Confirmed with Link: UMass LD Zac Jones to join the Rangers!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Walker saying Jones' camp doesn't know if he will play this season. He's playing...maybe two games. Why sign him and have him sit on the couch? That makes zero sense.

Well he won't be sitting on the couch lol.

He'll be with the team practicing and getting reps in the gym. Id be surprised if he doesnt get a look at some point this year, likely after they've been mathematically eliminated.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Well he won't be sitting on the couch lol.

He'll be with the team practicing and getting reps in the gym. Id be surprised if he doesnt get a look at some point this year, likely after they've been mathematically eliminated.
Seravalli saying he is lineup-bound tells me a lot, or else why would he have turned pro? He wanted to go back for his JR season.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I mean as a hockey fan that’s the ultimate goal, is it not? Unless people enjoy losing and rooting for a terrible team?
nothing to be positive on the way to get there? apparently signing a very good prospect and potentially getting him some ice time at a higher level is "really bad." thats next level garbage negativity. ur the type of poster who would complain about the cap situation going forward the night after winning the cup.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I mean as a hockey fan that’s the ultimate goal, is it not? Unless people enjoy losing and rooting for a terrible team?

I get enjoyment out of almost any victory, nice goal, goal from a young player.

Some of my favorite NYR memories are winning big playoff games or playoff series, that didn't necessarily end in a cup.

The cup is the ultimate win, but if the only part of sports people get happy about is winning a championship thats an unhappy existence. There are fans of club soccer teams in Europe whose literal goal for the season is to not get relegated to a lower level, or to win a secondary trophy.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Seravalli saying he is lineup-bound tells me a lot, or else why would he have turned pro? He wanted to go back for his JR season.

You get paid right away and get a year closer to UFA. Plus being around the team, getting a strength program put in place, etc. will all give him a leg up on challenging for a spot next year vs guys who are not doing these things. If he falls short, he goes to Hartford which is what he would have done anyway while still being a year closer to UFA.

It's really a great deal for him.

Reactions: egelband

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I don't expect him to be in the lineup for the Rangers. Our 3rd pairing right now is not where you want to break in a rookie defenseman. Smith is horrible in his own zone. Moving Hajek to the right side and sliding Jones in might be slightly better but still...I expect he'll just be practicing with the team. Maybe trades are coming?

Reactions: Captain Lindy

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...He wanted to go back for his JR season.
those quotes were from before the Hockey East playoffs
once they made Frozen Four, 2 wins from the title,
it seemed reasonable he might turn pro IF they won title (they did)

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I get enjoyment out of almost any victory, nice goal, goal from a young player.

Some of my favorite NYR memories are winning big playoff games or playoff series, that didn't necessarily end in a cup.

The cup is the ultimate win, but if the only part of sports people get happy about is winning a championship thats an unhappy existence. There are fans of club soccer teams in Europe whose literal goal for the season is to not get relegated to a lower level, or to win a secondary trophy.

that’s a loser’s mentality. maybe it’s the yankee fan in me, but you shouldn’t be proud of losing in the playoffs. if you’re not first, you’re last. maybe there are a bunch of mets and/or jets fans who are used to and accept incompetence, but I’m not one of them. As a Rangers fan, I don’t want this team to win a single Stanley Cup. I want them to win multiple Stanley Cups. We have the foundation to become a really good team for a good few years. While the big moves obviously matter, the small moves can be the difference between being able to make a certain move that leads you to a Cup or not. If you don’t look at every move with true scrutiny, then you don’t really care about the team’s long term success and you’re just here for the ride, which is fine. But don’t criticize a fan who actually wants the team to win.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
that’s a loser’s mentality. maybe it’s the yankee fan in me, but you shouldn’t be proud of losing in the playoffs. if you’re not first, you’re last. maybe there are a bunch of mets and/or jets fans who are used to and accept incompetence, but I’m not one of them. As a Rangers fan, I don’t want this team to win a single Stanley Cup. I want them to win multiple Stanley Cups. We have the foundation to become a really good team for a good few years. While the big moves obviously matter, the small moves can be the difference between being able to make a certain move that leads you to a Cup or not. If you don’t look at every move with true scrutiny, then you don’t really care about the team’s long term success and you’re just here for the ride, which is fine. But don’t criticize a fan who actually wants the team to win.

This might be one of the most depressing things I've read on these boards so far.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008

Fair enough but can I criticize you for quoting Ricky Bobby unironically?

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Fair enough but can I criticize you for quoting Ricky Bobby unironically?
that’s been a saying long before ricky bobby. I felt the same way last playoffs and during the play-in. I wanted us to lose to carolina because there was a roughly zero percent chance that we’d win the Cup, and a realistic, though unlikely, 12.5% chance we’d get #1 overall. And guess what happened?

This team isn’t ready to compete for the Cup. The moves over the last two years and for the next year or so, through summer 2022, are what build our foundation to go for it all for the 5 or 6 years after that.

Reactions: mas0764

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
At some point in the near future the outside chance of a playoff spot will pass. Then they can run Jones, Reunanen and anyone else out there. Let them get some games so they know what they’re up for next season. Maybe it will lessen their time to get usd to the size and speed of the league.

Also having guys signed makes it easier to include them in a trade. I trust in Gorton.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

i am a Yanks fan and i think this so sad and so wrong.
i actually pity you
You watch every game thinking only about them winning multiple Series, 30 months into the future?
and this "If you don’t look at every move with true scrutiny, then you don’t really care about the team’s long term success"
what a self-impressed, condescending, and refusing to appreciate the moment, perspective
also kinda silly, so much unexpected can happen any day, over-thinking the future is fool's errand

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The burning year could be a bit of compromise on several things, including:

Getting him in the fold earlier

The lack of any performance bonuses in the contract

Something that's not discussed is how this contract, with the ELC burn, affects the RFA status. By having the ELC burn a year, without accrueing a pro season for 2020-21, Zac Jones will be a 10.2(c) status player in 2023

That means he isn't eligible for offer sheets, but more important: He isn't eligible for salary arbitration, which he would have been eligible for based on age and pro experience in 2023.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad