Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Seeing that Vladimir Alistrov has seemingly recommited to Belarussian hockey, his name definately deserves his name mentioned in this thread. Had statistically a down year in Russian u16 league in 16/17 season, but has been top player on every team he has played so for. Name to bookmark at least while looking ahead of future CHL import drafts.
Some update on the kid from U18's. Put up seven (3+4) points in five games and generally looked really dangerous against elite nations of the world. I'm excited to see how his further career pans out from here on.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
Mason Alderson, 2020 entry-level draft prospect

A British player who reporesented GB in the WJC-18 D2A and posted nine points in five games; two more than Liam Kirk and one more than Kieran Brown (2019 prospect). He will likely go much higher than Liam Kirk, so English hockey development programs are certainly improving.

Yu Sato, 2020 entry-level draft prospect

A Japanese player, whom, plays in a Russian u-16 league. According to Elite Prospects, he has posted 27 points in 27 games, but a player named Valentin Demchenko is the same age, but possesses a 2.48 PP/G average. Despite this, he is not listed on the site's potential prospect pool for the 2020 draft, so I presuppose Sato was added just for the sake of adding him.

Oleksii Myklukha, 2021 entry-level draft prospect

A Ukrainian player that dominated a u-18 league in Slovakia. Admittedly, the league does not possess star-calibre skill, but many forecast him to be a first round selection in 2021, but it's still early.

Last edited by a moderator:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Yu Sato, 2020 entry-level draft prospect

A Japanese player, whom, plays in a Russian u-16 league. According to Elite Prospects, he has posted 27 points in 27 games, but a player named Valentin Demchenko is the same age, but possesses a 2.48 PP/G average. Despite this, he is not listed on the site's potential prospect pool for the 2020 draft, so I presuppose Sato was added just for the sake of adding him.

I will rebuff all of it. Sato is legit, Russia U16 (U17 and U18) on Eliteprospects is a "catch all" thing like USHS was until recently. Russia U16 is a wild thing - the level of play in it is all over the place, there are powerhouse regions like Moscow and Urals where the level of play is super high and then there are regions that more or less manufactures future amateur players. Your mentioned Demchenko is a good player, but he really has to put up 2 PP/G to be considered a real prospect in average St.Petersburg region. Sato plays on a mediocre team in stacked Moscow group and has better numbers than his teammate Vasili Ponomaryov who was by far the best scorer for Russia U16 national team past season.

That said I'm just number scouting, but so far he definitely deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
I will rebuff all of it. Sato is legit, Russia U16 (U17 and U18) on Eliteprospects is a "catch all" thing like USHS was until recently. Russia U16 is a wild thing - the level of play in it is all over the place, there are powerhouse regions like Moscow and Urals where the level of play is super high and then there are regions that more or less manufactures future amateur players. Your mentioned Demchenko is a good player, but he really has to put up 2 PP/G to be considered a real prospect in average St.Petersburg region. Sato plays on a mediocre team in stacked Moscow group and has better numbers than his teammate Vasili Ponomaryov who was by far the best scorer for Russia U16 national team past season.

That said I'm just number scouting, but so far he definitely deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

Interesting. Thank you for the extensive insight. It seems to me as if Sato has a much better chance at making it to the show in comparison to Aito Iguchi. Hopefully, Sato can grow a few inches, as it'll be tough to succeed at 5'5". Then again, Eliteprospects does not update the height and weight category very oft.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Sato doesn't have better numbers than Ponomyryov. (Going by EP numbers)

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Robert Arrak of Estonia made his Liiga debut earlier today (or yesterday I suppose). Of course he's been in the Finnish system the past few years after spending one year in the USHL, and is now the third Estonian in Liiga (after Robert Rooba and someone that Eliteprospects isn't showing right now for some reason).

Reactions: Stive Morgan

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Robert Arrak of Estonia made his Liiga debut earlier today (or yesterday I suppose). Of course he's been in the Finnish system the past few years after spending one year in the USHL, and is now the third Estonian in Liiga (after Robert Rooba and someone that Eliteprospects isn't showing right now for some reason).
It might be Conrad Moller.

Reactions: kaiser matias

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
It might be Conrad Moller.

Yeah that has to be him. EP has him listed as a Liiga player for 2018-19, just with no games played yet, which is likely why he doesn't show up on the nationality list, but still is counted.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I wish Erik Embrich had played in Estonia after age 10 at some point. It'd really be a big boon to the team if the could cop him.
Even if he would have done so, I believe he wants to play only for Finland.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Anybody else notice the large influx of Belorussian prospects in the CHL over the last few years? This year especially there is a ton, mostly in the WHL it seems but also in the other two leagues. I wonder what the reasoning behind the increase in their demand is.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Anybody else notice the large influx of Belorussian prospects in the CHL over the last few years? This year especially there is a ton, mostly in the WHL it seems but also in the other two leagues. I wonder what the reasoning behind the increase in their demand is.
More likely to report than top Russians, Swedes, Finns or Czechs.

They do alright. Better than prospects from many of the other mid-majors, but usually not exceptionally good. It's a nice little pipeline they've set up, but without real solutions to the fundamental issues underlying Belorussian hockey, it's just window dressing.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
More likely to report than top Russians, Swedes, Finns or Czechs.

They do alright. Better than prospects from many of the other mid-majors, but usually not exceptionally good. It's a nice little pipeline they've set up, but without real solutions to the fundamental issues underlying Belorussian hockey, it's just window dressing.

Hardworking bunch but not as much skill in the pipeline right now. Though this is not unlike Czech and Switzerland in the recent past. Hopefully Belarus can take the next step.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Indeed, Belarus is more or less kinda where Latvia was in mid 00's. If most of these kids will make it to pro level, the Belarus will finally able to get some new blood in NT without giving out passports to foreigners. It's early in the season, but it looks like this Belarussian trend is not stoping here as there is quite few players that will be looked at in next CHL import drafts.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
So I want to bump this to talking about Ramirez; he's posting wonderful numbers in France's U20 league and has been good enough to play ten games for Anglet's men team as well. I am not saying he's an NHL prospect, but should become a solid European player for Spain's national team.

Alejandro Burgos Ramirez at eliteprospects.com

Alexandre Texier 2.0 without points?

Reactions: NLRAIDERS

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
So I want to bump this to talking about Ramirez; he's posting wonderful numbers in France's U20 league and has been good enough to play ten games for Anglet's men team as well. I am not saying he's an NHL prospect, but should become a solid European player for Spain's national team.

Alejandro Burgos Ramirez at eliteprospects.com

18 years old and going into his fourth Works Junior tournament. At that level it's hard to tell of he's that good or the Spanish team just needs bodies, though if he's in the French league I'd definitley suspect the former. Hopefully he keeps it up, good for Spain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad