UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Bottom line, when it comes to UBS, fans have voted with their asses and their wallets.
The Isles with the Lighthouse arena probably would have been fine. The Isles in Nassau with the referendum arena would have been toast in 10 years.

The Islanders desperately needed to broaden and expand their fanbase and attendance reach into the Boroughs/Manhattan and whatever they grab from Westchester. UBS put them in a position to do that. Once the hotel gets built, it will have high occupancy too since most the hotels by JFK are awful, it will get a lot of international travelers and airline contract to boot.

The isles needed to move ‘West’ vs. staying in Nassau or going further East, which would eliminate any chance of survival as a NHL franchise.

On a separate matter, I would really like to see the Isles play in a Euro game in the next two years (more when the hotel and shopping area are done).

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Remember how easy it used to be to leave a game at the Coliseum 20 years ago. I used to get out and back to Bayside in 18 minutes. Do you know why? THERE WAS NOBODY AT THE f***ING GAMES. THE PARKING LOT WAS EMPTY.

The Penguins game was a complete sellout. This was the first time ever they sold Standing Room tickets.
If there are no shopping-cart pretzels in the parking lot to make the freezing-cold walk to the car after a 5-1 loss more tolerable, then this move to UBS has been a big waste.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If there are no shopping-cart pretzels in the parking lot to make the freezing-cold walk to the car after a 5-1 loss more tolerable, then this move to UBS has been a big waste.
At least we still have the five dollar hat guy. But even that price went up.

Reactions: JBHockey

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You mean, High Pitch Eric?
30EDFF93-B20C-45CC-8B28-8CAA13F16593.jpeg

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Damn owners didn’t add in the tri-county flea market merchandise section, the ground round food hall, and cheap johns trinkets booth.

The Isles updating this team from its stuck in 1988-mentality and image is a darn good thing for everyone involved.
Don’t forget the Beefsteak Charlie’s salad bar!

Reactions: The Real JT

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Went to the Pens game the other night and came to the conclusion, it'll be a while before I go back.

First off they have to fix the parking nightmare. Game ended went to shuttle bus area, no busses. Was told they weren't staged as game ended. Waited 15 min and decided to walk. made it to Emerald lot before fist bus did. Took almost 40 min to exit lot. Would like to know what genius thought having 12 lanes dump into 4 was a good idea. Was stunned when finally got to exit/entrance to find half the gates closed off further increasing the bottle neck.

Secondly, the Coliseum was a gritty, greasy, blue-collar place as were the fans. This place is antiseptic, white collar and very quiet inside, in fact it is incredibly quiet inside. Why put the blue and orange army at the open end of the arena? Any noise they make dissipates into thin air. Would have been better to put them at the closed end of the arena, or is that area reserved for the suits willing to pay $200 a ticket?

Lastly went into the team store and laughed. The 50th anniv varsity jacket was $1000, yes $1000. A 50th anniv hoodie, $400. That's $400 for an f'in hoodie? Whose bright idea was this?

I have come to the realization this ownership group is tone deaf to the fanbase. All they want to do is be a NYC team and charge NYC prices.

It's disgusting.
This is the worst post of 2022 AND 2023. Congratulations.

Reactions: BrockLobster

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Arrived 40 minutes before game time, still had to park on level 5 of the garage. Have never been lower without a handicapped permit. There's just not enough parking.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Arrived 40 minutes before game time, still had to park on level 5 of the garage. Have never been lower without a handicapped permit. There's just not enough parking.
There’s plenty of parking. If you want to park closer, get there earlier.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You do know that parking opens at 4PM for Belmont Hall customers and that the arena opens 90 minutes before puck drop?

I'm starting to wonder if people have an unreasonable expectation of just driving up 30 minutes before game time and parking close to the arena like when we played at the Coliseum?

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
You do know that parking opens at 4PM for Belmont Hall customers and that the arena opens 90 minutes before puck drop?

I'm starting to wonder if people have an unreasonable expectation of just driving up 30 minutes before game time and parking close to the arena like when we played at the Coliseum?
Yeah I don’t get the “wtf I arrived 30 min before puck drop and had to park far away” complaining? If you want to park close and arrive late, buy diamond parking.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
What is the bar/food situation at the arena in the hours before puck drop? Meeting a few friends at the game next Sat and they want to be able to eat and watch the playoff games beforehand.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That’s exactly what it is, just like every other arena. And if you wanna drive up 30 mins before, pay the premium to do so.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Total number of Handicap spots are dictated by law. The use of the spots is legit or those not legit.
I have a handicap sign. I was just wondering for those that need it are there enough or do they have to walk distances that they can't normally do

Down here, parking in handicap spots without a pass is rampant. Happens most nights at the karate dojo. I'm not apt to raise a stink about such matters but at a game venue, it might be an issue for some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad