GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Consistent success is great but teams dont just get over the hump by consistently replacing talent with internal options and cheaper outside options

At some point its simply a matter of 'you get what you pay for' - and that goes for both the contracts they sign and the assets they use (or dont)

Nikishin will be a huge add someday.. and then who? Not everyone is going to take Slavin contracts nor be as cheap as acquiring Burns
The Hurricanes have something like 16 of their recent draft picks signed ELCs or in Suzuki's case, a 1 year RFA deal. I would bet that 2/3 to 3/4 of those guys are either on the big club roster or playing for our AHL affiliate in Chicago.

The Hurricanes model since Dundon took over has been to take swings at boom or bust guys for the most part. It is playing out the way the team apparently wants. Nadeau, Morrow, likely Suzuki, maybe Blake, Trikozov, and possibly Legault all may see NHL time this season. We let our guys marinate and develop and don't force them too soon.

That is our recipe and seemingly it is coming to fruition at the right time given our loss of guys in UFA.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Gold thinks Necas is back. To fit Jarvy, Necas, and Drury he thinks Kuzy gets moved out.

Or if they can't move Kuznetsov, settling arbitration with Necas opens a second buyout window where they could buy out Kotkaniemi to make space.

I don't think it's how they want to do it, but if they can't move Kuznetsov or Kotkaniemi it's an option.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I have a funny feeling Fast will be LTIRed
My sense is that they hold off on that as long as possible in the hopes of staying under the cap and are able to accrue cap space for TDL transaction(s).
Or if they can't move Kuznetsov, settling arbitration with Necas opens a second buyout window where they could buy out Kotkaniemi to make space.

I don't think it's how they want to do it, but if they can't move Kuznetsov or Kotkaniemi it's an option.
Why not buy out Kuzy? Save $1.9 million this year. The hit is only $2 million in 24-25 and $2 million in 25-26 when we'll likely have a shit load of cap space.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
My sense is that they hold off on that as long as possible in the hopes of staying under the cap and are able to accrue cap space for TDL transaction(s).

Why not buy out Kuzy? Save $1.9 million this year. The hit is only $2 million in 24-25 and $2 million in 25-26 when we'll likely have a shit load of cap space.
Because you could save $4M by buying out Kotkaniemi in 24-25, get the same savings in 25-26, and the penalty long-term is only $835K a year instead of $2M.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

Kuzy could still come into camp in good shape and be motivated and productive. I’m sure we could dump him with retention and not have him on our books for an extra year if need be.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Help my mind unsee that…

Palate cleansers; you're welcome!

1720807393773.jpeg

cat-dog-friends.jpg

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Gold said and I generally agree there’s very little chance of us buying out Kk. If we can’t trade him we’re going to play him.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Rather see Kokomiami moved.

Kuzy could actually play 2c if the stars align and was a bigger playoff performer.
I think Kokomiami has just as good of a chance to play 2c if the stars align. Kuzy is at the age where career trajectories go downwards. If I were a betting man, I'd take a chance that KK rebounds and has the better year. Plus he can win faceoffs and is better defensively.

If KK fails this year. You send him into the sun via a buyout or trade. Kuzy is gone. $8.7M of cap space frees up to spend on a real 2C.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don't think you can for a full year due to retention?
since washington is doing the retaining we can trade him back to washington because washington didnt gain a cap advantage with the move. Washington would still have 100% of Kuzy's cap hit. its the other way that is an issue.

we couldnt ship off kuzy to say, Anaheim, and then get him back from Anaheim with more retention until 1 year later. I understand he'll be a UFA in a year but you can get the point of what i am trying to say.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Because you could save $4M by buying out Kotkaniemi in 24-25, get the same savings in 25-26, and the penalty long-term is only $835K a year instead of $2M.
I think the retention comment is also good. My buyout thoughts on Kuzy are because we don't need the $4 million in cap space. A couple million would be fine. We don't need the cap space next year either as we'll likely have something like $30 million+ to spend.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
since washington is doing the retaining we can trade him back to washington because washington didnt gain a cap advantage with the move. Washington would still have 100% of Kuzy's cap hit. its the other way that is an issue.

we couldnt ship off kuzy to say, Anaheim, and then get him back from Anaheim with more retention until 1 year later. I understand he'll be a UFA in a year but you can get the point of what i am trying to say.
So he could go back to Washington without any retention, but we couldn't trade him back WITH retention

Reactions: Nikishin Go Boom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad