GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think there are clearly times where we've low balled and frustrated guys. And it may well have been the right move in some of those cases. If Guentzel really got offended in this case when it seems like we were right there the whole time and then agreed to meet what he asked for, that's pretty weak on his part. His right, but pretty weak. This didn't really seem to be any kind of insane negotiating on our part. I really do think it came down to a situation/destination he wanted even more came up and he took it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
And a tweet by Friedman is to be taken as Gospel. The same guy that tweeted 24 hours earlier it was a done deal?

If the Canes inform other teams it's a done deal, Friedman isn't supposed to report that? Don't blame the messenger because the Canes jumped the gun
Meh. You're the one who brought up Guentzel today. No other poster did until you did and then in a subsequent post, Friedman's take. If you don't want to re-hash it, that's fine.

I brought up Guentzel in the context of Brindamour's interview and his implication that we might have been able to sign other players if we hadn't held money for Jake.

So much for not wanting to re-hash it.

It takes 2 to tango

• Haha
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/56...ts-coaching-search/?source=emp_shared_article

This has turned into an interesting story for Waddell in Columbus. It seems he wanted McLellan to be the coach but wasn't able to negotiate what the Kings would pay versus what the Jackets would pay. Likely dead for now as a possibility for coach but could be revisited. Seems like something people would have freaked out about in a Canes context.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Sounds like a bridge is still on the table for Jarvis based on Tulsky’s comments on Sirius today. He said either way - long term deal or a bridge- he will be a Cane for a long time. Said details are still being worked out.

Mentioned that he expects to be busy over the summer on finishing the roster and reviewing possibilities.

The Jarvis contract is likely tied to what the Necas outcome, and its resulting cap hit, is going to be.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the Guentzel debate doesn’t get anywhere. We are never going to know his true intentions and if he truly would’ve chosen us over someone else. I think it’s fair to say we stayed on the low side of money which is our wont, and while it probably didn’t help it may not have hurt if he never really planned on staying. I think arguments on Dundon and his tactics are probably wasted on Guentzel, which was always a loaded situation. I think the best thing taken from it is the overall experience of dealing with a high end rental. I do think we saved money for Guentzel that we would’ve (and eventually did) spent elsewhere, and I do think we probably would’ve kept one of Pesce or Skjei. It’s not that easy to just attach blame for that on Dundon’s tactics. I think that’s a Borg decision to prioritize Guentzel over one of the defenseman. If Jake had stayed we’d probably all accept that.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sounds like a bridge is still on the table for Jarvis based on Tulsky’s comments on Sirius today. He said either way - long term deal or a bridge- he will be a Cane for a long time. Said details are still being worked out.

Mentioned that he expects to be busy over the summer on finishing the roster and reviewing possibilities.
I'm more hesitant than most to just hand out 8 year deals to anyone when they first come up. Jarvis is one of the exceptions, but if they think it makes sense to keep some flexibility open with a bridge right now, it doesn't really bother me.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm more hesitant than most to just hand out 8 year deals to anyone when they first come up. Jarvis is one of the exceptions, but if they think it makes sense to keep some flexibility open with a bridge right now, it doesn't really bother me.
He might also be looking to bet on himself with the rising cap...take a 2-4 yr bridge and he can probably ask $10M/yr x 8yr contract after vs a $7.5M/yr now

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Well, I'm glad to hear any Jarvis news, because I'm pretty sure if we lost Jarvis in addition to the rest of the players that walked this off-season, RBA would probably void his own newly signed contract.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Well, I'm glad to hear any Jarvis news, because I'm pretty sure if we lost Jarvis in addition to the rest of the players that walked this off-season, RBA would probably void his own newly signed contract.
"Yeah I'm gonna plead a force majors on you at this point."
"Force majors? On what grounds?"

1720720367995.png

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I think there are clearly times where we've low balled and frustrated guys. And it may well have been the right move in some of those cases. If Guentzel really got offended in this case when it seems like we were right there the whole time and then agreed to meet what he asked for, that's pretty weak on his part. His right, but pretty weak. This didn't really seem to be any kind of insane negotiating on our part. I really do think it came down to a situation/destination he wanted even more came up and he took it.
Guentzel probably was a case of choice - but how many guys does Carolina lose before they stop playing hardball on every deal?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I forget how he phrased the last part of the sentence but he used the words “not like” I thought.
As you also intimated, there probably was a bit of the "waiting for Guentzel" piece in that. Rod probably would have wanted us make sure the defense was solid regardless of what Guentzel did. That's sort of how I read in between the lines on that one.
His comments and the way he says them go along with comments Bettman has said about TD. You don’t get the sense he’s easy to deal with. I’m not trying to create a conspiracy or make a big deal about TD.
And I'm fine with that because he's been instrumental in funding a very competitive, high-caliber team. If his negotiation antics are sometimes a barrier, I'm one to take the good with the bad. My sense is Dougie wasn't worth his ask. We didn't lowball anything with regard to the Pettersson or Tkuchuk trades. And the money was right there on the Guentzel deal....whether the timing or whether Jake just wanted to go somewhere else is still an open question IMO.
The Jarvis contract is likely tied to what the Necas outcome, and its resulting cap hit, is going to be.
I'm sure mgt. always thought Necas was going to take us to arbitration. Once they exhausted all current trade options for Marty, they knew they'd be waiting until after the award before finalizing Jarvis. I'm sure they've discussed with Jarvis the pros and cons of having him wait as well.
Guentzel probably was a case of choice - but how many guys does Carolina lose before they stop playing hardball on every deal?
As many as it takes to make the playoffs six years in a row, win a round six years in a row, and get to the ECF twice in the same time period. The more bites at the apple you have the better the chances of getting the ultimate prize.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I doubt they ever will. I think you have to go back to when Dundon first took over. He commented how he didn't want to be a team that gives guys their 2nd "Big deal" (ie..in their late 20s early 30s) unless they were a core guy. So far, he's been true to that by keeping Aho and Slavin, and letting other guys walk. Unless it comes back to bite the team in the ass, he'll likely keep to that strategy.

This year was probably always going to be a bit of a step back due to all the UFAs so even if their play dips this year, I doubt he'll look at it as a failure because a bit of a reset was probably expected to him.

Look at the poll we did in June. Majority of posters expected Skjei, Pesce, Guentzel, Noesen, TT, and Necas wouldn't be back. Other than Necas, who is still up in the air, what happen is what the majority predicted back in early June.

The players that the majority of posters though would be back?

Comtois: 51%
Drury: 82% (TBD but likely)
Jarvis: 98% (TBD but likely)
Martinook: 71%
Chatfield: 67%

So other than Comtois who was just over 50%, the players that are back or likely to be back are the players the majority of posters thought would be back.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
So how confident are people here that Kuzy can replace Turbos offensive numbers this season?

Or maybe does Kuzy+Roslivic = Turbo+Noesen?
I'm fairly confident that there's 80 points between those two, if indeed Kuzy is still on the team and takes the 2c slot. I'm not confident of either of those particular outcomes. Personally, I think Rod would like KK to retake that slot.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
As many as it takes to make the playoffs six years in a row, win a round six years in a row, and get to the ECF twice in the same time period. The more bites at the apple you have the better the chances of getting the ultimate prize.
Consistent success is great but teams dont just get over the hump by consistently replacing talent with internal options and cheaper outside options

At some point its simply a matter of 'you get what you pay for' - and that goes for both the contracts they sign and the assets they use (or dont)

Nikishin will be a huge add someday.. and then who? Not everyone is going to take Slavin contracts nor be as cheap as acquiring Burns

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Consistent success is great but teams dont just get over the hump by consistently replacing talent with internal options and cheaper outside options

At some point its simply a matter of 'you get what you pay for' - and that goes for both the contracts they sign and the assets they use (or dont)

Nikishin will be a huge add someday.. and then who? Not everyone is going to take Slavin contracts nor be as cheap as acquiring Burns
I couldn’t agree more.

Nice

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

• Haha
Reactions: bleedgreen

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I doubt they ever will. I think you have to go back to when Dundon first took over. He commented how he didn't want to be a team that gives guys their 2nd "Big deal" (ie..in their late 20s early 30s) unless they were a core guy. So far, he's been true to that by keeping Aho and Slavin, and letting other guys walk. Unless it comes back to bite the team in the ass, he'll likely keep to that strategy.

This year was probably always going to be a bit of a step back due to all the UFAs so even if their play dips this year, I doubt he'll look at it as a failure because a bit of a reset was probably expected to him.

Look at the poll we did in June. Majority of posters expected Skjei, Pesce, Guentzel, Noesen, TT, and Necas wouldn't be back. Other than Necas, who is still up in the air, what happen is what the majority predicted back in early June.

The players that the majority of posters though would be back?

Comtois: 51%
Drury: 82% (TBD but likely)
Jarvis: 98% (TBD but likely)
Martinook: 71%
Chatfield: 67%

So other than Comtois who was just over 50%, the players that are back or likely to be back are the players the majority of posters thought would be back.

I can respect the desire to not want to give tough UFA deals (and I mean more than just the simple 1yr/1m overpayments) and that is crucial to longterm success under a strict-cap environment

But I dont see the need to be so firm in his ways that hes unwilling to budge - with the rising cap and always a new set of draft picks down the line, moving contracts with term is easier than ever.

Hopefully for Carolina that can sway him a bit because I feel yall would have a Cup already if he was just a bit more brazen

I couldn’t agree more.

Nice
But you do want a Cup too

Lmfao

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can respect the desire to not want to give tough UFA deals (and I mean more than just the simple 1yr/1m overpayments) and that is crucial to longterm success under a strict-cap environment

But I dont see the need to be so firm in his ways that hes unwilling to budge - with the rising cap and always a new set of draft picks down the line, moving contracts with term is easier than ever.
Easy to say when it's not your money.
Hopefully for Carolina that can sway him a bit because I feel yall would have a Cup already if he was just a bit more brazen
You mean we might have had a cup if he was brazen enough to have a team that had kept some of Guentzel, TT, Noesen, Skjei and Pesce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad