GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jarvis beat him out because he refused to do the things Rod wants players to do, and Jarvis did.
Or Jarvis was just plain better at it and it had nothing to do with "want".
In order for him to *get* what he thinks is best for him, he NEEDS the cooperation of the team. The team's cooperation is not remotely optional here. To look out for himself he needs to work *with* the team, and the team is willing do do that. He is not. He's being a turd.
Such utter nonsense. If the team is asking him to sign a long term extension, after coming off a 50 point season he's not a turd for saying no. It's a sure way to suboptimize his earnings. In fact, I'm sure his agent would be saying "hell no", unless it was an incredible offer.

If that means he doesn't get traded, so be it. it's his PRIME earning years over that stretch.
And the team can say no and then wreck his career.
They won't because it does the team no good, short term and long term. It's great for fans to say "Sign him and park him in the press box", but it isn't happening.
If he's not willing to work with the team, whose cooperation he absolutely needs unless he wants to sit out with no pay for 2 years, then there are severe consequences. If he wants a fresh start somewhere, he needs to work *with* the team.
Just because he didn't want to sign a long term deal ANYWHERE, doesn't mean he's not working with the team. You can work with the team and not accept anything and everything. As you said, it's a "negotiation" not a "here, accept this or else".
He wants big money. He thinks he's worth a big money deal. So the team finds not just one, but two teams willing to give him one, and he says no. He's being a turd.
What was this big money they offered? What insight is there into these terms? The fact is we don't know, so let's not make it up to fit a narrative.
And the only option that gets Necas anything remotely close to the situation he wants is the one where he works *with* the team to make a deal.
Yes, agree, but it's a two way street. They have to work with him as well. If he doesn't want to sign for whatever reason, they need to work with each other to find an amicable solution. It's not "Here, take this 7 year deal in WPG or else".
If he works against the team he's going to wind up on the 4th line or press box and the damage from that will damage him and his earnings for the next 4-5 years of his career.
No, he's not. The team wants to win and aren't going to be petty and vindictive.
You can be an asswipe and refuse to work with people, and hold out for absolutely perfect, which is what Necas is doing.
Oh C'mon. We have no clue what was offered, how much, what conversations have been had, etc... None of us do so I'm not going to pass that judgment. I get it, you don't like Necas and haven't for a while, but no need to start making stuff up without the information to support it.
And even when you're within your formal rights, that often rebounds on you and you get nothing. And that's the path he's on right now.
I bet he'll be just fine in the end. NHL teams and the players association know it's bad business to "ruin" a guy's career. It's why it rarely, if ever, happens.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
How long till his arbitration is complete?

We should only elect for 1 year, make him ride it out and flip him at the draft with out allowing him to talk to other teams prior.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yes, agree, but it's a two way street. They have to work with him as well. If he doesn't want to sign for whatever reason, they need to work with each other to find an amicable solution. It's not "Here, take this 7 year deal in WPG or else".

They ARE working with him by attempting to facilitate his trade request in the first place. Because, again, it's Necas that wants out.

So far, we know of two teams that we've attempted to trade him to, and they're two teams that (at the time of the supposed trade) had the bigger role available that he's looking for.

The organization is attempting to meet his request. Necas isn't offering that same goodwill back.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
They ARE working with him by attempting to facilitate his trade request in the first place. Because, again, it's Necas that wants out.

So far, we know of two teams that we've attempted to trade him to, and they're two teams that (at the time of the supposed trade) had the bigger role available that he's looking for.

The organization is attempting to meet his request. Necas isn't offering that same goodwill back.

We just aren't going to agree on this, which is fine. We have seen a couple of tweets (one from a Canes tweeter with 460 followers) that said he wouldn't sign an extension with WPG or CLB and without any sort of information on what type of extension, how much, etc.. are just blindly assuming he should accept it and if he doesn't, it's bush league.

Like I said before. Teams trade guys without warning, some they've just signed (CDH, Bunting for instance), or buy out guys, or don't offer ELCs, or waive guys, etc... and "It's just business"

Yet when a player asks for a trade (or won't waive a NTC like Whitney), he's suddenly the bad guy, selfish and should just do what's best for the team. Just don't agree with this double standard fans apply.

How long till his arbitration is complete?

We should only elect for 1 year, make him ride it out and flip him at the draft with out allowing him to talk to other teams prior.
How does that make sense for Carolina?

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We just aren't going to agree on this, which is fine. We have seen a couple of tweets that said he wouldn't sign an extension with WPG or CLB and without any sort of information on what type of extension, how much, etc.. are just blindly assuming he should accept it and if he doesn't, it's bush league.

Like I said before. Teams trade guys without warning, some they've just signed (CDH, Bunting for instance), or buy out guys, or don't offer ELCs, or waive guys, etc... and "It's just business"

Yet when a player asks for a trade (or won't waive a NTC like Whitney), he's suddenly the bad guy, selfish and should just do what's best for the team. Just don't agree with this double standard fans apply.

How does that make sense for Carolina?

If Necas had a NTC/NMC, I'd have no issue with him utilizing it. Because that's the fault of the organization for giving him one. But he doesn't, and he's attempting to manipulate the trade market like he does. That's the difference, IMO.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
On another note. Apologize if it's already been posted. No idea who this tweeter is though because anyone who has to call themselves and insider, probably isn't.

I would be interested in seeing how the Caps make that cap work. They are already so far over the cap next year that they need Oshie to be on LTIR just to get to the current cap. Maybe this is why the bought CapFriendly...

Cap, cap, Cap, CapFriendly, cap, cap.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I don't think there were more than one or two people who had a problem with Whitney, and they were idiots. Whitney had that NTC because he had a family and wanted stability and was entirely justified in saying no to a trade because he had earned that right as part of his contract negotiations.

Necas has not earned a NTC after a long, honorable career. He's a guy who doesn't want to play accountable hockey and is asking for a trade. But he's not willing to do what it takes to make that trade work. Just like he wants the rewards of being a star player without being willing to do what it takes on the ice to actually be one.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't think there were more than one or two people who had a problem with Whitney, and they were idiots. Whitney had that NTC because he had a family and wanted stability and was entirely justified in saying no to a trade because he had earned that right as part of his contract negotiations.
There were certainly more than 1 or two. And I could be wrong, but IIRC, Dave was one of them so you should watch what you say about Dave!
Necas has not earned a NTC after a long, honorable career. He's a guy who doesn't want to play accountable hockey and is asking for a trade. But he's not willing to do what it takes to make that trade work. Just like he wants the rewards of being a star player without being willing to do what it takes on the ice to actually be one.
You're making quite the conclusion from a tweet about WPG from a tweeter named: Hasbullacane. A poster with 460 followers whose tag line is: "Carolina Hurricanes enthusiast | Tony DeAngelo fanatic | NHL Insider #CauseChaos"

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If Necas had a NTC/NMC, I'd have no issue with him utilizing it. Because that's the fault of the organization for giving him one. But he doesn't, and he's attempting to manipulate the trade market like he does. That's the difference, IMO.
Semantics IMO. Players use whatever leverage they have and they should. Aho used it via the offersheet. Tkachuk used it. Vesey used it. Fox used it. Nylander used it (sat out), etc...

Times have changed. It used to be that the vets, via NTC and NMC, and typically only the highest end vets, were the only ones with that leverage. As we've now seen over the past 5-7 years, RFAs, and not just the stars, are using the little leverage they have much more.

Fans may not like it, but it's a reality and won't be going away any time soon.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Semantics IMO. Players use whatever leverage they have and they should. Aho used it via the offersheet. Tkachuk used it. Vesey used it. Fox used it. Nylander used it (sat out), etc...

Times have changed. It used to be that the vets, via NTC and NMC, and typically only the highest end vets, were the only ones with that leverage. As we've now seen over the past 5-7 years, RFAs, and not just the stars, are using the little leverage they have much more.

Fans may not like it, but it's a reality and won't be going away any time soon.

So you're OK with what Trouba is (allegedly) doing? He had a NMC, it shifted to a NTC this off-season, and the Rangers tried to trade him to Detroit, a team not on his list. Trouba basically said if you trade me, I'll refuse to report. Allegedly.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
I have not listened to Ovies & Giglios's Podcast with Tulsky, but listening to the live one with RBA right now and i'm not getting and warm and fuzzies. I'm not sure what he's supposed to say, but He's making it sound like the team is set and we're going to deal with the team as it stands. Probably going to have to play Slavin more and needs to be getting more out of KK and Necas. (Also mentioned he believes Necas will be back)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
So you're OK with what Trouba is (allegedly) doing? He had a NMC, it shifted to a NTC this off-season, and the Rangers tried to trade him to Detroit, a team not on his list. Trouba basically said if you trade me, I'll refuse to report. Allegedly.
Lol, at the mention of Trouba I thought you were going to refer to how he as RFA forced WGP to trade him to NYR for non-optimal return by refusing to sign long-term with any other team than the Rongos.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I have not listened to Ovies & Giglios's Podcast with Tulsky, but listening to the live one with RBA right now and i'm not getting and warm and fuzzies. I'm not sure what he's supposed to say, but He's making it sound like the team is set and we're going to deal with the team as it stands. Probably going to have to play Slavin more and needs to be getting more out of KK and Necas. (Also mentioned he believes Necas will be back)
Did you actually expect anything more than maybe a necas hockey trade or contract? and a jarvis extension? Drury getting a couple mil in arb?

We knew this when our shutdown pair walked and replaced Turbo and Guentzel with no one.

hblueridgegal

We'll bounce back
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
His no rearview window comments were great and scary! I have never heard him speak that much about Necas.

Sounded like he is still mourning the departures and Don.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Did you actually expect anything more than maybe a necas hockey trade or contract? and a jarvis extension? Drury getting a couple mil in arb?

We knew this when our shutdown pair walked and replaced Turbo and Guentzel with no one.
Not sure what I expected, but what I am is HOPEFUL that there's movement to be done. Guentzel is the only one i'm upset about not signing. Pesce/Skjei/Turbo/Noesen all got overpaid. Plain and simple. It's what happens July 1. With what the UFA's got paid so far, I'm glad we didn't overpay. I will subdue my expectations for now.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve been assuming we’re done unless something shakes loose over the summer. I think we’re at the point of the summer where it’s essentially over until everything ramps up again. Arbitration may force a need to do something more but I’m guessing until someone calls us with a change of heart about a Necas offer he’s playing with us and we’ll see how he handles whatever his new role is. I do think we’ll move a forward out at some point but we’re in the doldrums now. No point hitting refresh in case you missed something in the last the last ten minutes.

I think it’s fine Necas asks for clauses. It’s standard to fight for, and hardly a slight on his character. Didn’t we give Carrier one?

Before we hang Trouba for working the system I’d like to see from a reputable source that he said he would refuse to show up in Detroit despite them not being on his list. If it’s from someone legit then it’s worth a discussion. If it’s just “word around the campfire” I don’t think there’s a point in even arguing about what’s right and wrong about that.

His no rearview window comments were great and scary! I have never heard him speak that much about Necas.

Sounded like he is still mourning the departures and Don.
Can we get more of a summary of what he said? I don’t think I’m going to be able to listen to it today. What did he mean by that comment?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Pesce/Skjei/Turbo/Noesen all got overpaid. Plain and simple.
I'd have easily paid Tuevo what he got in Chicago. He's a career 56 point player coming off of a 25 goal season (career high). And the term is just right.

I think the bigger challenge has more to do with what's "left over" rather than what was paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad