UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Did anyone take the train from UBS heading East after the game on Thursday/Saturday? If so, how was it? I'm meeting my father at the game tomorrow and he heard that people were waiting on the platform for a long while. I have no idea whether that's true or not but he gets these things in his head.

Also, it looks like there is a 10:25 train. That's not really enough time to stay til the end. Does that train wait around until a certain time after the game or does it come at 10:25 regardless? I'm assuming there are buses that go from the arena out to the Elmont station after the game too? Realistically, you probably need to leave the arena at 10pm in order to ensure you're making that train, right?
There was a wait, but this isn't Atlantic Terminal only one train can be at the station at a time, I'm sure they will better align the arriving trains for each zone. We went direct to Huntington and besides the wait it was smooth in both directions.

Reactions: MJF

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Did anyone take the train from UBS heading East after the game on Thursday/Saturday? If so, how was it? I'm meeting my father at the game tomorrow and he heard that people were waiting on the platform for a long while. I have no idea whether that's true or not but he gets these things in his head.

Also, it looks like there is a 10:25 train. That's not really enough time to stay til the end. Does that train wait around until a certain time after the game or does it come at 10:25 regardless? I'm assuming there are buses that go from the arena out to the Elmont station after the game too? Realistically, you probably need to leave the arena at 10pm in order to ensure you're making that train, right?
I can’t imagine the trains are waiting. It’s not like in Penn or Atlantic terminal where the trains can just sit. Elmont is on a track with other trains coming through. I have not yet taken the train myself , but I’m planning on it in the near future. It’s been taking me about an hour 15 to drive in, if the train is similar, I may be taking the train. Uber prices are outrageous.

Reactions: MJF

puckstopper55

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2003
Visit site
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere but I couldn’t find a similar thread. No doubt a thread about the parking garage itself exists, but I want to talk about the “hype” around it.

Yes, it’ll hold over 1400 cars. Yea, it’s pretty close to the arena. It’s sure gonna be expensive. But how in the holy hell do they think funneling that many cars to a single building will work? This isn’t a big deal for a shopping mall where people come and go randomly. But having a large majority of the fans arriving within a 1.5 hour window is going to be chaos.

If you think getting in is bad, wait until it’s time to exit after the game. Anyone ever park in one of the parking garages near yankee stadium? Yeah, not something you want to do. Getting out takes an hour + easily.

All I hear is “thank goodness the garage will be open”, “it’s going to solve so many issues”, “fans will no longer park on the streets”. This is a huge ticking time bomb.

Please correct me if they have figured out some innovative way to unload the garage after the game. Has anyone in the media even thought of this issue? Judging by my google searches, it doesn’t seem so.
So after going to 2 hockey games and a concert I have to admit that not only was I wrong, I was very wrong. The way the exit is designed is ingenious. There is nothing stopping traffic from exiting the garage, and once you do exit, there is only one way to go (Hank is about 1/2 mile down the road. He’ll waive you into the whopper lair). You either go cross island north or south. That’s it. As long as you back in to your parking spot, you’ll be out in a breeze. I’m hoping the exit stays this way after the mall is built, but for now, it couldn’t be easier.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
I know not directly UBS related, but talk on the possiblity of having an ad patch on the jersey next season. Sorry if Ledecky's recent talk about this was posted already:

"...[T]he Islanders co-owner explained that whoever they choose to partner with, there was plenty of thought put into it.

'We’re not going to take necessarily the highest dollar. We’re going to take a brand on the patch that associates with the values of our brand,' Ledecky said. 'And if we have to wait for that brand to emerge and not throw a brand on for the sake of throwing a brand on, we will. We want the right brand here. Our players, it really effects them.'"

For example, Ledecky explained, he had been able to convey through general manager Lou Lamoriello and new head coach Lane Lambert the benefits of working with Jackpocket to the players. The company gives a percentage of what they make to education, Ledecky said.

The Islanders and Jackpocket first got together over the summer when the Islanders announced that they would order $50,000 worth of lottery tickets through the app for full season ticket members, suite holders, staff, and the Islanders Children’s Foundation. The virality of the story led to the partnership that was announced earlier this month. . . ."

"'Fans should be excited about the logos on helmets and the patch on the shoulder because the way the National Hockey League works if all 32 teams are successful in selling these assets then the salary cap goes up,' Ledecky said. 'And we are unabashedly a cap max team. We’ve given our hockey operations folks that 100 percent ‘go do what you need to do.’ For the fans if the cap goes that means, we hope, better players, more free agency, a chance to win the (Stanley Cup), a chance to hold that Cup up high.

'I hope our fans as we think about selling the patch, we think about doing other things that raise capital, they should understand that increases for the National Hockey League the overall salary cap.'"

Not participating in patch ad program this season.
The best part of this increased $$, is only the islanders salary goes up...so we get the advantage lol my goodness just say you want more $$$ already people will respect you more

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
So after going to 2 hockey games and a concert I have to admit that not only was I wrong, I was very wrong. The way the exit is designed is ingenious. There is nothing stopping traffic from exiting the garage, and once you do exit, there is only one way to go (Hank is about 1/2 mile down the road. He’ll waive you into the whopper lair). You either go cross island north or south. That’s it. As long as you back in to your parking spot, you’ll be out in a breeze. I’m hoping the exit stays this way after the mall is built, but for now, it couldn’t be easier.
I parked lower level handicapped for opening night, zipped right out. Next game parked 4th level, took 20 minutes to get to ground, then zipped right out.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Sounds about right, but no car to store the 12 pack in.
Ok, I know it's too late tonight but for the future you'll have to go a sixer. One in each front pants pocket, one in each sock or coat/jacket pocket if weather is cooperative (70/80 degrees in NC past 2 days)

Go 2 in the extra large McDonald's cup so you can chug a lug while your walking along. You might even get a wink from a cute hockey mom who thinks "wow this guy's savant for eating cheap before the game"

Ignorance is bliss baby!!

Gotta take the lad to karate. Game starts at 1030 for me!

LGI!

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Ok, I know it's too late tonight but for the future you'll have to go a sixer. One in each front pants pocket, one in each sock or coat/jacket pocket if weather is cooperative (70/80 degrees in NC past 2 days)

Go 2 in the extra large McDonald's cup so you can chug a lug while your walking along. You might even get a wink from a cute hockey mom who thinks "wow this guy's savant for eating cheap before the game"

Ignorance is bliss baby!!

Gotta take the lad to karate. Game starts at 1030 for me!

LGI!

No worries, this is for Thursday ;)

More concerned about if the parking lots are actively patrolled or not. I've only taken public transportation to games so far.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
No worries, this is for Thursday ;)

More concerned about if the parking lots are actively patrolled or not. I've only taken public transportation to games so far.
The only police I’ve seen are inside the arena and outside on the street, when traffic is letting out post game. Haven’t encountered anyone actively patrolling the lots. Plenty of people drinking and smoking.

Reactions: Strummergas

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Hi. My sister wants to go to the game on Saturday and will have a carry-on airplane luggage with her. The UBS website looks like this is permissible after going through security, but I wanted to see anyone here had any experience with this kind of thing.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Hi. My sister wants to go to the game on Saturday and will have a carry-on airplane luggage with her. The UBS website looks like this is permissible after going through security, but I wanted to see anyone here had any experience with this kind of thing.
I believe there are bag size limitations

Edit: 12”x12”x6”. It says there’s bag check in the main entrance.

Reactions: Metnut

Overthrow32

Sep 29, 2006
I’m sure it’s been beaten to death, but what are some good pregame/food bars or restaurants along the way? Coming from bay shore.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Went to the Pens game the other night and came to the conclusion, it'll be a while before I go back.

First off they have to fix the parking nightmare. Game ended went to shuttle bus area, no busses. Was told they weren't staged as game ended. Waited 15 min and decided to walk. made it to Emerald lot before fist bus did. Took almost 40 min to exit lot. Would like to know what genius thought having 12 lanes dump into 4 was a good idea. Was stunned when finally got to exit/entrance to find half the gates closed off further increasing the bottle neck.

Secondly, the Coliseum was a gritty, greasy, blue-collar place as were the fans. This place is antiseptic, white collar and very quiet inside, in fact it is incredibly quiet inside. Why put the blue and orange army at the open end of the arena? Any noise they make dissipates into thin air. Would have been better to put them at the closed end of the arena, or is that area reserved for the suits willing to pay $200 a ticket?

Lastly went into the team store and laughed. The 50th anniv varsity jacket was $1000, yes $1000. A 50th anniv hoodie, $400. That's $400 for an f'in hoodie? Whose bright idea was this?

I have come to the realization this ownership group is tone deaf to the fanbase. All they want to do is be a NYC team and charge NYC prices.

It's disgusting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad