GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
We aren’t exactly sure what marner’s demands will be away from Toronto. He required that much Toronto because they wouldn’t give him performance bonuses
Well he’s not gonna take anything less than what he’s currently making I wouldn’t think. Canes would want him on the same deal as aho imo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
So how much is Toronto going to retain because we ain't taking that mistake of a contract on our books
The speculated setup is such that the third party might be doing the retaining on Marner en route to Carolina.

Yeah, that would be great. A great mistake for Utah.
It would be kind of funny though, after all those years of Matthews signs with Arizona talk if Utah took Marner instead.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The speculated setup is such that the third party might be doing the retaining on Marner en route to Carolina.

It would be kind of funny though, after all those years of Matthews signs with Arizona talk if Utah took Marner instead.
Oh aight I can see that

Necas for Marner straight up and then maybe a prospect and pick to someone else to take on the retained salary?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't know why our plan seems to be to replace Necas with a different Necas? Ehlers, Marner, etc. They're going to be just as ineffective and mis-utilized as Necas has been.

We need to trade Necas for a player that fits the system mold better, not simply swap name plates.
yep, Tkachuk is the only name that ever came up that makes sense to me, and Ottawa isn't about to trade him. I guess maybe Crouse too but Necas has a LOT more value IMO. Keller's been mentioned but I don't think there's any real possibility Utah moves him, hasn't been for a while.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't know why our plan seems to be to replace Necas with a different Necas? Ehlers, Marner, etc. They're going to be just as ineffective and mis-utilized as Necas has been.

We need to trade Necas for a player that fits the system mold better, not simply swap name plates.
Yeah, and not only same type of player, but both have one less year of control and probably cost more that one year as well. Doesn't make sense at all.

We are better just taking him to arbitration and taking one year and punt this down the road to see if someone else shakes loose in the season or next offseason. Or maybe everything clicks and he wants to stay the following year. But to take either Marner or Ehlers at this point seems like giving up a year of control to just watch a similar performance and see them not take the organizations offer one year earlier.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006

Just throwing it out there, but maybe the org doesn't think of necas as ineffective or mis-utilized. I think they want someone to play a role like he has played, but necas is unhappy playing that role so they are open to swapping him out with someone that doesn't fancy themselves a center.

Maybe new guy doesn't like it, maybe they do. Maybe new guy ends up on the first line and PP1 (though i feel like necas has a spot on PP1 this season if he stays).

I hope he stays, personally.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Perhaps he's untouchable in Utah's mind, but I still like a Lawson Crouse plus for Necas....and maybe an add as well.

Prior to us signing Walker, I wanted us to see if a Necas for Crouse and Durzi might work. Pluses where necessary. I still think we should target Crouse and maybe try for Dylan Guenther....we'd probably have to add at least a nice pick....but Crouse satisfies an LW need on our 2nd line and Guenther is a highly valued prospect. Just a matter of whether or not we can agree on the various values.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just throwing it out there, but maybe the org doesn't think of necas as ineffective or mis-utilized. I think they want someone to play a role like he has played, but necas is unhappy playing that role so they are open to swapping him out with someone that doesn't fancy themselves a center.

Maybe new guy doesn't like it, maybe they do. Maybe new guy ends up on the first line and PP1 (though i feel like necas has a spot on PP1 this season if he stays).

I hope he stays, personally.

Necas isn't happy playing the role he is because he feels like he could be more productive elsewhere. And he's probably right. And any other player of similar mold is going to feel the same way. Because Rod wants his forwards to be defensively-responsible first and worry about scoring/points second.

Guys like Marner, Ehlers, Necas, Skinner, etc. are great complimentary guys to have because they'll score goals and they'll do it in bunches. But that's ALL they do. And in today's game, and especially in Rod's system, you can't be a one-trick pony.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Necas isn't happy playing the role he is because he feels like he could be more productive elsewhere. And he's probably right. And any other player of similar mold is going to feel the same way. Because Rod wants his forwards to be defensively-responsible first and worry about scoring/points second.

Guys like Marner, Ehlers, Necas, Skinner, etc. are great complimentary guys to have because they'll score goals and they'll do it in bunches. But that's ALL they do. And in today's game, and especially in Rod's system, you can't be a one-trick pony.
That's a pretty broad brush to use on all those guys. I mean, Marner was a selke finalist lol

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Marner is a huge step above the other guys listed. He’s actually solid at both ends of the ice. If I recall correctly he finished 3rd in Selke voting 2 years ago? He’d be a perfect winger for Aho.

That said I don’t like the idea of trading Necas for one year of Marner. And it’s hard to imagine Marner would take a pay cut on his next deal. But if we could do a sign & trade and get him locked up long term under $9.5M I’d absolutely be a fan of the deal.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Marner is a huge step above the other guys listed. He’s actually solid at both ends of the ice. If I recall correctly he finished 3rd in Selke voting 2 years ago? He’d be a perfect winger for Aho.

That said I don’t like the idea of trading Necas for one year of Marner. And it’s hard to imagine Marner would take a pay cut on his next deal. But if we could do a sign & trade and get him locked up long term under $9.5M I’d absolutely be a fan of the deal.
Is he though? His Selke finalist selection was based on a huge amount of takeaways (hello, Jeff Skinner) and he wasn't even one of his teams first unit PK forwards that year. Toronto got absolutely caved on the kill when he was on the ice compared to say how we did with the Aho-Turbo pairing up front IIRC.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
the more i hear about the Ehlers trade, the more I hate it As far as the Disgrunted draftee with the cool name lol pass , Sign Necas to Arbitration pay off the Pop and Gf lol and hope Necas has a Breakout 90 point season then trade him afterwards . I don't want to have Ehlers leave next yr or to sign him to 8 million , i'd like Zegras and a 2nd rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad