GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If we could have gotten the 4th OA for Necas, even if it included our 27th OA pick, that would have been a fantastic deal for us IMO. While nothing is a sure thing, the chances at elite talent in the top 5 of the NHL draft is dramatically higher than when you get to the mid/late 1st round.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So in that interview with Rod and Tulsky, both indicated they were surprised at Waddell's departure. That does lend credence to the idea that whatever hiccup occurred with Rod's contract negotiation soured Waddell on continuing with the organization.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So in that interview with Rod and Tulsky, both indicated they were surprised at Waddell's departure. That does lend credence to the idea that whatever hiccup occurred with Rod's contract negotiation soured Waddell on continuing with the organization.
Maybe. More likely it was that he was given a bigger role with more responsibility in CLB and reportedly paid a lot more. He had to go out and get his "market value" last time to get a better deal from the Canes. That can get old, particularly at his age.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I posted the above at the draft. It really jumped out at me that Waddell looked kind of glum when they announced and brought Lindstrom up to the podium. And my take wasn't biased by anything to do with Necas because at the time I wasn't even aware he might have been considered in a trade for the 4 oa.

It would be interesting to re-watch his reaction, but I don't have it recorded. But if Waddell really wasn't all that happy, I was thinking it could have been due to a number of reasons. Silayev seemed like a fairly consensus 3rd oa pick and I wondered if Sennecke going there might have thrown a spanner into the CBJ machine. Perhaps him still being available scuttled another teams desire to trade up, or maybe Waddell personally preferred Silayev but his new team had Lindstrom ahead and he didn't want to overrule it; wouldn't have been an issue if Silayev was off the board after going 3rd. Wasn't until later that I thought it might have been because Waddell wanted Necas.

Anyways, all speculation on my part.

Tbf, Waddell does have resting "very-disappointed-in-you dad face."

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Maybe. More likely it was that he was given a bigger role with more responsibility in CLB and reportedly paid a lot more. He had to go out and get his "market value" last time to get a better deal from the Canes. That can get old, particularly at his age.

I think he was actually given less responsibility in Columbus, since he's just their GM and not the GM/President that he was in Carolina. But I do think that getting more money definitely played a factor.

I just think if him leaving was planned, he'd have given Tulsky or RBA a heads up. They have worked together for a while, and Don knew what this off-season was going to be like, so to leave without giving notice is unusual.

Add in RBA's comments about not being happy with how we do things with regards to negotiations and I think there's something there.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Sounds to me like Tom is still trying to win every negotiation and every trade.

If we continue to do things like this will never be successful and win the cup.

It is somewhat disappointing that it led to the departure of Don.

Given Rod's comments about not liking how We do negotiations and I definitely think this is his last contract with us.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think he was actually given less responsibility in Columbus, since he's just their GM and not the GM/President that he was in Carolina. But I do think that getting more money definitely played a factor.

I just think if him leaving was planned, he'd have given Tulsky or RBA a heads up. They have worked together for a while, and Don knew what this off-season was going to be like, so to leave without giving notice is unusual.

Add in RBA's comments about not being happy with how we do things with regards to negotiations and I think there's something there.

I may be putting words in @Boom Boom Apathy 's mouth, but I think everyone who is mentioning more responsibility for Don is in the GM role specifically, not the total of number of roles he had (such as president) and has now.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I mean, if that rumor is true that CAR-CBJ had a deal in place and Necas nixed it due to not wanting to sign in CBJ long term, I could see why Waddell would be annoyed.Waddell probably cares more about having immediate success rather than building for the future.

It's not too dis-similar listening to Tulsky and now RBA talk about Guentzel. You can definitely sense the frustration with him and his camp about how those negotiations went down (more so with Rod).
Necas can’t nix a trade. Waddell would have had to back out of a trade for Necas because he wouldn’t sign a long term contract.

Necas’ entire point of asking for a trade, if he even did, is to go somewhere he can show his full offensive potential and get paid accordingly. Getting traded somewhere and getting paid what he’s worth right now for 4 or 5 years isn’t accomplishing that.

Given Rod's comments about not liking how We do negotiations and I definitely think this is his last contract with us.
Maybe they won’t win a cup, but by every possible measure this team has been successful since Dundon took over.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I do not get the impression that Dundon led to the departure of Waddell. He just had an opportunity pop up that pulled him in stronger than his desire to stay, and leaving was not an easy choice to make.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I do not get the impression that Dundon led to the departure of Waddell. He just had an opportunity pop up that pulled him in stronger than his desire to stay, and leaving was not an easy choice to make.

The rumor at the time was that Waddell had a contract lined up for RBA since the beginning of last season, but when it came time to get it signed, Dundon got a bit of sticker shock and tried to negotiate the contract himself. That's where the whole "pulled contract" talk from before the Rangers series came from.

And obviously, Waddell didn't like being overruled like that, especially when he's been doing it as long as he has. Between that, the pay not matching the responsibility, and the thought that he'd have to negotiate a new contract with Dundon shortly after, he moved on.

Reactions: Daeavorn and Borsig

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The rumor at the time was that Waddell had a contract lined up for RBA since the beginning of last season, but when it came time to get it signed, Dundon got a bit of sticker shock and tried to negotiate the contract himself. That's where the whole "pulled contract" talk from before the Rangers series came from.

And obviously, Waddell didn't like being overruled like that, especially when he's been doing it as long as he has. Between that, the pay not matching the responsibility, and the thought that he'd have to negotiate a new contract with Dundon shortly after, he moved on.
I mean I heard it recently from a source who is a little more reliable than a rumor, so I'm just relaying what I was told

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I mean I heard it recently from a source who is a little more reliable than a rumor, so I'm just relaying what I was told

My sources told me about the whole RBA contract situation, and nothing from interviews since then has disproven it. And there's been a few that have strengthened that idea.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
in the wake of all this Waddell talk, how f***ing cool is it that a guy who started as an intern with the Canes is now the Team President 20 years later?

My sources told me about the whole RBA contract situation, and nothing from interviews since then has disproven it. And there's been a few that have strengthened that idea.
And you guys wonder why “insiders” are wrong all the time. The two of you can’t even get the same story from presumably reliable sources.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
DW is reported to be very wealthy from Atl real estate deals. I don’t put stock in him leaving just for $$$.

Rather, with the huge re-development coming downstream he judged that the workload would be too much at his age and take him away from what he prefers, hockey operations. The team player upheaval this summer also contributed to thinking it was the right time to leave. Add to it, the messiness of Rod’s contract negotiations (I also believe that even if both Rod and Tulsky knew their public comments would be what we have heard…don’t want Dundon to know they knew).

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
I’m wondering if Rod is having second thoughts about signing his extension given all the offseason BS going on…surely he could have gotten more money elsewhere had he chosen to do so…all of this nonsense is not exactly giving me the warm and fuzzies about the upcoming season!

Reactions: Borsig

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Ok Re

OK Reach Armstrong.

There is nothing but fear mongering with zero evidence. This approach has had us in contention for 5 years so until there is some noticeable drop off its just bitching to bitch.

Every step of the way, because this approach is different its been condemned, yet here we are a top 5 team over that span in wins.

Also there was long trepidation and concern Rod wasn't going to re sign to his current contract and once it was done he said there was never a doubt.

Step off the ledge and let them do what they do

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think a combination of being attracted to the new job while being fed up with the old one is a safe bet. I believe one last event could’ve been the straw that broke the camels back, but it probably put in motion something that would happen anyways.

I don’t really have a great feeling about Don’s departure. Watching the Tulsky portion of the interview and his reaction to the question, I think they were all caught by surprise and I do think that’s interesting. They all know each other well and know each others circumstances. For Tulsky to be surprised I think something did happen that worked as an impetus.

Still, we expected Tulsky to be eventually be named gm or leave us to be someone else’s, I’m glad we didn’t lose him. He’s got the ability to answer questions without actually answering anything aspect of the job down, even when they ask very direct questions. They looked very bored halfway through the interview compared to Rod, who was surprising in how honest he was.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think a combination of being attracted to the new job while being fed up with the old one is a safe bet. I believe one last event could’ve been the straw that broke the camels back, but it probably put in motion something that would happen anyways.

I don’t really have a great feeling about Don’s departure. Watching the Tulsky portion of the interview and his reaction to the question, I think they were all caught by surprise and I do think that’s interesting. They all know each other well and know each others circumstances. For Tulsky to be surprised I think something did happen that worked as an impetus.

Still, we expected Tulsky to be eventually be named gm or leave us to be someone else’s, I’m glad we didn’t lose him. He’s got the ability to answer questions without actually answering anything aspect of the job down, even when they ask very direct questions. They looked very bored halfway through the interview compared to Rod, who was surprising in how honest he was.

The nonverbals and the non-elaborative answer from Tulsky struck me as “I knew he was frustrated but was surprised he left when he did.” I think this was brewing under the surface, people knew of the ongoing difficulties of working with Dundon (and let’s be honest, so did we, they were just always spun as good-natured and playful “oh that darn Dundon!” type ribbing in the public eye), but the actual quitting part of it came out of left field operationally.

I listened to it last night, so I don’t remember the exact wording and tone, but in the moment it struck me as “we didn’t know he was leaving” and then a palpable “dot dot dot” that contained the true story.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Just the fact that everyone has posted several plausible theories shows it was more of a "death by a thousand cuts" situation than anything. I'm sure he was burnt out and in need of a reset at some point. I don't think he necessarily planned on leaving when he did, but Columbus just happened to call him with the right opportunity at the right time.

Fresh start with a solid raise, less ancillary responsibility, more control over hockey ops. Seems like an easy call.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
Will be interesting to see how he does. Before Dundon nobody would have hired him as a GM. The next few years looking at CBJs and the Hurricanes trajectories will be insightful into the inner workings of the borg

Reactions: CandyCanes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad