GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I can respect the desire to not want to give tough UFA deals (and I mean more than just the simple 1yr/1m overpayments) and that is crucial to longterm success under a strict-cap environment

But I dont see the need to be so firm in his ways that hes unwilling to budge - with the rising cap and always a new set of draft picks down the line, moving contracts with term is easier than ever.

Hopefully for Carolina that can sway him a bit because I feel yall would have a Cup already if he was just a bit more brazen

But you do want a Cup too

Lmfao
You win cups by putting yourself in the playoffs over and over hoping to have the right combination of chemistry, luck, health and goaltending. Our step back was visible on the horizon awhile ago. The step back could end up being exactly the thing we needed to step forward. Am I upset we held Jake money aside and lost one of our great defenseman because of it? Yes. I wasn’t a fan of a rental in the first place so I’m someone that misses the prospects and is annoyed when we don’t keep the guy. I also personally would’ve walked away from Jake earlier to prioritize keeping a D. We didn’t have money for everything and I never believed he was staying so I’m personally mildly annoyed about that. That wasn’t being cheap though. I’m actually glad we aren’t paying him for 8 years, I just wish we kept one of the D and didn’t sacrifice that.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I can respect the desire to not want to give tough UFA deals (and I mean more than just the simple 1yr/1m overpayments) and that is crucial to longterm success under a strict-cap environment

But I dont see the need to be so firm in his ways that hes unwilling to budge - with the rising cap and always a new set of draft picks down the line, moving contracts with term is easier than ever.

Hopefully for Carolina that can sway him a bit because I feel yall would have a Cup already if he was just a bit more brazen

But you do want a Cup too

Lmfao
Until Guentzel, the team has largely kept the guys they've really intened to keep. You can argue over whether other guys were important enough to keep, but they operate with the philosophy of a small core and flexibility. It's worked out pretty well so far but we'll see if they can reach the ultimate goal with the philosophy.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So how confident are people here that Kuzy can replace Turbos offensive numbers this season?

Or maybe does Kuzy+Roslivic = Turbo+Noesen?

I think, like Turbo, Kuzy will be an extremely inconsistent player offensively and will go through long stretches of looking just godawful that will occasionally be broken up by putting up 5 points in 3 games. But unlike Turbo, he won't be good defensively to make up for these long stretches of poor offensive play.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Easy to say when it's not your money.

You mean we might have had a cup if he was brazen enough to have a team that had kept some of Guentzel, TT, Noesen, Skjei and Pesce?
Specifically last year if he had added more, yes; I think Carolina matches up with Florida well

And lets not kid - nobody cares about Dundon's pockets or any other owners lol. As long as they can keep paying the checks... theyre billionaires, they dont deserve my pity lmao

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's interesting that the Devils have 3 former Canes on the roster. If the Canes made hockey decisions in those cases, that means New Jersey did what another generally respected organization wasn't willing to do. Dundon's perceived frugality offers a friendlier explanation of the disconnect.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
You win cups by putting yourself in the playoffs over and over hoping to have the right combination of chemistry, luck, health and goaltending. Our step back was visible on the horizon awhile ago. The step back could end up being exactly the thing we needed to step forward. Am I upset we held Jake money aside and lost one of our great defenseman because of it? Yes. I wasn’t a fan of a rental in the first place so I’m someone that misses the prospects and is annoyed when we don’t keep the guy. I also personally would’ve walked away from Jake earlier to prioritize keeping a D. We didn’t have money for everything and I never believed he was staying so I’m personally mildly annoyed about that. That wasn’t being cheap though. I’m actually glad we aren’t paying him for 8 years, I just wish we kept one of the D and didn’t sacrifice that.
Thats fair. I dont disagree with anything you said; Id just think it could be added onto in occasional years; sometimes you gotta do a quick retool like this year and sometimes you gotta go a few extra pieces or million in

I think back to other teams that were contenders for long time periods and never crossed over; most times I felt they didnt add properly to what they had already, and that right mix like you speak of wasnt there

I think a Cup is pretty hard to get without a few 'all-in' attempts (just more than normal, never truly all-in unless youre an old team) over that timeframe

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Until Guentzel, the team has largely kept the guys they've really intened to keep. You can argue over whether other guys were important enough to keep, but they operate with the philosophy of a small core and flexibility. It's worked out pretty well so far but we'll see if they can reach the ultimate goal with the philosophy.
I dont think theyve lost anyone from the core either; Id maybe have preferred to move Necas.. but thats only if the rumors are true about that situation

Hamilton was an interesting one I look back on and not only because Im a Devils fans; 9m is rich though but he is a minute muncher

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Specifically last year if he had added more, yes; I think Carolina matches up with Florida well
This past season? He added Guentzel. What more could he add?
The season prior? They went hard after Meier with reportedly a very strong package and lost out to the Devils. Shit happens.
And lets not kid - nobody cares about Dundon's pockets or any other owners lol. As long as they can keep paying the checks... theyre billionaires, they dont deserve my pity lmao
Who asked for pity? He's pretty much spent to the cap every year, or very close to it.

I just think you are making overly dramatic statements about the team that has played the best extended stretch of excellent hockey in Carolina Hurricanes history without having a 1st overall or even top 5 draft picks on the squad.

The only player I think they lost that has been difficult to replace to this point has been Trocheck, but by all accounts he was going to NYC regardless. This was going to be a bit of a reset year because there was no way they could keep all of Skjei, Pesce, TT, Guentzel, etc.

Like I said, they will keep doing what they do and giving themselves a chance every year until it stops working.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

The only realistic move that they could have made but didn't was an extra depth defenseman. And the difference in that Rangers series is not random #7 d-man instead of TDA.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Do you know if Turbo was on PP1 and how his points break down 5v5 vs pp?

How much pp toi does Roslolivic average and how much does he score at ES?

TT was both PP1 and PP2. He had the 4th most TOI on the PP among forwards, but Svech was injured for part of that. He played a lot with Jarvis, Aho, but also Bunting, Necas, Noesen, etc.. I'd say more PP1 than PP2.

Total points: 53
PP: 17 points in 166 minutes
ES: 32 points in 950 minutes
- 25 were 5v5
- Rest were against EN, 3v3 or with EN.
SH: 4 points in 129 minutes

Roslovic (across two teams):
Total Points: 31
PP: 4 points in 50 minutes
ES: 26 points in 817 minutes (23 were 5v5)
SH: 1 point in 49 minutes

Their 5v5 scoring was pretty much the same given the TOI.
- TT has an edge on ES scoring due to opportunities (6 points against EN for instance, 1 with goalie pulled - at least one or two of those was SH or PP situation but most were ES).
- TT much more time on the PP and much more scoring. Carolina had the NHL's 2nd best PP last year. CLB had the 31st ranked.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Assuming morrow and a couple of other prospects fill the open roster spots, we’ll likely shave 1.5 years off that average next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad