GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Wouldn't Trouba be within his right to say he won't report, thus being suspended and not be paid?
No. He's contracted himself onto a SPC by the terms within and in the CBA. If he refuses to sign a contract, he's fully within his rights, but not reporting while signed onto a SPC will put him in breach of the contract. The only repercussion won't be that he won't be signed, he will also be a persona non grata within the league. The player doesn't have a right to terminate his SPC on the grounds of don't wanna.

Reactions: cptjeff and geehaad

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
No. He's contracted himself onto a SPC by the terms within and in the CBA. If he refuses to sign a contract, he's fully within his rights, but not reporting while signed onto a SPC will put him in breach of the contract. The only repercussion won't be that he won't be signed, he will also be a persona non grata within the league. The player doesn't have a right to terminate his SPC on the grounds of don't wanna.
Couldn’t he just retire? I am far from an expert obviously but at this point in his career couldn’t he just say “I’m done playing nhl hockey” and achieve the same basic result?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean, sure, if he wants to flip the table and decide he's not playing anymore, more power to him.
Didn't say I would take that approach, but if he wants to, that's up to him.
But generally speaking, the league needs a set of rules to abide by to function. Rules that currently include the NMC/NTCs and their use therein. If every player pulls a Necas and simply decides they're going to dictate the trade without having a NMC/NTC, then those clauses have no meaning.
There are rules and Necas is 100% abiding by them. He filed for arbitrations like a bunch of other players did. Exactly what rule is Necas not abiding by?

Or are you suggesting the CBA should be changed to say that any player that asks for a trade should be obligated to sign a long term deal for the betterment of the team trading him? That's not really what you are suggesting, is it?

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I have not listened to Ovies & Giglios's Podcast with Tulsky, but listening to the live one with RBA right now and i'm not getting and warm and fuzzies. I'm not sure what he's supposed to say, but He's making it sound like the team is set and we're going to deal with the team as it stands. Probably going to have to play Slavin more and needs to be getting more out of KK and Necas. (Also mentioned he believes Necas will be back)
f*** me

What is it going to take to get Marty Necas off this f***ing team? Every year I think the guy is finally gone and every year he somehow manages to find himself still here on opening night. Do I need to get on my knees and beg Dundon at this point?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
No. He's contracted himself onto a SPC by the terms within and in the CBA. If he refuses to sign a contract, he's fully within his rights, but not reporting while signed onto a SPC will put him in breach of the contract.
And anyone has the ability to breach their contract. It's breaking a legal document so it's not without repercussions, but he can do it. There are a lot of players who refused to report in the past, so this isn't a first.
The only repercussion won't be that he won't be signed, he will also be a persona non grata within the league.

The player doesn't have a right to terminate his SPC on the grounds of don't wanna.
He doesn't, but if he wants to use that leverage to not get traded and feels it's worth the risk, that's his right.

Couldn’t he just retire? I am far from an expert obviously but at this point in his career couldn’t he just say “I’m done playing nhl hockey” and achieve the same basic result?
NYR would love that. They just want out of his cap hit.

He wants to still get paid and is using this as leverage to not get traded.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Didn't say I would take that approach, but if he wants to, that's up to him.

There are rules and Necas is 100% abiding by them. He filed for arbitrations like a bunch of other players did. Exactly what rule is Necas not abiding by?

Or are you suggesting the CBA should be changed to say that any player that asks for a trade should be obligated to sign a long term deal for the betterment of the team trading him? That's not really what you are suggesting, is it?

I'm suggesting that NTCs and NMCs are there for a reason and that players without such clauses in their contract should not be attempting to manipulate trades as if they did. And Necas is attempting to do so by denying possible trade destinations. Likewise, I think players that have NMC/NTCs should abide by their contracts as well. Trouba provided a list of 15 teams that he didn't want to be traded to, Detroit wasn't one of them, so he should have been traded. If he doesn't like it, he should have gotten a full NMC throughout his wife's residency.

Reactions: cptjeff

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
There's cap repercussions when someone retires in middle of a long-term contract (ditto on "defection"). I don't think NYR would be very into that, and I guess usually it gets done by the LTIRetirement way instead.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm suggesting that NTCs and NMCs are there for a reason and that players without such clauses in their contract should not be attempting to manipulate trades as if they did. And Necas is attempting to do so by denying possible trade destinations. Likewise, I think players that have NMC/NTCs should abide by their contracts as well. Trouba provided a list of 15 teams that he didn't want to be traded to, Detroit wasn't one of them, so he should have been traded. If he doesn't like it, he should have gotten a full NMC throughout his wife's residency.
Claiming that a player who says "I won't sign a long term deal to play in X place after my mandatory deals expire" is engaging in "trade manipulation" is an absolutely wild hot taek.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm suggesting that NTCs and NMCs are there for a reason and that players without such clauses in their contract should not be attempting to manipulate trades as if they did. And Necas is attempting to do so by denying possible trade destinations.
You're wrong.

Again, what rule is he breaking? The only way he could not "manipulate" a destination as you are suggesting, is to agree to an extension, even if he doesn't want to. Forcing a player to agree to an extension so a team trading them can get a better return is ridiculous.

Likewise, I think players that have NMC/NTCs should abide by their contracts as well. Trouba provided a list of 15 teams that he didn't want to be traded to, Detroit wasn't one of them, so he should have been traded. If he doesn't like it, he should have gotten a full NMC throughout his wife's residency.
I can get behind your position on the Trouba situation some at least, but teams have twisted guys arms in the past to get them to waive a NMC/NTC when they haven't wanted to, so it's a 2 way street.

If NYR didn't like it, they should have only signed him for 5 years.

Reactions: bleedgreen

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The Canes are free to trade Marty to any team at any point in time currently. They are also trying to manipulate the situation by trading him somewhere, having him sign long term, and hopefully get more value out of the deal. He didn't deny those destinations, only our juiced up return for the trades that had been worked out to those destinations contingent upon him signing a certain deal. We could trade him to Columbus or Winnipeg tomorrow and I'm pretty sure he'd go there. We just wouldn't get the value we'd want out of the trade most likely. And there is nothing wrong with Marty using the situation to his advantage like we're trying to with a long term sign and trade type of scenario to ours. The alternative, which is very much a real possibility, is that we just hold onto him for now and look for a move that works for us as circumstances change or just play out the two remaining years that we are owed.

Also, I believe it's reported that Trouba tried to have the NMC line up with her residency and real world events conspired to change the timeline by a year. I don't love his threat, but he's within his rights to basically say I'll retire on the spot if I can't play in New York. It is an obnoxious thing to do, and they could call his bluff, but there's nothing wrong with it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I followed the YouTube link to listen to this, I definitely think a lot of us could take something from the Rod interview. IMO he clearly struggled a bit with this off season. He thinks Pesce and Skjei are two of the best in the league, and he obviously does not seem to be happy to be losing them. He thinks things went sideways for us after we lost Guentzel and I felt like he thought maybe we could’ve kept somebody if we knew we’d have that money available, as in it was maybe too late to get somebody back in the fold by the time we knew we lost Jake. Rod said something about not liking the way we did things but did not specify anything in particular. He also mentions Waddell was a buffer for him, I take that to mean between Rod and TD. Which is interesting especially after TD tried to renegotiate Rod’s contract. He says we took a step back but is ready to move forward. He said something else interesting in there but I’m forgetting and will have to listen again. Talks about the goaltending. Definitely worth a listen.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Claiming that a player who says "I won't sign a long term deal to play in X place after my mandatory deals expire" is engaging in "trade manipulation" is an absolutely wild hot taek.

Saying “I won’t be open to the possibility of signing a long term deal to play in X place” kills off the trade entirely. At least leaving the possibility open allows the Canes to trade him with his two years remaining and gives the other team the chance to “win him over.”

But if he’s stating “I’m not signing a long term deal to play in X place” right off the bat, then any trade with that team involving Necas is dead in the water. If that’s not trade manipulation, what would you call it?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Saying “I won’t be open to the possibility of signing a long term deal to play in X place” kills off the trade entirely. At least leaving the possibility open allows the Canes to trade him with his two years remaining and gives the other team the chance to “win him over.”

But if he’s stating “I’m not signing a long term deal to play in X place” right off the bat, then any trade with that team involving Necas is dead in the water. If that’s not trade manipulation, what would you call it?
We don’t know that he’s said any of that.

Also, it’s not remotely weird for a guy to hesitate to sign an extension before he gets to a team. That’s not manipulation it’s common sense.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I mean, sure, if he wants to flip the table and decide he's not playing anymore, more power to him.

But generally speaking, the league needs a set of rules to abide by to function. Rules that currently include the NMC/NTCs and their use therein. If every player pulls a Necas and simply decides they're going to dictate the trade without having a NMC/NTC, then those clauses have no meaning.
Eh, that’s not fair either. He’s not dictating where he’s going, all he’s saying is that he isnt going to immediately sign long term, forgoing UFA. Which realistically, he shouldn’t.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Exercising his rights?

These ain't slavery times. You trade for him, you get him until UFA and not a second more. His choice to sign for longer is exactly that: his choice. One hundred percent.

It's certainly inconvenient for the team trying to get maximum return, but hey, that's the business. Sometimes all you get in return for a hot young player is Pu.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm kinda surprised at some of indignation towards Necas here just because he doesn't want to sign the next 7-8 years of his career away to possibly the two least desirable teams in the league. We also have no idea how deep these contract talks got with either team or what kind of terms were offered to him. They could've very well been low-ball offers, we have no idea.

Put yourself in his shoes, you're within 2 years of your one big shot at a life-defining payday with the team/city of your choosing. Are you willing to pass up that opportunity to spend potentially the rest of your career in...Columbus or Winnipeg?

I'd love to get this situation settled as much as everyone else, but I missed the part where he somehow owes us an extension to one of these two teams, just so his soon-to-be former team can maximize return. More so than probably any team in the league, Dundon/the Canes have shown time and time again they'll put the squeeze on everyone when negotiating just because they can. He's well within his rights to not sign an extension with one of those teams without it being labeled bush league or a turd move.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
f*** me

What is it going to take to get Marty Necas off this f***ing team? Every year I think the guy is finally gone and every year he somehow manages to find himself still here on opening night. Do I need to get on my knees and beg Dundon at this point?
He hit your girl or something? He has been one of the better players on the Canes over the last few years and its going to be pretty hard to replace him.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So right now we can pretty much expect our line to be KK - Kuzy - Necas? Any of Svech - Aho - Jarvis gets injured and we're pretty well f**ked in terms of scoring depth

Reactions: Borsig

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
So right now we can pretty much expect our line to be KK - Kuzy - Necas? Any of Svech - Aho - Jarvis gets injured and we're pretty well f**ked in terms of scoring depth
Pretty much relying on a lot of things to go right next year. Kuzy having a bounce back season KK taking a big jump he needs to be pushing 50 plus points. Necas to have a big year and a young kid or 2 surprising

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
We still have the guys that were our top five 5v5 point scorers from last year so we should be good. :sarcasm:

1-Aho
2-Jarvis
3-Necas
4-Svech
5-Martinook

BTW, I didn't realize that Slavin was the top 5v5 scoring defenseman on the team.

1-Slavin 29 points
2-Skjei 25 points
3- Chatfield 22 points
4-Orlov 20 points
5-Burns 17 points
6-Pesce 9 points

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Did anyone else think that Waddell didn't look very happy? I wonder if it's because a trade fell through, or maybe the Sennecke pick muddied things up with little time to react? (if that was even the case)

Dougie taught him bad.

I remember hearing an assessment that DW was very disappointed-looking when the trade for 4OA fell through. Might be there is some active history re-writing on DW's part that their order of preference would've been first the kid they got and only then the trade if he was off the table.

I posted the above at the draft. It really jumped out at me that Waddell looked kind of glum when they announced and brought Lindstrom up to the podium. And my take wasn't biased by anything to do with Necas because at the time I wasn't even aware that he might have been considered in a trade for the 4 oa.

It would be interesting to re-watch his reaction, but I don't have it recorded. But if Waddell really wasn't all that happy, I was thinking it could have been due to a number of reasons. Silayev seemed like a fairly consensus 3rd oa pick and I wondered if Sennecke going there might have thrown a spanner into the CBJ machine. Perhaps him still being available scuttled another teams desire to trade up for 4 oa, or maybe Waddell personally preferred Silayev but his new management team had Lindstrom ahead of Silayev and Waddell didn't want to overrule it; wouldn't have been an issue if Silayev went 3rd and was off the board. Wasn't until later that I thought it might have been because Waddell wanted Necas.

Anyways, all speculation on my part, but I stand by the fact that it jumped out at me that Waddell looked particularly glum when the CBJ pick was announced.

Last edited:

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I mean, if that rumor is true that CAR-CBJ had a deal in place and Necas nixed it due to not wanting to sign in CBJ long term, I could see why Waddell would be annoyed.Waddell probably cares more about having immediate success rather than building for the future.

It's not too dis-similar listening to Tulsky and now RBA talk about Guentzel. You can definitely sense the frustration with him and his camp about how those negotiations went down (more so with Rod).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad