UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

SportsPhysio

Jun 18, 2021
I make it in 13 min, but I'm a fast-walking city slicker.

FYI, just learned today that the MTA has canceled service on the Belmont Park line. That means no more railroad shuttles from Jamaica to the arena before and after games. Your only option for the LIRR is to take it to Elmont-UBS and either get on a shuttle bus or hoof it to the arena.

However, it does appear that they have expanded westbound service after the games, so there's that at least.
Have you (or anyone else kind enough to reply) used the Train Time app for buying tickets and navigating a trip on the LIRR? I’ve only used the LIRR for trips from Northport to Penn Station, so I don’t know my way around the system very well, and don’t want to get lost with my daughter in tow. Looking at the schedules, there’s one that transfers at Mineola to UBS, but I don’t know anything about the tracks there and which one to get on. At a quick glance, it looks like the Train Time app gives pretty concise real time info for a trip, but I haven’t actually used it.

Thanks in advance!

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Have you (or anyone else kind enough to reply) used the Train Time app for buying tickets and navigating a trip on the LIRR? I’ve only used the LIRR for trips from Northport to Penn Station, so I don’t know my way around the system very well, and don’t want to get lost with my daughter in tow. Looking at the schedules, there’s one that transfers at Mineola to UBS, but I don’t know anything about the tracks there and which one to get on. At a quick glance, it looks like the Train Time app gives pretty concise real time info for a trip, but I haven’t actually used it.

Thanks in advance!

i use it all the time for schedules and buying tix. The MTA really sucks, but they've gotten better with their apps in the last little bit of time.

Reactions: SportsPhysio

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
I make it in 13 min, but I'm a fast-walking city slicker.

FYI, just learned today that the MTA has canceled service on the Belmont Park line. That means no more railroad shuttles from Jamaica to the arena before and after games. Your only option for the LIRR is to take it to Elmont-UBS and either get on a shuttle bus or hoof it to the arena.

However, it does appear that they have expanded westbound service after the games, so there's that at least.
When did that start? I used the train from Belmont to UBS on January 21st. I find them much more convenient than Elmont, Maybe when the Grand Central schedule changes went into effect?

Thanks in advance!
It's really easy to use. Once you see which train you want to take, you click BUY and that's it. I'm sure your transfer at Mineola is either on the track across or on the same track.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
When did that start? I used the train from Belmont to UBS on January 21st. I find them much more convenient than Elmont, Maybe when the Grand Central schedule changes went into effect?

I went to the 2/17 game against PIT and it was running. I went to the 3/4 game against DET and they announced that the MTA canceled the service. So, sometime between the two games.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

It's really easy to use. Once you see which train you want to take, you click BUY and that's it. I'm sure your transfer at Mineola is either on the track across or on the same track.
They announced at the game on Saturday that the MTA had cancelled service on that spur. They also provided a QR code that you could scan to complain about it.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Although it's not a big deal, I hope they reconsider the Belmont Park Station discontinuance for games. That would definitely be the way I'd want to go if I was coming from West.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Going to the Leafs game this Tuesday. A few questions....

• I see on the UBS website that Emerald parking is free for BMW owners (but is "limited"). I lease a BMW so I assume that still applies, but anyone have any experience with this?
  • Can anyone show up to the Belmont Park Garage and pay for parking there or is that only for season ticket holders?
  • Anyone have a lead on how to get a parking pass on any of the VIP lots closer to the arena?

Kindly let me know. Thanks.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Going to the Leafs game this Tuesday. A few questions....

• I see on the UBS website that Emerald parking is free for BMW owners (but is "limited"). I lease a BMW so I assume that still applies, but anyone have any experience with this?
  • Can anyone show up to the Belmont Park Garage and pay for parking there or is that only for season ticket holders?
  • Anyone have a lead on how to get a parking pass on any of the VIP lots closer to the arena?

Kindly let me know. Thanks.
I think you can find parking for the front lots on StubHub. You have to buy parking garage parking in advance.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think you can find parking for the front lots on StubHub. You have to buy parking garage parking in advance.

Thanks. Is StubHub the only place to find extra parking passes (and are they always legit)? Do you know of any other avenues to score one?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Thanks. Is StubHub the only place to find extra parking passes (and are they always legit)? Do you know of any other avenues to score one?
I have never purchased one, my tickets come with parking in the silver lot. So I’m not sure of legitimacy. On UBS app and Ticketmaster, the only option for purchase is for emerald lot. You could reach out to sales and see if they could help you out, but then they’ll be trying to sell you tickets for the rest of your life. I bought tickets to a game at the prudential center like 10 years ago, I constantly get calls from the devils sales team. No matter how many times I’ve told them an Islander fan.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I have never purchased one, my tickets come with parking in the silver lot. So I’m not sure of legitimacy. On UBS app and Ticketmaster, the only option for purchase is for emerald lot. You could reach out to sales and see if they could help you out, but then they’ll be trying to sell you tickets for the rest of your life. I bought tickets to a game at the prudential center like 10 years ago, I constantly get calls from the devils sales team. No matter how many times I’ve told them an Islander fan.

Ha. I hear you. Actually I've found the Islanders staff to be quite nice. I know a gy there who I reached out to, but he just handles tickets, not parking, so I didn't bother him.

Overall seems like it's Emerald or bust (unless you want to pay 50-100, with fees, on StubHub). I did find out that BMW drivers (which I am) can park in Emerald for free so at least there's that.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Ha. I hear you. Actually I've found the Islanders staff to be quite nice. I know a gy there who I reached out to, but he just handles tickets, not parking, so I didn't bother him.

Overall seems like it's Emerald or bust (unless you want to pay 50-100, with fees, on StubHub). I did find out that BMW drivers (which I am) can park in Emerald for free so at least there's that.
Yeah, another poster above said you can pull up and pay for parking in the garage. It is a little closer. I’ve heard the walk from emerald lot isn’t bad. Supposed to be a high of 55 on Tuesday, might not be so bad. Plus, free is nice

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, another poster above said you can pull up and pay for parking in the garage. It is a little closer. I’ve heard the walk from emerald lot isn’t bad. Supposed to be a high of 55 on Tuesday, might not be so bad. Plus, free is nice

I've done Emerald before and it was pretty cold. On a nice night would be fine (and certainly even better after a win).

Just getting your car out of Emerald is the issue. Hopefully that has improved.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I've done Emerald before and it was pretty cold. On a nice night would be fine (and certainly even better after a win).

Just getting your car out of Emerald is the issue. Hopefully that has improved.
The parking garage and train have really un-congested the emerald lot. There are still thousands of people leaving all at once but compared to how it used to be, it's a breeze

Reactions: Lights911 and MJF

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The parking garage and train have really un-congested the emerald lot. There are still thousands of people leaving all at once but compared to how it used to be, it's a breeze
It would be even better if they had an elevated walkway over the area where the cars exit because as of now the still have to stop the cars to let people that are walking to the train cross.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It would be even better if they had an elevated walkway over the area where the cars exit because as of now the still have to stop the cars to let people that are walking to the train cross.
I’d bet money that ends up happening. I haven’t read anything concrete but I heard they’re doing a hotel, restaurants and bars nearby too and whatnot.

Bergman even said recently they won’t do Draft/Allstar game until it’s completed but since opening I haven’t cared to keep up with the project

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
What would everyone grade the UBS experience out of 10? Might have a chance to see a game there against the Lightning in a couple weeks. Atmosphere still seems good based on TV audio.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What would everyone grade the UBS experience out of 10? Might have a chance to see a game there against the Lightning in a couple weeks. Atmosphere still seems good based on TV audio.

9/10, the only thing knocking it down a peg is the parking situation isn't ideal.

It's better than MSG, Prudential Center, Wells Fargo, and Capital One for sure.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Next time I'll probably take the train. The drive wasn't terrible or anything either, just curious about the train experience when leaving the arena.

I thought the train was great -- course -- I'm on the main line so its 50 min each way with no transfers. Only concern is allowing enough time to get to the platform.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They run the shuttles after the games back to the railroad, or you can just leg it. It's like a 12-15 min walk.

I was with a huge group of people for the game so we ended up lingering in the arena, by the time we got out the wait for a bus back to the parking lot (and I assume the railroad) was 20 minutes. It was raining so we just walked back to the parking lot under the covered path instead of getting soaked in the uncovered area waiting for the buses. Wouldn't have been as bad had it not been raining.

Really it's not that big of a deal but it is a little obnoxious.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
10/10. Considering where we came from to where we are, it's actually an 11.

I'm trying to see all 32 NHL arenas. So far I've been to 22. The seating bowl at UBS is terrific. I haven't sat in a 300 level seat yet, but the 200s are fine and the 100s really can't be beat. If I had to pick an arena that has the full monty of fan experience, great amenities, good access by car/public transportation, I'm not sure that really exists. There are gives and takes at every venue.

FWIW I think UBS Arena stacks up there with United Center and Little Caesar's Arena, which are my 2 favorite NHL venues so far.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Gonna be at UBS tonight against Jersey. First time this season. Saw the Isles in Detroit earlier this year. Great arena but not a great effort on our end.

Hard team to gauge. After 2 weak efforts I’m expecting a solid game from the good guys.

On a more important note, where can I find the best eats at UBS?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad