GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Can we get more of a summary of what he said? I don’t think I’m going to be able to listen to it today. What did he mean by that comment?
Mostly, about how there will be little to no depth so there are no real threats (in the rearview mirror) to take or threaten their jobs. He said both (KK and Necas) tend to do better when the expectations are high and the team will need both to perform at the next level. He implied more than 1 prospect will get an opportunity to play.

He downplayed any conflict with Necas said he has a good relationship with him but is sometimes hard on him because he thinks he can be even better.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I'd have easily paid Tuevo what he got in Chicago. He's a career 56 point player coming off of a 25 goal season (career high). And the term is just right.

I think the bigger challenge has more to do with what's "left over" rather than what was paid.
TT said today in his presser that he had offers to choose from and Chicago was the easy pick due to the past. He seems happy.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Mostly, about how there will be little to no depth so there are no real threats (in the rearview mirror) to take or threaten their jobs. He said both (KK and Necas) tend to do better when the expectations are high and the team will need both to perform at the next level. He implied more than 1 prospect will get an opportunity to play.

He downplayed any conflict with Necas said he has a good relationship with him but is sometimes hard on him because he thinks he can be even better.
Thank you! I think he was similar with TT in terms of pushing Necas.

He’s mentioned it now and others have mentioned how we talk of leaving space for kids up front. When we have 15 NHL forwards? Jost is on a one way, as is Robinson who’s a pretty damn good fourth liner for us. I’m guessing Fast will be out but that still leaves us with plenty of vets. Obviously something will have to give before opening night. Wonder if they would still sign Lemieux now that we have what we have.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

He’s mentioned it now and others have mentioned how we talk of leaving space for kids up front. When we have 15 NHL forwards? Jost is on a one way, as is Robinson who’s a pretty damn good fourth liner for us. I’m guessing Fast will be out but that still leaves us with plenty of vets. Obviously something will have to give before opening night. Wonder if they would still sign Lemieux now that we have what we have.
The Tulsky part of the podcast is worth a listen too...a great Q & A session re: the data and options, etc. They discuss CapFriendly vs their homegrown system.

Obviously, a way different experience than the Don interviews, too.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
as i've said before, i want necas back. i'd love for him to take hit a new level, and earn everything he wants while wearing a canes sweater. i really want him - hell, all our players, to be happy here.

players should use any leverage they have. i don't mind him using his leverage or any other player using it either.

what is annoying is the dishonesty. i selfishly want transparency, and hockey doesn't usually have it. (this assumes a few rumors are true, gotta go with something...) he allegedly wants a fresh start where he can play on the first line, get time on PP1, and maybe shift to center. well, bullshit. because there has been at least one 'insider' verified team in columbus, maybe two if you believe the winnipeg rumor, where he could have exactly that. that is not what he wants. what he wants is those opportunities in some specific market(s). just say that.

whether it is because his girlfriend, or restaurants, or museums, or whatever, say where you want to be.

maybe if he had, the canes could have already found an actual trade partner he wanted to go to, instead of wasting valuable time on deals that were dead ends once he realized being traded meant potentially getting what you want, where you don't.

tl;dr - he's not a turd, but he's not blameless.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I made a post about this last week. But I’m pretty certain management views this season as a reset year in preparation for next offseason where we have a ton of cap space to weaponize.

For example I think I’d have taken the Turbo deal. But I also think management is thinking they can get some bigger names in his place via trade / free agency next offseason, that probably range in the 8-11m per year range. I truly believe if Rantenen, Marner, or Draisitil shake loose into free agency we’ll be all over them. With cap to spare if we do successfully sign one of them. We will have $30M + cap space next year.

This year will be great to get some of our prospects injected into the NHL roster and experiment with. I’d rather us do that this year vs a year like last year where we were rated as Stanley Cup favorites by some. This season could still be a very big season for us if we land a few surprises from guys stepping up like KK, Necas, Nadeau, and maybe even another level from Jarvis.

I’m perfectly okay where this roster stands today, knowing that next offseason is going to be a huge opportunity to throw us into contention for another 5 years with the right acquisitions.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Jost, Robinson, Lemieux are all on 1-way deals that could be buried in Chicago if needed.

They currently have 9 players on CapFriendly listed for Chicago, including Nadeau, FUS, and Suzuki. So whether one of those kids makes the team or not, they will be signing more forwards for Chicago and will have space if one of those kids beats out all of Jost/Robinson/Lemieux.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
as i've said before, i want necas back. i'd love for him to take hit a new level, and earn everything he wants while wearing a canes sweater. i really want him - hell, all our players, to be happy here.

players should use any leverage they have. i don't mind him using his leverage or any other player using it either.

what is annoying is the dishonesty. i selfishly want transparency, and hockey doesn't usually have it. (this assumes a few rumors are true, gotta go with something...) he allegedly wants a fresh start where he can play on the first line, get time on PP1, and maybe shift to center. well, bullshit. because there has been at least one 'insider' verified team in columbus, maybe two if you believe the winnipeg rumor, where he could have exactly that. that is not what he wants. what he wants is those opportunities in some specific market(s). just say that.

whether it is because his girlfriend, or restaurants, or museums, or whatever, say where you want to be.

maybe if he had, the canes could have already found an actual trade partner he wanted to go to, instead of wasting valuable time on deals that were dead ends once he realized being traded meant potentially getting what you want, where you don't.

tl;dr - he's not a turd, but he's not blameless.
You want transparency but then base your opinion on partial information that has no transparency. We don’t know why Columbus didn’t happen. It may have been them wanting the kid they took. In fact, Waddell DID say he had a trade there if the kid they took wasn’t there….which he was. Is that the Necas trade? Why do we think Waddell wanted Necas over number 4? Would you? I wouldn’t have given up a top ten for him and I support Necas.

Saying Necas is being dishonest feels like horse pucky.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Dougie taught him bad.

You want transparency but then base your opinion on partial information that has no transparency. We don’t know why Columbus didn’t happen. It may have been them wanting the kid they took. In fact, Waddell DID say he had a trade there if the kid they took wasn’t there….which he was. Is that the Necas trade? Why do we think Waddell wanted Necas over number 4? Would you? I wouldn’t have given up a top ten for him and I support Necas.

I remember hearing an assessment that DW was very disappointed-looking when the trade for 4OA fell through. Might be there is some active history re-writing on DW's part that their order of preference would've been first the kid they got and only then the trade if he was off the table.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006

i literally call it out in my own post saying i have to go with something.

if your position is that there may have been no possibilities to trade, thus necas hasn't impacted anything, then the whole conversation is useless and i'd probably be paying attention to work. that's cold, bleed.

Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dougie taught him bad.

I remember hearing an assessment that DW was very disappointed-looking when the trade for 4OA fell through. Might be there is some active history re-writing on DW's part that their order of preference would've been first the kid they got and only then the trade if he was off the table.
On the flip side he looked pretty gleeful when he drafted the kid? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just questioning where is the information coming from. Who said he was disappointed and looked so? He didn’t look upset when he took the pick, and didn’t sound upset when saying they had a backup plan if the pick wasn’t there.

I think they all say what they have to say that day, and Don is notoriously opposed to being transparent and honest himself. We don’t know what happened. Assuming Necas is a liar and is responsible for nothing happening feels….misplaced.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i literally call it out in my own post saying i have to go with something.

if your position is that there may have been no possibilities to trade, thus necas hasn't impacted anything, then the whole conversation is useless and i'd probably be paying attention to work. that's cold, bleed.
lol I’m doing the same thing. We all feel the void of info so I get it. We didn’t get a deal done. How many times have we said that when we really wanted one over the last few years? It seems more likely to me we couldn’t get the value we wanted from the deals out there vs Necas nixed something, until we hear something concrete otherwise. I’m curious personally about whether or not our loose lips killed the Buffalo talks, I’d assume they didn’t but that was a curious moment.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Who said he was disappointed and looked so?
1720557484228.png

Might've been I fell for a make-believe.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So you're OK with what Trouba is (allegedly) doing? He had a NMC, it shifted to a NTC this off-season, and the Rangers tried to trade him to Detroit, a team not on his list. Trouba basically said if you trade me, I'll refuse to report. Allegedly.
I don't know all the details, but in general, yes, I am.

Fans have it in their head that a billionaire owner trading a guy is "just business as they are doing what's best for the team", but when a millionaire player uses what leverage they have to do what's best for themselves, it's "bush league". I don't see it that way and I've argued this back in the MSL wanting to be traded from Tampa days, so this isn't a new position for me.

If Trouba wants to wreck the rest of his NHL career and potentially lose out on money he's owed to be with his wife and support her career, that's his choice. He's doing what's best for him. NY shouldn't have given him a 7 year deal as they knew he wasn't going to be there for the whole 7 years (thus the change from NMC to NTC).

The team has said they don't want him anymore and is trying to do what is best for the team, he's trying to do what is best for him.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Wouldn't Trouba be within his right to say he won't report, thus being suspended and not be paid?
Yes, as much as he's within his rights to retire now as well.

That said, if Trouba wanted to stay in NY no matter what he could have negotiated the NMC clause throughout instead of a M-NTC for the last 2 years. Of course, that probably means getting less money.

I actually feel more sympathy for Necas than Trouba here: Necas didn't refuse to report to Columbus; he simply said he didn't want to immediately sign a long-term deal. That's his right as a player if he wants to go to UFA in 2 years or he wants to try out the new city first.

The problem Carolina is running into is the trade value Carolina is getting for 2 years of Necas isn't what they want back for Necas. So Necas now has to decide if getting to UFA is worth staying in Carolina for at least one more year.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Wouldn't Trouba be within his right to say he won't report, thus being suspended and not be paid?

I mean, sure, if he wants to flip the table and decide he's not playing anymore, more power to him.

But generally speaking, the league needs a set of rules to abide by to function. Rules that currently include the NMC/NTCs and their use therein. If every player pulls a Necas and simply decides they're going to dictate the trade without having a NMC/NTC, then those clauses have no meaning.

Reactions: cptjeff and Borsig

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yes, as much as he's within his rights to retire now as well.

That said, if Trouba wanted to stay in NY no matter what he could have negotiated the NMC clause throughout instead of a M-NTC for the last 2 years. Of course, that probably means getting less money.
Yep. And the flip side is NYR could have given him more AAV for less years if they didn't want to have to deal with the last 2 years of the deal. Both parties made compromises to try to make it work out best for them.
I actually feel more sympathy for Necas than Trouba here: Necas didn't refuse to report to Columbus; he simply said he didn't want to immediately sign a long-term deal. That's his right as a player if he wants to go to UFA in 2 years or he wants to try out the new city first.
Agree. That was my point as well. Also, we also have no details about any extension other than a tweet, so it's hard to say what he should or shouldn't have taken.
The problem Carolina is running into is the trade value Carolina is getting for 2 years of Necas isn't what they want back for Necas. So Necas now has to decide if getting to UFA is worth staying in Carolina for at least one more year.
Agree 100%.

Reactions: bleedgreen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad