good U18 NT this year despite being just 15. We have had a few good prospects in Switzerland in the past, but Kristof Hentes gave up hockey for his studies and Zsombor Kiss is coming along nicely, maybe we will see him next year in Kiev.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Talentwise, Gallo seems better than Hari. And Hari was one of the best (if not the best) players on Leksand last year, and he will probably keep on being that in the SHL.

Regarding Kozma, I'm not sure if he is in that high regard as of now. He wasn't chosen to play for the U16 squad when they went to Canada (that could have been his club's decision though, but there were other players from foreign clubs who joined the team). He is putting up decent numbers way above his age level, but it's still Division 2/3, which is not ideal for development.

He is probably ineligible due to the Hari-rule (he needs two consecutive years in Hungary after the age of 12, he only has one as he was still 12 when he went to Sweden), so I doubt he will play for the NT. I do not recall his name on rosters of Hungarian NTs but even if he has played for one, it's not official until it's an U18 WC, for which he is almost certainly will not be eligible.

Watch out for Marcell Revesz though. He is playing well in Switzerland and was a member of a pretty good U18 NT this year despite being just 15. We have had a few good prospects in Switzerland in the past, but Kristof Hentes gave up hockey for his studies and Zsombor Kiss is coming along nicely, maybe we will see him next year in Kiev.
Hari was significantly better at that age though. We'll see who ends up better, Gallo has a more projectable frame.

The rule is 2 full seasons after turning 10, but if he moved for his 12 year old season it's unlikely given his birthday.

I'm aware of Revesz, I was bragging on him over in the IT forum. He would probably even make the Austrian U16 NT, which is the most stacked in years.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
On the topic of Marcell Revesz, he's staying at Lugano next year right? If so that will create a really interesting situation haha.

Switzerland has a 5 import rule, one team can only carry 5 imports at a single time. Next year at Lugano Timo Demuth, Cordiano and Sarzi-Puttini won't be age eligible to play Elite Novizen so they will have to play Elite Junioren A. Then Jannik Fröwis will be the 4th import on the Elite Junioren A team because he's a skilled kid. That will leave Marcell Revesz to duel with the aforementioned Mica Moosman for that last import spot on the Junioren team, while the other will be stuck in Novizen. Survival of the fittest haha

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
As expected, Samuel Duggan wasn't drafted. Will be playing in the Super Elit this year.

On the topic of the draft, only one non-traditional player was selected: Wouter Peeters, a Belgian goalie who was in the Austrian league last year and will play in the Jokerit system this year. Went in the third round, too.

A little disappointed Alan Lyszczarczyk wasn't selected, but hopefully another year in the OHL will give him some more notability and he may go as an overager next year. He is invited to the Leafs development camp at least, which doesn't exactly mean anything but is at least something.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Doesn't mean much, but yesterday there were 6 Belarussians selected in CHL import draft, beating their previous record of 5 draftees, that was set in 2008. When I say it doesn't mean much, I really mean it, because only two of those 5 amounted to anything of value to Belarussian national team. That said I'm quite high on Maxim Sushko, I see a sure fire draftee when his draft year comes.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
This could be a kid to keep an eye on: Senna Peeters

Although I am worried about the level of competition his team is facing this season.
He had a goal and 4 assists in a 9-0 win in the first game of the season and followed taht up with 5 goals and 15 assists in the second game which Salzburg won 30-0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad