GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I thought we were getting Laine dumped on on us so we could complete the failed Aho world juniors line trifecta.
1720444518619.png

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I thought we were getting Laine dumped on on us so we could complete the failed Aho world juniors line trifecta.
There's a rumour circulating that Carolina offered Necas for Laine at the draft but CBJ didn't bite.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
i cant see why would make such an offer when we turned it down the Jets the last time we wanted Laine and they asked for Necas. Laine had a better track record then.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Link? If it's in an athletic article, could you please copy the text directly (as I don't have an athletic subscription).
I read it from a Finnish news site translated to English that google gave me when searching for Hurricanes Laine, it didn't have a twitter link tho.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Link? If it's in an athletic article, could you please copy the text directly (as I don't have an athletic subscription).
It's from the Athletic. He talks a lot about the timing being bad for Columbus as Laine still hasn't left the Players' Assistance Program so teams could trade for him but can't talk to him right now to see if there's a fit.

"There is one oft-rumored move that still makes some sense, and it involves Waddell’s former club, the Carolina Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes have been trying to trade restricted free agent Martin Necas, and they reportedly made an offer to the Blue Jackets on the draft floor. Necas, who filed for arbitration last week, has scored 52 goals over the last two seasons, and would be an instant upgrade for the Blue Jackets.

Meanwhile, Carolina has more than $11 million in cap space. They could easily take Laine’s contract."

He fails to account for Jarvis's or Drury's RFA extension, or the value Columbus would need to add to Laine to get Necas.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So the article @elmaco read seems to be taking two different piece of information and trying to make it into a rumor.

1) Did the Hurricanes make an offer to trade Necas CLB at the draft? Yes, that was said to be for the 4th overall though, not for Laine. The report said CLB turned it down because Necas would not agree to an extension.

2) Laine hasn't even been cleared to play but many think a Necas for Laine trade makes sense.

Nowhere did it say the Canes offered Necas for Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad