Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
They're probably not even going to be a playoff team. Get real.

The rebuild and HuGo look to have done good work thus far but there's nothing boast about just yet and calling the Flyers are dump while we've been in the basement for years is comical. Don't be a Sens fan.
I am saying Flyers will stagnate or sink while the Habs are on the way up. And that is obvious. No one said they are a playoff team but they should contend for a spot. Flyers aren't likely to challenge for a playoff spot.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Figgzfood

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Normally yes, but Caufield has been used in the Bumper before. I'm assuming that will be tried

The U.S. junior team were the tools that used him there and it is a poor fit as he is too easily bumped off of the puck. Montreal will ice two strong pp units that feature Laine and Caufield manning the left dot imo. They likely keep the first unit of Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Newhook and Matheson. Adding Dach, Laine and Hutson to the second unit with two of Armia/Roy/Dvorak/Gallagher is a huge improvement and gives the Habs two units that will compete for usage.

What other team was able to add players of the same offensive calibre as Laine, Dach and Hutson to their 2nd unit......? I am going to guess that there isn't one.

If Laine has his head on straight in Montreal, the Habs might really surprise the entire league this season.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
They're probably not even going to be a playoff team. Get real.

The rebuild and HuGo look to have done good work thus far but there's nothing boast about just yet and calling the Flyers are dump while we've been in the basement for years is comical. Don't be a Sens fan.

Totally correct.

But just the fact that you said "probably" is an improvement over the last few years..

Cause back then the "probably" wasn't even there, it was more like:

"They're not even going to be a playoff team."

Reactions: HabsQC

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 12.16.49 PM.png

Puckpedia's cap relief calculator values dumping Laine's contract at a 12th overall pick. Columbus did it for a 2nd, and they got back a player who was likely worth a mid or late round pick.

You obviously have to use critical thinking, because all $17.4M of Laine's hit is not negative value.

I would have done this in Montreal's shoes, because his ceiling is so high - but the way I have seen this trade characterized is that Montreal got Laine "for nothing". That's not the case. The opportunity cost of acquiring Laine was relatively high. They sold 17.4M of cap space at a massive discount. That is cap space that could have been used to accrue additional assets, or acquire more suitable players. Cap is an asset, just like players or draft picks.

If they traded a 1st for Laine, people wouldn't say "they got him for nothing", that's basically what they traded for him here.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
View attachment 905786

Puckpedia's cap relief calculator values dumping Laine's contract at a 12th overall pick. Columbus did it for a 2nd, and they got back a player who was likely worth a mid or late round pick.

You obviously have to use critical thinking, because all $17.4M of Laine's hit is not negative value.

I would have done this in Montreal's shoes, because his ceiling is so high - but the way I have seen this trade characterized is that Montreal got Laine "for nothing". That's not the case. The opportunity cost of acquiring Laine was relatively high. They sold 17.4M of cap space at a massive discount. That is cap space that could have been used to accrue additional assets, or acquire more suitable players. Cap is an asset, just like players or draft picks.

If they traded a 1st for Laine, people wouldn't say "they got him for nothing", that's basically what they traded for him here.
Gallagher is a cap dump. 26 year old Laine playing 2nd line and 1st PP unit and has the potential to score 35+ goals is not a cap dump hence the difference in "your calculator" and what Hughes did. If Laine did not request a trade he would be playing first line in CBJ.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
The U.S. junior team were the tools that used him there and it is a poor fit as he is too easily bumped off of the puck. Montreal will ice two strong pp units that feature Laine and Caufield manning the left dot imo. They likely keep the first unit of Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Newhook and Matheson. Adding Dach, Laine and Hutson to the second unit with two of Armia/Roy/Dvorak/Gallagher is a huge improvement and gives the Habs two units that will compete for usage.

What other team was able to add players of the same offensive calibre as Laine, Dach and Hutson to their 2nd unit......? I am going to guess that there isn't one.

If Laine has his head on straight in Montreal, the Habs might really surprise the entire league this season.
If the Habs don't have Laine on PP1 they are brain dead and MSL should be fired. They are going to pay him that monster contract and then not use him for what he is best at? I wish.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If the Habs don't have Laine on PP1 they are brain dead and MSL should be fired. They are going to pay him that monster contract and then not use him for what he is best at? I wish.

Look at you throwing around "Brain Dead"......

Laine has one spot on the PP and that is the same place that Caufield plays. It is very possible and maybe even likely that MSL keeps Caufield with Suzuki and Slaf on the first unit due to them being linemates and keeping their icetime consistent. The same would apply with Dach and Laine. Just because you don't understand the nuances of PP construction does not mean that anyone who disagrees with you is "brain dead"......it means that you should tread carefully around topics you don't understand.

Having Dach, Laine and Hutson on the same unit is hardly a throw away 2nd unit.....it will compete with the Suzuki unit for PP1 designation.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Who knows what will happen in the future. You might have a fantastic second line. Or maybe Dach, Newhook, and Laine will combine for about 70 games played. We have no idea.

A lot of great players have found success under Torts. If Michkov fans are right about Michkov then he won't have any problem, because Torts lets great players do what they have to do.

I'm personally agnostic about how these two teams will be next year, but it's obvious if a Habs fan is saying they're not a shitshow but the Flyers are, that you've got someone reading their own hype machine and haven't checked in with reality in the last year or so.
I rather don't understand how anyone can insult the other team.

No one knows what Laine and Torts relationship really is. Also the reason why Philly is on the no-trade list. And there's no need to make a monster out of Torts. He's a great coach, he has a fair approach to the players.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Gallagher is a cap dump. 26 year old Laine playing 2nd line and 1st PP unit and has the potential to score 35+ goals is not a cap dump hence the difference in "your calculator" and what Hughes did. If Laine did not request a trade he would be playing first line in CBJ.

That's simply not reality when they had to package a 2nd to get rid of him.

The league is such a way now that a player doesn't have to be David Clarkson to be a negative value cap dump.

It's perfectly fair to characterize this as a risk by Montreal.

Reactions: thebus88

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
View attachment 905786

Reads like cope.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I said that I would have made the trade in Montreal's shoes.

Yeah, I get it, it's just that there's no risk to Montreal at all. They have the space, won't be blocked from making other moves and are a rich franchise. And while the calculator may give you a pure number, I don't think there is a universe where a team would ever have to pay a 12th overall to get rid of Laine. Look at what Los Angeles and Dubois, whose contract is far, far worse (with less upside) than Laine's.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Yeah, I get it, it's just that there's no risk to Montreal at all. They have the space, won't be blocked from making other moves and are a rich franchise. And while the calculator may give you a pure number, I don't think there is a universe where a team would ever have to pay a 12th overall to get rid of Laine. Look at what Los Angeles and Dubois, whose contract is far, far worse (with less upside) than Laine's.

There is risk. Re: opportunity cost.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
View attachment 905786

Puckpedia's cap relief calculator values dumping Laine's contract at a 12th overall pick.

Then why did you use a cap relief calculator for a player who has barely played due to injury in the last few years?

That's what's going to determine his "value", not some calculator basing it's evaluation on the fact he played 18 games last year :rolleyes:

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Look at you throwing around "Brain Dead"......

Laine has one spot on the PP and that is the same place that Caufield plays. It is very possible and maybe even likely that MSL keeps Caufield with Suzuki and Slaf on the first unit due to them being linemates and keeping their icetime consistent. The same would apply with Dach and Laine. Just because you don't understand the nuances of PP construction does not mean that anyone who disagrees with you is "brain dead"......it means that you should tread carefully around topics you don't understand.

Having Dach, Laine and Hutson on the same unit is hardly a throw away 2nd unit.....it will compete with the Suzuki unit for PP1 designation.
Laine is far superior to Caufield on the PP. There are a lot of questions about Laine but this isnt one of them. But I truly hope you get your wish and they put Laine on PP2.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
That's simply not reality when they had to package a 2nd to get rid of him.

The league is such a way now that a player doesn't have to be David Clarkson to be a negative value cap dump.

It's perfectly fair to characterize this as a risk by Montreal.
Yes a 2nd but not a 12th OA. If he was a dump then that theoretically would have been the price. Rewind to last summer and suggest Harris for Laine and a 2nd and you would have laughed aggressively off the board with prejudice. His wanting a trade affected his value as few teams had the cap space plus it got complicated with his NMC. Did he have negative value?...yes because of circumstances but was he a cap dump? No and we will know the answer in a few months! Stay tuned!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The risk with Laine extends beyond his cap hit and production into what he might do in that locker room. While I don't think the risk is high, it isn't true that there is zero risk. He could always go off the deep end and become toxic to be around.

Reactions: thebus88

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The risk with Laine extends beyond his cap hit and production into what he might do in that locker room. While I don't think the risk is high, it isn't true that there is zero risk. He could always go off the deep end and become toxic to be around.
Laine looks to have an odd personality with a fragile ego. Not exactly a recipe for success. He looks like the kind of guy who is super awkward and doesn’t know how to make friends.

His mental health break might have been a blessing for him and everyone who will be around him for the rest of his life. I bet he learned to accept his personality and learned how to deal with being a bit of an odd duck over there. I just don’t think he’s a bad person and bad influence

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Laine’s usage and the amount of ice time he gets, partly due to his contract and his own personal opinions on what he’s deserved, is the main aspect and reason that he is a “cap dump” and a negative asset to an NHL hockey team.

How does Laine handle other younger -BETTER- players getting ice time and opportunities over him?? The CBJ team is a better hockey team by simply giving Yegor Chinakhov every minute/opportunity and SHOT, that Laine has been given, and taken the last few years.

Both of the current CBJ or MTL teams are bad teams for Laine. He would only flourish on a team already established and built properly and with extreme depth, just needing an extra scoring boost, that could withstand the negative aspects he brings to the ice and locker room. Problem is that his cap hit makes him impossible to fit on any of these teams. How will/would Laine handle being on the 2nd line/PP unit, even if that’s where he deserves to be? He’s closer to a 3rd line player than he is a 1st line player, IMO.

Ok, hypothetical situation, I know, let’s just say Laine doesn’t play good to start the year and Montreal is losing games and Laine comes out with some questionable comments to Montreal media??

Like, you guys understand this isn’t fantasy hockey right?? It’s much more complex and nuanced than just looking at the points, as if it’s either simply an added 30-40 goals, and/or without them there’s no possible negative impact on the team, or other players.

I’ve literally had to battle with a huge CBJ fan contingent the last few years who looked at things the same way, BLINDED by Laine’s admittedly good shot and overall the concept of “skill”, while at the same time being completely NAIVE to the negativity he can, and what has now been proven, HE WAS BRINGING to the CBJ locker room.

$8.7 million dollar headache.

Chinakhov with more goals this year, and every year moving forward.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad