Confirmed with Link: Steen to be GM in 2026

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Hasn’t Steen been running a team overseas?
Yes, but I think this is overstated. Has he been negotiating contracts with a CBA? It sounds like what he’s been doing is more the logistical side of things in a much smaller scale. Most of that is stuff he’d be delegating here. And the big stuff here is probably not something he has been doing.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Yes, but I think this is overstated. Has he been negotiating contracts with a CBA? It sounds like what he’s been doing is more the logistical side of things in a much smaller scale. Most of that is stuff he’d be delegating here. And the big stuff here is probably not something he has been doing.
This is where Ryan Miller excels.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Which means, since he's done those jobs under him, he has an understanding of how they -really- work and can better manage the team when its time. We all know he has a lot to learn, and Army and Stillman are setting it up so that he will have the support and environment to learn it in and flexibility if it all falls through or goes wrong. This isn't a nepotism hire, they are hiring a guy they know who is respected, has insane hockey IQ and is being brought in after gaining experience running a team overseas. I'm not seeing any negatives here so far. Do you?

In terms of bright ideas, this one might be Army and Stillman's best one.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Which means, since he's done those jobs under him, he has an understanding of how they -really- work and can better manage the team when its time. We all know he has a lot to learn, and Army and Stillman are setting it up so that he will have the support and environment to learn it in and flexibility if it all falls through or goes wrong. This isn't a nepotism hire, they are hiring a guy they know who is respected, has insane hockey IQ and is being brought in after gaining experience running a team overseas. I'm not seeing any negatives here so far. Do you?

In terms of bright ideas, this one might be Army and Stillman's best one.
I'm not down on Steen, but I think too much is being made of him managing a minor league team in Sweden. All experience is good experience, but we're being disingenuous if we pretend this is very similar to an NHL GM role.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm fine with Steen learning before he gets the job. Sounds like we're doing a lot of what Carolina's doing with their brain-trust (Ryan Miller being our cap guy and Tim Taylor doing a lot of scouting for us), and given Carolina's recent success, it's really hard to argue against it.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm not down on Steen, but I think too much is being made of him managing a minor league team in Sweden. All experience is good experience, but we're being disingenuous if we pretend this is very similar to an NHL GM role.

If Steen was being hired today to immediately become the GM, I'm all onboard with you, but he's not.

He's being hired to be trained to become their GM choice in a few years' time. It gives the front office the opportunity to make sure he's the right person for the job before becoming that person. This isn't like plucking a freshly retired player with zero front office XP and giving him the GM title. Steen has some experience and is being offered the opportunity to gain more and down the road become a GM. Given his background and intelligence, I think that's a really good plan and he's a really good choice.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If Steen was being hired today to immediately become the GM, I'm all onboard with you, but he's not.

He's being hired to be trained to become their GM choice in a few years' time. It gives the front office the opportunity to make sure he's the right person for the job before becoming that person. This isn't like plucking a freshly retired player with zero front office XP and giving him the GM title. Steen has some experience and is being offered the opportunity to gain more and down the road become a GM. Given his background and intelligence, I think that's a really good plan and he's a really good choice.
I don’t see how what you just wrote has anything to do with what you quoted from me.

I like the hire too. I don’t think the experience in Sweden is all that significant, and people are distorting the importance of his role there.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Interesting interview w/ Army on the Jeff Marek show earlier this week. The decision to announce Steen as GM-in-waiting was obviously a big part of the convo….

One thing that stood out to me was Armstrong basically saying that Steen has all the qualities Army sees in other successful GMs (names Yzerman and Bob Gainey specifically) and that Steen can gain experience but other people can’t necessarily gain the qualities he does possess.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Interesting interview w/ Army on the Jeff Marek show earlier this week. The decision to announce Steen as GM-in-waiting was obviously a big part of the convo….

One thing that stood out to me was Armstrong basically saying that Steen has all the qualities Army sees in other successful GMs (names Yzerman and Bob Gainey specifically) and that Steen can gain experience but other people can’t necessarily gain the qualities he does possess.
I do find it interesting the way he discusses Buchnevich. Saying we haven't gotten into money, but almost to the point where we are having to sell him on the vision of Army and Steen to see if he'd even be interested in staying. Due to his age, if he wants to win, this decision is going to be very important.

I'm hoping we get some sort of resolution by the draft or at least opening days of free agency. Since we aren't a contender, a bubble playoff team at best, I hope we don't keep him till the deadline hoping that he'll eventually be convinced of the long-term vision.

Reactions: BlueDream

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
I'll wait and see on the Steen hire. Let's see what he can learn before making an assessment. Army being around four more years? Good lord, why.....

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Now Steen can find out why he was passed over for captain twice.

When Armstrong was talking about young players, he talked about his own past, his upbringing, and that he didn't understand the motivation of young people these days.

I'm confident Steen will know about motivation.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
One more point about Steen. Right after we won the Cup, Magnus Paajarvi said that Steen was a tremendous leader and deserved credit for the team's success.
I think literally every teammate he had and member of the organization has said that.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
One more point about Steen. Right after we won the Cup, Magnus Paajarvi said that Steen was a tremendous leader and deserved credit for the team's success.

Everyone knew what kind of leader Steen was. Doesn't really matter if he wore the C or not and I doubt he really cared. No player deserved more credit for what he did off the ice than Steener in his last few years here. I've heard plenty of guys say similar things about Steen like what Paajarvi said.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
So this offer sheet exposure has gotten me thinking. The decision to turn things over to Steen was Army’s way to step aside and get a new perspective for the club’s leadership.

It’s no secret that when Dubas was fired, Army’s name was brought up by the Canadian media and speculation for a while was rampant that maybe he’d be poached by the Leafs. That was quickly shit down, but Army could very likely have expected to become the highest paid GM in the league had he been granted permission (or asked for such) to speak with Shanahan and MLSE.

Now, he’s the talk of the NHL with words like “genius” and “master-class” being thrown around. Every owner in the league is suddenly looking at their own GM and wondering if their guy is a genius too. And in two years Armstrong is suddenly no longer the Blues GM. Sure, he’s staying in the organization initially…but for hiw much longer becomes a reasonable question?

Maybe after having stepped into a different role for a year or two, the competitive urge to build a new team come$ back. Perhaps a deep-pocketed team offers a PoHO/GM role in a historic market at money too good to turn down. I doubt anyone would be surprised to hear that teams like Toronto or NYR might come sniffing around again waiving a fat check and a shot to lead a storied franchise and be given unlimited resources to return them to the promised land.

I’m not suggesting that Army played the offer-sheet cards to make a buzz and line himself up for a big payday in a few years. But if he were actually interested in the Leafs role last year or becoming the highest paid GM in the history of the sport, what better way to have it come to fruition than by resigning from your current gig and doing a mic-drop of such epic proportions? The guy just became every team owners wet dream of a hire. And I for one will NOT be surprised to see him GM-ing another franchise before his official retirement and induction into the HHOF.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Army is already one of the most well respected executives league-wide (he's GM for Team Canada for a reason) and I don't think this changes is value in the eyes of other teams. The Blues are in the perfect position (both cap wise and current roster strategy wise) to pillage and the Oilers are in the perfect position to be pillaged. The move was made because it has a chance to support our retool and improve the team. I think that's what drove the decision to offer sheet Broberg and Holloway. It was a sound strategic move and I don't believe it's some sort of long-term, personally-fueled play by Army to boost his stock, which I don't believe needed boosting in NHL circles.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Agree with Snubbed on how Army us already respected.

And it's not like he snagged Powers and Cozens. We are a middling team who made a great move to grab a couple long-to-medium shots. The Oilers who bumbled this are a better team even if they do not match either. Few owners are looking at the Blues and saying "oh, I wish that was us"

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I respect Army. There isnt another GM who build Cup and tear it apart right after they won cup.

Cup to pretender.

I wonder can we reach to another Cup in 10- year span?

Cup team was build on defence and now we have one the shittiest d-core on NHL.

I wonder when we can next time draft our next franchise RHD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I respect Army. There isnt another GM who build Cup and tear it apart right after they won cup.

Cup to pretender.

I wonder can we reach to another Cup in 10- year span?

Cup team was build on defence and now we have one the shittiest d-core on NHL.

I wonder when we can next time draft our next franchise RHD.
Much better question than the one I used to have, which was: "Will they ever win a Cup in my lifetime?"

You can thank Army for that.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Much better question than the one I used to have, which was: "Will they ever win a Cup in my lifetime?"

You can thank Army for that.
So you can die happy now.

I dont see we can even reach that level in 10 years. We are absolutely really bad position. We remind so much of Minnesota Wild.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What would make you happy, Ranksu?
Build it like you really want to team get better. We ur currently bubble team.

How Army hasvdone now its just meh moves or doesnt Even try to get better. Its more to me like 'eye frost'. Cant draft high enough get really good prospects.

I view that is only way to turn this team contender. IT means few years of be bottom of league. Stack your picks. Couple seasons draft with high picks. We need to get lucky. But we need top 5 picks for find franchise players. I see we lack of real franchise or top2 dmen.

IT means destroy guys like Parayko, Faulk, Krug, Saad, Schenn and even Binny.

We are currently just wasting Thomas and Kyrou prime years to be pretender team.

Fans doesnt like, but how long we need to Be mediocre team to understand this team doesnt get IT done.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00