GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So basically you could win all 3 games and just be credited for one win and be the 3rd place team in the pool and have to get a Wildcard spot to advance and hope for a lot of draws in your pool as well?
The saving grace here is the wins they get prevent other teams from acquiring points. Had they made the team forfeit a game or two instead of playing them then deducting points then those teams would have received 3 points in those games and there would have been no way to keep pace with them.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
This is what I believe the rules are. All that really matters right now is getting to the next round. They can move forward if they beat Columbia even with the 6 point deduction, as we would have 3 points (as would Columbia), and the tie breaker vs Columbia (I believe the tie breaker is goal differential, but we would have the tie breaker anyway). Only NZ appears to be out of the next round, unless they upset France and do so with a lopsided score, to help with their goal differential (-3 right now).

Now, if we lose to Columbia, we will need to have our punishment reduced to 3 points, and hope NZ upsets France to be 2nd and get through for sure, as we would be tied with France and NZ but would still have the goal differential tie-breaker. I'm not confident that the IOC would change their ruling if it meant the host nation doesn't go through to the next round.

We could still get through if we finish in 3rd place in the pool as well, which again, would rely on our having our 6 point penalty reduced to 3. The top two of the three 3rd place teams get through to the knockout round. Right now, that's Australia, Brazil and Canada have the 3rd place spots in each division, although we are down on points, so we need that penalty reduction to be considered. If we got the reduction, we would be ahead of both Australia (GD -2) and Brazil (GD 0) - although the third place teams could still change in those pools. If Australia beats Zambia and Germany loses to the US, then Germany is 3rd (current GD is 0). Either Brazil or Japan could end up 3rd, as they are tied in points, but their last game is head to head, so that game will determine who is 2nd and who is 3rd. Both squads have a goal differential of 0 right now.

Summary
1) We beat Columbia and we make it through regardless.
2) We lose to Columbia and receive point penalty reduction from 6 to 3, we can finish 2nd in the pool only if NZ beats France.
3) We lose to Columbia and receive a point penalty reduction from 6 to 3, we are likely (not guaranteed, but probable) to finish with one of the "Wild Card" spots ahead of the loser of Brazil/Japan even if France beats NZ.

Colombia*

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Canada appealed the 6 point deduction. My guess is it gets reduced to a 3 point deduction.
There is no way this is going to happen.

Any final decision on point reduction had to be made before the second round of games were played because the other teams in the group needed to know what they needed to do to advance before they were played. To announce a 6 point deduction to Canada and then change it after the games are played would be a punishment to the other teams in the group through no fault of their own. As I said in a previous post, I find it easier to envision a scenario where the punishment to Canada is increased upon appeal because the original one might not be severe enough to end their tournament when it likely should have been enough.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Any final decision on point reduction had to be made before the second round of games were played because the other teams in the group needed to know what they needed to do to advance before they were played. To announce a 6 point deduction to Canada and then change it after the games are played would be a punishment to the other teams in the group through no fault of their own. As I said in a previous post, I find it easier to envision a scenario where the punishment to Canada is increased upon appeal because the original one might not be severe enough to end their tournament when it likely should have been enough.
They’re planning to announce the decision before the third round of games. That should be fair.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
But it just reduces the available margin of error i.e. losses they can have then, correct?
The tournament starts off with a round robin with three other teams. They have to fish first or second or sometimes third to advance to the knockout stage. Once past the round robin there is no further point deduction however fifa usually gets what they want.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Another Summer Games where it looks like Canada is going to overperform expectations. This is so much more impressive, again it should be stated, than anything we've ever done in any Winter Olympics.

Summer should contend for, and likely win Gold in both the 200 IM and 200 Fly.
Liendo should push Dressel for Gold and nab a podium in the 100 Fly.
Arop is favored for Gold in the 800m for Track.
Warner is favored to repeat for Gold in the Decathlon. LePage should make it a 1-2 finish.
And I don't follow Breaking too much but IIRC Kim is a heavy fav for Gold there.

So the potential for 7 Gold medals isn't farfetched.

Other potential medals with DeGrasse, the 4x100 men's relay team, men and women's hammer throw, shot put, Vincent in her 2 canoe events, synchronized swimming and a couple more judo classes.

Forgetting a few (maybe swimming relay teams, the women's 8 in rowing, men's basketball, rugby 7's with our women in the SF) but we could conceivably hit 25 medals and 7 Gold's. The surprises in 10m Synchro Diving and Fencing are bonuses nobody was expecting.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I don't think they make it more severe, but I do agree that they aren't likely to change it, especially as changing it will likely bump out the host nations team. I would hope politics wouldn't get into play here, but its the IOC so we know it will - but the teams it could affect moving to the next round are France (as it could put us ahead of them in group A, and Germany, Brazil, Australia and Japan, as they fight for the two 3rd place spots. So three football powerhouses in France, Germany and Brazil, and I don't think the IOC makes a reversal on their decision that could benefit Canada and hurt France, Germany or Brazil.

At this point, we just need to hope for a win against Colombia, as that's really the only way we get in for sure.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Another Summer Games where it looks like Canada is going to overperform expectations. This is so much more impressive, again it should be stated, than anything we've ever done in any Winter Olympics.

Summer should contend for, and likely win Gold in both the 200 IM and 200 Fly.
Liendo should push Dressel for Gold and nab a podium in the 100 Fly.
Arop is favored for Gold in the 800m for Track.
Warner is favored to repeat for Gold in the Decathlon. LePage should make it a 1-2 finish.
And I don't follow Breaking too much but IIRC Kim is a heavy fav for Gold there.

So the potential for 7 Gold medals isn't farfetched.

Other potential medals with DeGrasse, the 4x100 men's relay team, men and women's hammer throw, shot put, Vincent in her 2 canoe events, synchronized swimming and a couple more judo classes.

Forgetting a few (maybe swimming relay teams, the women's 8 in rowing, men's basketball, rugby 7's with our women in the SF) but we could conceivably hit 25 medals and 7 Gold's. The surprises in 10m Synchro Diving and Fencing are bonuses nobody was expecting.
Women's 3 on 3 basketball are apparently pretty good. Couple local girls I believe.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think they make it more severe, but I do agree that they aren't likely to change it, especially as changing it will likely bump out the host nations team. I would hope politics wouldn't get into play here, but its the IOC so we know it will - but the teams it could affect moving to the next round are France (as it could put us ahead of them in group A, and Germany, Brazil, Australia and Japan, as they fight for the two 3rd place spots. So three football powerhouses in France, Germany and Brazil, and I don't think the IOC makes a reversal on their decision that could benefit Canada and hurt France, Germany or Brazil.

At this point, we just need to hope for a win against Colombia, as that's really the only way we get in for sure.
I don’t really think they’re going to increase the punishment either. I just think that’s a likelier scenario than reducing it. I expect them to leave it as is. You’ve perfectly illustrated the reasons why they wouldn’t reduce it. Canada may have launched an appeal into this punishment but there’s no reason to think FIFA is going to agree with them so soon after making their original decision.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don’t really think they’re going to increase the punishment either. I just think that’s a likelier scenario than reducing it. I expect them to leave it as is. You’ve perfectly illustrated the reasons why they wouldn’t reduce it. Canada may have launched an appeal into this punishment but there’s no reason to think FIFA is going to agree with them so soon after making their original decision.
It’s not going to FIFA though. It’s going to CAS.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Between Oleksiak getting older/injured and Mac Neil not looking herself (she just scratched herself from the 100m freestyle semis), Canadian women's swimming will increasingly rely on McIntosh for success.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad