Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

maaran

Apr 17, 2017
Canada
True. :laugh:

But compared to some of the other kids that play in the German junior leagues he is not that small. But for international play he will definitely have to get bigger. At least he won't turn 15 until December, so he might yet reach 6 feet. Or at least get close to it.

He is a very long shot, but I found it intriguing that he is putting up decent numbers as a 14 year old in a league, where many players are 2 or 3 years older.
But I guess this guy is a little more promising Leon Draisaitl.
He sure has the hockey pedigree to become a good player.

Congrats on guessing that one right.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
None of those prospects for 2018 look promising except Sakhokiya. The problem is you gotta look at the league as well as their stats, all of them who played in Finland played in Junior B Mestis. And not even that, but posted like 5 points in 20 or so games when it's tier II in Finland. Only that goaler in 2018 played one game in Junior A which is Finland's top junior league.

The other problem I see for Estonia, which has happened to Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan is that the top prospects have a good chance of being lured away by Russia internationally. I understand that Estonia has a very anti-Russian view, but to help a player's hockey career, they might believe they're better off joining Russia and a chance to play in Gold Medal games than tier II in IIHF tournies (which I would hope is the case).

So if Sakhokiya or Berezhonov actually have NHL talent, you might see Russia Federation pursue them immensely even if they choose Estonia in the end.

In the end it's good to see more players actually go to Finland and play valuable minutes in Finnish hockey (which has boomed). It shows that hockey is on rise in the country, but I don't know if it has the desire or finances to become better compared to countries like France, Hungary, and Korea. I believe they'll stay as a middle tier nation for the next decade or so even though we'll probably see more players in the likes of SHL, Liiga, DEL, and KHL.[/url]

Good to know. Odd that when I posted that all the dudes were listed but now most have been removed.

From that logic though sounds like Sakhokiya,Berezhonov and maybe Molder are the only ones with any draft potential. Still nice to see a country improving at such a rapid rate though. Robert Arrak played in the USHL last year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So 18 year-old Mark Kaleinikovas who has been mentioned in this thread already at some point signed a deal with Kunlun to play for their MHL team. He also played in Latvian league all-star game last year. Kind of a big deal for Lithuania especially considering this is someone who can actually be successful in the MHL.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Looks like the post got deleted in the merger but:

Bayley Harewood ('03) looks like a solid prospect. He's from Wales and plays for the CIHA Bantams in the Ottawa league.

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Went through NHL CSS preliminary rankings and found some ones. All are ranked "C" level as of now, and maybe I missed a few.

Max Vilstrup Olesen, D [DEN]
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266402

Colin Ugbekile, D [GER]
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=249331

Rasmus Simonsen, C/LW [DEN]
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=330170

Phillip Schultz, C [DEN]
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=316737

Aikra Schmid [SUI] Plays for Suisse which is country I don't consider non-traditional, but is half Japanese
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=336133

Artjoms Koppass [LAT]
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=397181

Sondre Bolling Vaaler [NOR]
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=388735

Dominik Bokk, LW [GER]
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=259973

Robert Arrak, C/RW [EST]
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=297104

Didn't add Emilio Pettersen since everyone knows about him. Zero Liam Kirk or Keiran Brown on the list.

Reactions: Valdemar

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Seeing that Vladimir Alistrov has seemingly recommited to Belarussian hockey, his name definately deserves his name mentioned in this thread. Had statistically a down year in Russian u16 league in 16/17 season, but has been top player on every team he has played so for. Name to bookmark at least while looking ahead of future CHL import drafts.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Couple of players from Belarus worth to be mentioned.
Vladislav Barkovsky, 2001, who have signed a pro contract with Yunost Minsk, one of the Belarus Extralegue leaders. 2 assist points in 11 games by now.
Ilya Usov, 2001, looked decent in Belarus U-18 frienlies in August, scrored 4 (1+3) points vs Slovan U20 and 1 (1+0) point vs Slovakia U18.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Mark Kaleinikovas scored a hattrick in the MHL a couple of days ago and OT winner today. 8 + 3 overall in 26 matches so far. It's going to be interesting how 2nd part of the season goes but obviously the biggest Lithuanian prospect since Zubrus.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Not sure about up and coming (not drafted yet) ones; both nations have one player in the NHL pipeline as of this moment. Daniel Sprong is one of the top Pittsburgh prospects, but per Wikipedia: "Though a Dutch citizen, Sprong has declined to play internationally for the Dutch national team in hopes of playing for the Canadian national team instead."

Chicago Blackhawks drafted Belgian goalie Wouter Peeters #83 overall in 2016, but I don't really know anything about him or how he's doing.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I've noticed a few Estonians popping up on prospect lists lately. Is there something going on there?

Not saying i´m som sort of expert in Estonian hockey.

Don´t know. Few more promising Estonians has come to Finland at young age. It´s possible that there is little more interest among Estonians towards hockey (It has been dominated by Russian Estonians for years). But I can´t see anything significant.

Conrad Mölder is one of the most intriquing. Did see him few times last season It´s hard to evaluate goalie in such a puck rain. He did impress me, but in a way he was strongly in the flow. Plays in Kunlun juniors. Don´t know how he has played this season. Would be tempted to say in top 10 most promising maybe even top 5 among "Finnish" u20 goalies.

But I feel it´s bit odd that at some point all of the Estonians in here were listed as "NHL prospects". Haven´t seen them all but looking their career paths and numbers it doesn´t scream pro career...

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I think those Estonians are listed just because some of those names have been put there when they are really young so they get more views. They and people who follow hockey a lot don't know enough about prospects from the bigger countries. Not because they really are that special. There are so many young british players too, I don't think they are even that good. 100-200 views put you really high when player is really young.

Most of the time it's really hard to predict where most of these young guys will be in the next 10 years. Of course you just know when someone is really special.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I think those Estonians are listed just because some of those names have been put there when they are really young so they get more views. They and people who follow hockey a lot don't know enough about prospects from the bigger countries. Not because they really are that special. There are so many young british players too, I don't think they are even that good. 100-200 views put you really high when player is really young.

Most of the time it's really hard to predict where most of these young guys will be in the next 10 years. Of course you just know when someone is really special.

I don´t know how they list prospects as NHL prospects in eliteprospects. My gut feeling was that someone wanted to list his (possibly) fellow countrymen who were somewhat promising. And it created snowball effect. I remember first reading it from Estonian paper. About 6 Estonians possibly going in next years draft. :)

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I don´t know how they list prospects as NHL prospects in eliteprospects. My gut feeling was that someone wanted to list his (possibly) fellow countrymen who were somewhat promising. And it created snowball effect. I remember first reading it from Estonian paper. About 6 Estonians possibly going in next years draft. :)
Yeah thats most likely the case. I didn't mean NHL prospects, just list of young age groups, like 2004-2006 born players. You watch Elite Prospects - Most Clicked/Viewed Players and you see a lot of players from England.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
So what is the deal with Estonia?? Lots of talk about this over the last few months in this thread but I'm really intrigued now that the CSS rankings are out.

Conrad Molder is ranked 15 for Euro goalies, not great, but he's there. Good season with KRS but still unknown who he'd represent internationally.

Robert Arrak ranked #117 for Euro skaters after a damn solid season with Jokerit U20, even grabbed a few Mestis games.

Sakkhokiya nowhere to be found, looks like he fell off a cliff upon making MHL.

Anyone know what this is all about? Savenkov is eligible next year as well.

Just seems so weird that after producing one prospect ever who at best was an AHLer all these possible late round picks are crawling out of the woodwork.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
So what is the deal with Estonia?? Lots of talk about this over the last few months in this thread but I'm really intrigued now that the CSS rankings are out.

Conrad Molder is ranked 15 for Euro goalies, not great, but he's there. Good season with KRS but still unknown who he'd represent internationally.

Robert Arrak ranked #117 for Euro skaters after a damn solid season with Jokerit U20, even grabbed a few Mestis games.

Sakkhokiya nowhere to be found, looks like he fell off a cliff upon making MHL.

Anyone know what this is all about? Savenkov is eligible next year as well.

Just seems so weird that after producing one prospect ever who at best was an AHLer all these possible late round picks are crawling out of the woodwork.

I think that there’s been a lot more rinks built in the Baltics over the last decade and the fruits of that building spree are paying off.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are there any up and coming Dutch talents?
Here is the best that I've accumulated the past couple of years.

Bartek Bison
Dani Bindels
Guus van Nes
Max Hermens
Noah Muller
Ruud Leeuwesteijn
Ties van Soest

Ties is probably their best junior player...which is simply not good enough. Sprong didn't want to play for the Dutch because of awful development after his father put a lot of money in their hockey program. That needs to tell you everything about who is in charge of their hockey federation (clueless idiots).

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Here is the best that I've accumulated the past couple of years.

Bartek Bison
Dani Bindels
Guus van Nes
Max Hermens
Noah Muller
Ruud Leeuwesteijn
Ties van Soest

Ties is probably their best junior player...which is simply not good enough. Sprong didn't want to play for the Dutch because of awful development after his father put a lot of money in their hockey program. That needs to tell you everything about who is in charge of their hockey federation (clueless idiots).

Ice hockey is just not a very well known sport here in The Netherlands, although skating is (which is kinda funny if you think about it). The Dutch/Belgian league is just not good enough, and it says a lot when the top team of Holland moves over to the German leagues (Third league) to get more opposition. I am really hoping a new wave of players will emerge due to Sprong's success in the NHL. Only time will tell, but this sport NEEDS to get bigger and better in The Netherlands to make an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad