GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Depends if you believe his negotiation tactics had an affect on whether Guentzel signed with us or not. Considering we were in active negotiations with him, and apparently participating in those negotiations held up money that we could have used to sign other leaving UFAs, I don't buy the idea that Guentzel was never going to sign with us. I think there was a very real possibility that he would have, but we missed our opportunity to do so throughout the negotiation process.
Maybe. You can go back and look at my posts from way back and I was of the opinion that he wasn't going to be re-signed from day 1 and would go to UFA. In the poll we set up I even voted that way.

Who knows for sure though. Maybe he was open to signing here. Maybe he wanted to listen to offers, but was going to shop around as well.

We'll never know so we're left to speculate and as fans, we speculate in a direction that aligns with our views (myself included).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
My take on our defense is that we won't be quite as good "defensively" but we should be a bit better, in aggregate, getting offense from the back end. I think Gostisbehere and Walker together will add up to more offense that Skjei and Pesce. It comes down to whether the added offense will make up for what appears to be lesser defensive acumen.
I think these two will be a great fit for the system but I’d be surprised if the offense gained will out gain the defense lost. We’ll see. They’re going to get matchups favorable for them to add that offense. Rod already has said Slavin will have to play more to make up for the loss of Skjei and Pesce. Presumably Burns will be too…

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Alright, clearly we’re back in “somebody do something” territory, these next three months are gonna suck if we just keep talking about Dundon and Guentzel the whole time

Well, in that vein, has anyone heard anything about Jarvis? Last thing I remember hearing was the exit interviews saying getting him (and Jake) signed was a top priority

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
Well, in that vein, has anyone heard anything about Jarvis? Last thing I remember hearing was the exit interviews saying getting him (and Jake) signed was a top priority

Hmm wonder if Jarvy’s agent is getting a little frisky with salary demands now that Guentzel is off the board…

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think Rod thinks of bottom six forwards the way some people in CO think of having too many bikes or skis. No such thing.
Which is why Facebook always puts pictures of cool old vintage race bikes from marketplace in my feed.

It has worked more than once.

Only two pairs of skis in my current quiver though, my east coast pure carvers and my big mountain skis for trips out west.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Which is why Facebook always puts pictures of cool old vintage race bikes from marketplace in my feed.

It has worked more than once.

Only two pairs of skis in my current quiver though, my east coast pure carvers and my big mountain skis for trips out west.
You look at one bike on marketplace and your feed is nothing but bikes. I feel like it’s a sign I need more bikes but I have a small house without a garage/shed. At one point I had 2 in the living room and 1 in the kitchen. Being single helps

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
You look at one bike on marketplace and your feed is nothing but bikes. I feel like it’s a sign I need more bikes but I have a small house without a garage/shed. At one point I had 2 in the living room and 1 in the kitchen. Being single helps
I have mine outside, hanging on the fence (behind a big heavy locked gate, of course). It's really not so bad. Yeah, bolts get a little surface rust, the UV is somewhat tough on the tires, but I do all my own maintenance so dealing with that is really no trouble. The frames and mechanical bits are made to handle sun and water just fine. Tools, not jewels. If I ever get a $10,000 superbike I might reconsider keeping that one outside, but Jonas Vingegaard I ain't, I don't need his bike.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I have mine outside, hanging on the fence (behind a big heavy locked gate, of course). It's really not so bad. Yeah, bolts get a little surface rust, the UV is somewhat tough on the tires, but I do all my own maintenance so dealing with that is really no trouble. The frames and mechanical bits are made to handle sun and water just fine. Tools, not jewels. If I ever get a $10,000 superbike I might reconsider keeping that one outside, but Jonas Vingegaard I ain't, I don't need his bike.
I built a Time that got close to that . I was suffering delusional feelings that I could be another George Hincapie if I only had that bike. Couldn't part with it for a long time. I finally let it go a year ago. Basically gave it to the kid. He is a natural and will do that steed justice.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I built a Time that got close that . I was suffering delusional feelings that I could be another George Hincapie if I only had that bike. Couldn't part with it for a long time. I finally let it go a year ago. Basically gave it to the kid. He is a natural and will do that steed justice.
And I'm sure he'll treasure it- I fixed up my mother's old bike from college a few years ago, and love taking it out touring occasionally. Those old 70s bikes set up really well for gravel- fairly relaxed geometry, lots of tire clearance. Cool to have something with family history.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
My next project once it cools down is a shed/shop for the bikes. I have about $2k in my main ride (hardtail) but my others are steel 90s/00s frames that just have sentimental value at this point. Looking for my first road bike to add to the collection.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Alright, clearly we’re back in “somebody do something” territory, these next three months are gonna suck if we just keep talking about Dundon and Guentzel the whole time
Oh C'mon, quit being overly dramatic.

We will still have plenty to talk about. Waddell, Staal being played too much, 1st line Martinook, KK sucking, Freddie's health, Burns aging, Orlov sucking (drink), Necas being a turd, Svech needing to step up, Jarvis's contract, Tulsky being a nerd, Daniels being a horrible coach, Skinner, DeAngelo, etc... :naughty:

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
My next project once it cools down is a shed/shop for the bikes. I have about $2k in my main ride (hardtail) but my others are steel 90s/00s frames that just have sentimental value at this point. Looking for my first road bike to add to the collection.
I have a large barn we use for storage. We call it the black hole. A good 25 % is occupied by 6 mountain bikes , boxes of parts and bike tools. I keep thinking I am going to build a trail around the place. I should prob just purge it all.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I have a large barn we use for storage. We call it the black hole. A good 25 % is occupied by 6 mountain bikes , boxes of parts and bike tools. I keep thinking I am going to build a trail around the place. I should prob just purge it all.
You guys do realize this isn’t a bike thread, right?

It’s a food thread.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
So, how do y'all fuel on long rides? Anyone do those fancy gels and whatnot, or do you stick to the classics like bananas and fig newtons?
I did both, depending on distance and pace. Shorter rides ,I did gels . I usually pounded the fig bars and bananas on the century’s .

We keep this up and we will have the perfect country and western song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad