Confirmed with Link: UMass LD Zac Jones to join the Rangers!

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Peters was also saying that Nils could go the UFA route? What’s the timeline on that? Is it the same as a college player where 4 years after his draft we’d lose his rights? I assume we’d trade him before it ever got to that point.

Can we stop quoting Chris Peters? The guy is just stirring shit up. He doesn't know anything.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Peters was also saying that Nils could go the UFA route? What’s the timeline on that? Is it the same as a college player where 4 years after his draft we’d lose his rights? I assume we’d trade him before it ever got to that point.

New York Rangers Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Lundkvist rights expire after '22 seasons
All expectations are he signs w NYR within a couple months,
when his season ends, after SHL or more likely after Worlds

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
NCAA is a step below Euro leagues. Again, I don’t mind that he’s trying to go pro. I just think it’s dumb to do so now and waste a year of his ELC.

In terms of player for player quality? 100%.

In terms of preparing players for NHL readiness? I disagree. We've had 2 guys jump straight from the NCAA and onto our roster in the last 2 years. One of them was considered to be pretty damn raw and yet here we are.

Jones is not the savant that Fox was/is nor does he possess the physical attributes of Miller, but we've been able to work in NCAA guys right off the bat and it's been a much less painful transition for both guys than I think most of us expected.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Not signing always a concern with NCAA guys. What if he went back to school and put up PPG+? Rangers have another shit year and he decides to sign with a playoff bound team?

Not sure he’s 100% ready, but this is good, get him some games and if he plays well you give him the leg up on joining the team out of camp next year. Much easier to make a team in a regular season environment than through a training camp. More indicative of NHL play.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
well then Chris Peters is an idiot....because jones still wouldn't be replacing Deangelo on the 3rd pair....hed be replacing hajek or smith

Let's not forget that neutral reporters like Chris don't follow the Rangers. They cover 31 teams. They sometimes mix up which players play which side

Reactions: Fitzy

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
That Hajek has not been killing penalties is, to me, a stronger indication that it will be he, not Smith, taking a seat. Can't imagine they will throw Jones on the PK right away.

That of course is contingent on what, if any, trades are made in the next hour.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
How confident are you? He seems like Gorton's guy.
He was hired to be a development coach. His contract is up after next season. I think if the team isn't in serious comeptition for a playoff spot next season and there is a good coach on the market he will be gone. If not, highly doubt he is extended. Likely goes back home to BU.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not signing always a concern with NCAA guys. What if he went back to school and put up PPG+? Rangers have another shit year and he decides to sign with a playoff bound team?

Not sure he’s 100% ready, but this is good, get him some games and if he plays well you give him the leg up on joining the team out of camp next year. Much easier to make a team in a regular season environment than through a training camp. More indicative of NHL play.

Jones wouldn't have been eligible to become UFA until August 2023.

Burning the 1st year isn't a big deal. Yeah, he'll get his 2nd contract sooner, but that contract is more likely to be lower, so it all works out.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
The more they inject these young guys into the lineup, the more you see what this team can become...and then I watch the final ten mins, the youthless PP, and the OT and remind myself who the coach is.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
He was hired to be a development coach. His contract is up after next season. I think if the team isn't in serious comeptition for a playoff spot next season and there is a good coach on the market he will be gone. If not, highly doubt he is extended. Likely goes back home to BU.
I have no idea who is even out there that would be attractive enough to bring in. I wanted Brind'Amour so bad, but he is not leaving CAR for NY. If anything he will reunite with Francis in Seattle.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There's no certainty that Lundkvist will be a PP staple right away.

I think a lot of the posters here who have been watching him the closest in the SHL think that he's gonna start as a defense-first kind of guy. His small stature can be misleading about his style of play.

Also Edge thinks Nils is the most likely trade candidate for a big deal.

I think he's probably going to be the most in-demand while still being a possibility the Rangers would at least consider.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I have no idea who is even out there that would be attractive enough to bring in. I wanted Brind'Amour so bad, but he is not leaving CAR for NY. If anything he will reunite with Francis in Seattle.

Right, a lot of it depends on who is available. I think they jump at the opportunity to hire Mike Sullivan if he ever hits the market, for example.

I want no part of Claude, Gallant, and most of the other retreads out there.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Listen all I know is if your burning a year of his ELC, he better get a look these last 20 games

Gorton better be calling Quinn into his office today to lay this shit out lol
Why would Quinn do that? Putting in a fresh rookie doesnt help Make the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad