Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Yes, he most definitely is.
I mean... not really. 9.5M is full UFA "#1D" salary. That's what Darnell Nurse, Zach Werenski, Seth Jones all got. He's got RFA years being bought out. He's not worth that. I mean, 6x9 was Cale Makar with a similar amount of RFA years remaining.

It is wild how people don't get RFA comps.

9M is an overpay for Mo Seider. You can be okay with the overpay to just have it done, but at current 8x9 would be a very strong overpay not supported by a whole lot and it would be a panic move.

Raymond's cap on his potential salary is Tim Stutzle's deal. And he's going to sign for less than that, because he's not a Center and he doesn't have as many points.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
The paid SJ a 2nd round pick to TAKE Walman. If not for all the bad deals, his contract likely wouldn't have been bad enough to jettison and give something up. So damn stupid. But its like here at work, managers make a bad hire and keep them, instead of admitting they made a mistake and getting rid of the bad hire. It's the same with these bad signings.

Would you approve of that?

I'm confused here. Walman was a bad signing and they didn't keep him. Yeah, they had to pay to move the deal (which sucked), but they cleared one of the dead weight contracts that everyone would be mad about. Oh wait, Walman can dance before he gives the puck away so his bad contract is okay.

They traded him to make FA period feasible. They were seriously in on Stammer, but when the Nashville deal came through, it was obvious the Wings would have to sell more to fit him in and it didn't make sense at that point. They got rid of Walman and not someone else because Walman burned his bridge in Detroit.

Reactions: 13to40

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean... not really. 9.5M is full UFA "#1D" salary. That's what Darnell Nurse, Zach Werenski, Seth Jones all got. He's got RFA years being bought out. He's not worth that. I mean, 6x9 was Cale Makar with a similar amount of RFA years remaining.

9M is an overpay for Mo Seider. You can be okay with the overpay to just have it done, but at current 8x9 would be a very strong overpay not supported by a whole lot and it would be a panic move.

Raymond's cap on his potential salary is Tim Stutzle's deal. And he's going to sign for less than that, because he's not a Center and he doesn't have as many points.
Bingo.

I'm confused here. Walman was a bad signing and they didn't keep him. Yeah, they had to pay to move the deal (which sucked), but they cleared one of the dead weight contracts that everyone would be mad about. Oh wait, Walman can dance before he gives the puck away so his bad contract is okay.

They traded him to make FA period feasible. They were seriously in on Stammer, but when the Nashville deal came through, it was obvious the Wings would have to sell more to fit him in and it didn't make sense at that point. They got rid of Walman and not someone else because Walman burned his bridge in Detroit.
You're reaching... HARD

DougBodger

Sep 24, 2023
How did Walman "burn his bridge in Detroit?"

He signed the deal offered to him by Yzerman and was traded with an asset so Yzerman could get out of the deal he agreed to with Walman.

If anything, Yzerman burned his bridge with Walman.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Well first of all the guy said 9M, not 9.5M. Not a huge difference but it matters. And you're using deals signed years ago to justify the value of a deal being signed in 2024. Brock Faber just got 8.5M on an 8yr deal. Maybe you just have an outdated idea of where the market is.

To me, the 25 minute/game all-situations #1 dman carrying the rest of the D corps on his shoulders is worth 9M a year. Even today. And that deal gets better and better with each passing year too.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Was Necas signing the one we were waiting for to compare to Raymond? Seems like this will only help speed up things...or not. Who cares. Ray and Mo will be in Detroit for a long time.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
How did Walman "burn his bridge in Detroit?"

He signed the deal offered to him by Yzerman and was traded with an asset so Yzerman could get out of the deal he agreed to with Walman.

If anything, Yzerman burned his bridge with Walman.
An ex-teammate last season had made a comment about how one of the D-men who played mostly with Seider when healthy was stirring the pot in the locker room.

Same player who said the leadership was an issue right around when the team went on a huge skid last season.

So no I don’t think Yzerman burned the bridge, I think Walman was No longer welcomed on the team hence why he had an asset attached to him, to ensure he was moved far away.

I also hope that by giving SJ a second, hopefully it’s to also entice them on taking Holl when he’s waved to start the season. (This is just me speculating with probably too much hope)

Well first of all the guy said 9M, not 9.5M. Not a huge difference but it matters. And you're using deals signed years ago to justify the value of a deal being signed in 2024. Brock Faber just got 8.5M on an 8yr deal. Maybe you just have an outdated idea of where the market is.

To me, the 25 minute/game all-situations #1 dman carrying the rest of the D corps on his shoulders is worth 9M a year. Even today. And that deal gets better and better with each passing year too.
I would be ecstatic if Seider gets the same contract as Faber.

If Mo is to sign long term, I believe the AAV is north of 9.

If it’s short term; bridge deal: I could see 6-7M over 2-3 years.

Same goes for Raymond.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
As a Habs fan I haven’t followed it as closely as my own team. What was the deal with Walman?
No one knows as Yzerman is very tight lipped with few leaks. Only things we have are rumours of him being cleared to play after he was injured but apparently electing to hold himself out of the lineup a little bit longer. Also when he was scratched a little bit later, Lalonde made some comment about "him not being himself", but no one knows what he meant by that.
Not more than a handful of days after the season ending a poster on a Red Wings sub-Reddit mentioned of knowing a current Red Wings player (no names mentioned) and that during Larkin's late season injury and team slide that Walman apparently was a divisive presence in the locker room.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Not more than a handful of days after the season ending a poster on a Red Wings sub-Reddit mentioned of knowing a current Red Wings player (no names mentioned) and that during Larkin's late season injury and team slide that Walman apparently was a divisive presence in the locker room.
I find it difficult to believe that there are fans here who don't see that one of the highest priories for Yzerman is the team's character and locker room. Vrana flamed out and had a long "we'll see" evaluation period and was launched. Sprong apparently didn't buy in enough to the "two-way" aspect SY likes. Sat and then gone. Walman getting dumped the way he did means that he obviously did some things that got him on Stevie's extremely no bueno shit list.

It's not that complicated.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Was Necas signing the one we were waiting for to compare to Raymond? Seems like this will only help speed up things...or not. Who cares. Ray and Mo will be in Detroit for a long time.
Seems like a pretty good comparison, especially the point totals the last 3 years (and Necas has a longer resume). 2-3 years around 6.5 would be a good deal. Mittelstadt got 3 years 5.75, so I think Raymond would fall somewhere between 5.75 and 6.5.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not really, no. Jarvis is the Cane that's running parallel with Raymond. Both Ray and Jarvis are a tier above Necas, IMO. They got to Necas' level 3 years younger.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

He only plays 22.5 minutes a night under Lalonde and has 42 pts in each of the last 2 seasons, plus 50 his first season, that is not 9 million worth today. That is 7 or so, the rest is for what you hope he will become. Makar currently makes 9 mil a season and he had more than double the pts of Mo and played more per night. Mo was 31st in D pts this past season which is good, not 9 mil worth. I love Seider and am fine if he gets 8-9 a year right now, but that is with the hope he becomes a 24-25 minutes a night guy with 50pts+ every season and stellar defence.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He only plays 22.5 minutes a night under Lalonde and has 42 pts in each of the last 2 seasons, plus 50 his first season, that is not 9 million worth today. That is 7 or so, the rest is for what you hope he will become. Makar currently makes 9 mil a season and he had more than double the pts of Mo and played more per night. Mo was 31st in D pts this past season which is good, not 9 mil worth. I love Seider and am fine if he gets 8-9 a year right now, but that is with the hope he becomes a 24-25 minutes a night guy with 50pts+ every season and stellar defence.
Might I remind you that Hronek just signed for $7.25M?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Faber just signed 8x8.5
Owen Power signed for 7x8.35
Miro Heiskanen signed for 8x8.45
Jake Sanderson signed 8x8.05

Seider is better than all of them except Heiskanen, though I think he could become as good or better. And Mo has played with partners that are worse than all of their partners.

If anything, this delay is making me think Yzerman is f***ing up by not having Mo signed to 8x8.5 right now. Faber signing to that deal is going to make me think Mo is pointing at it and saying "I want more."

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Makar signed that 6 year contract in 2021. If we want to sign Seider to an 8 year contract in 2024, what Makar makes is, unfortunately, not very relevant.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Might I remind you that Hronek just signed for $7.25M?

Might I remind you that he is overpaid and is basically UFA for most of those years, so not the same thing at all. Nurse also gets 9+ so others contracts mean nothing.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Might I remind you that he is overpaid and is basically UFA for most of those years, so not the same thing at all. Nurse also gets 9+ so others contracts mean nothing.
If a bunch of guys are overpaid, that just means that's what those kind of guys get paid. More accurate to state that the handful of good deals are the outliers as being underpaid.

Sanderson, Power, Faber. None of these guys have Mo's record to date, all signing north of $8M. Like it or not, that's the market. Not whatever it is you think kids of that caliber should make.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Faber just signed 8x8.5
Owen Power signed for 7x8.35
Miro Heiskanen signed for 8x8.45
Jake Sanderson signed 8x8.05

Seider is better than all of them except Heiskanen, though I think he could become as good or better. And Mo has played with partners that are worse than all of their partners.

If anything, this delay is making me think Yzerman is f***ing up by not having Mo signed to 8x8.5 right now. Faber signing to that deal is going to make me think Mo is pointing at it and saying "I want more."

I am not saying Seider shouldn't get that, but Power and Sanderson also aren't yet worth their deals. If 9 mil gets you 42 pts and only 23 a night that is a stiff overpay. We will give Seider the money because we hope he gets better.

If Seider stays what he is, I can't be the only one that would be disappointed at 8+ mil a year for that. I think Seider will get there, but he isn't in the 9 mil category yet.

When you spend big money on a defender they need to be playing at least 24 a night in all situations.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If a bunch of guys are overpaid, that just means that's what those kind of guys get paid. More accurate to state that the handful of good deals are the outliers as being underpaid.

Sanderson, Power, Faber. None of these guys have Mo's record to date, all signing north of $8M. Like it or not, that's the market. Not whatever it is you think kids of that caliber should make.

Did I say Seider shouldn't get that money? No, I did not! I said he currently isn't worth the current money, and neither are the other youngsters learning their way in the NHL. Minnesota is also taking a massive risk that Faber isn't a flash in the pan with only one season under his belt. Not saying he is, but lots of defenders have awesome rookie seasons and then never improve ala guys like Barrett Jackman who won the Calder but was then only a decent defender after that.

I would have given Seider 8x8.5 in like February, but something tells me Claude is doing anti Wing things and trying to get Seider 10 or something, otherwise why is he not signed yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad