UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I have a handicap sign. I was just wondering for those that need it are there enough or do they have to walk distances that they can't normally do

Down here, parking in handicap spots without a pass is rampant. Happens most nights at the karate dojo. I'm not apt to raise a stink about such matters but at a game venue, it might be an issue for some.
Up here you don’t really see people without the pass parking in the spots. I do see, however, people with handicap parking pass that park in the spots and get out no problem and seem very well abled.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Up here you don’t really see people without the pass parking in the spots. I do see, however, people with handicap parking pass that park in the spots and get out no problem and seem very well abled.
Here they're just blatant... cops don't write those tickets. Some days my knees are decent, some days less so. I never make an issue of it but it can be annoying at times. It is crappy of someone who is able to take up a spot at a game when others need it more. Way of the world these days I guess Big L

Reactions: Big L

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
You cannot presume how well abled someone may be. They may look perfectly normal while struggling or suffering through that walk.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
You cannot presume how well abled someone may be. They may look perfectly normal while struggling or suffering through that walk.
Astute point.

Works both ways in that there are doctors filling out forms for their friends, relatives, etc

There are also those with heart and breathing issues that debilitate stamina

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I have a handicap sign. I was just wondering for those that need it are there enough or do they have to walk distances that they can't normally do

Down here, parking in handicap spots without a pass is rampant. Happens most nights at the karate dojo. I'm not apt to raise a stink about such matters but at a game venue, it might be an issue for some.
In the Emerald lot they have a completely separate parking lot and shuttles for handicap.

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
In the Emerald lot they have a completely separate parking lot and shuttles for handicap.
that's good. i was pretty mad last night when the 2 handicapped spots were taken by cars with no passes outside karate. not the biggest deal in the world. i might ask them to address it in a "be courteous with the handicapped spots if you don't have a valid pass" type of thing

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Is the parking situation going to improve or is this the situation now? Getting out of emerald after game is brutal and getting to arena from emerald also sucks as everyone knows

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Is the parking situation going to improve or is this the situation now? Getting out of emerald after game is brutal and getting to arena from emerald also sucks as everyone knows
Can’t be any worse than trying to leave the coliseum?

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
its much worse than coliseum IMO. The traffic all is linear and has to almost bottleneck to get out of Emerald. At least the coli had multiple exits to get out of there
I go hang out at one of the bars for about 20 minutes, by then the traffic has cleared.

Unfortunately there really is no easy way out of any arena, Yankees, Mets, football, trying to leave immediately after any one of those is brutal. The nightmares of the cross Bronx after a Yankee stadium weekday day game still make me shiver

Reactions: MJF

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I know they recently made it resident only parking for parking on the neighborhood streets close to the area , however it’s only the first 8 blocks or so. Was thinking of attempting to park on block 9 or so where that rule doesn’t stand and walking.

It’s probably still closer than walking from Emerald except it’s not $30

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I know they recently made it resident only parking for parking on the neighborhood streets close to the area , however it’s only the first 8 blocks or so. Was thinking of attempting to park on block 9 or so where that rule doesn’t stand and walking.

It’s probably still closer than walking from Emerald except it’s not $30
Is your auto insurance deductible more or less than $30?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Starting on February 27 Elmont-UBS Arena becomes a full time station as that is the day the LIRR begins regular service to/from Grand Central Terminal. Hempstead Branch trains will be the main service at Elmont, with additional service on event days provided by Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma branch trains.

Reactions: eoin92

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Just did the train from out here in Da Konkoma and have nothing but good things to say.

Ronkonkoma to Elmont/UBS via LIRR direct for game this past Tues. $15 r/t

Empty train and all local stops direct to arena. Tons of space and Isles fans streaming in at every stop. Takes under an hour for me. Brand new station and just allocate 20 min to get to doors of arena walking around the track.

As long as the weather isn't frigid, it's kinda great. Naturally, you need to pay attention to schedule for return trains. Our return trip train came in empty, so no crowding issues. I'm sure trains heading east from Penn will have people on them, but on a weeknight at 10pm, i wouldn't expect them to be that bad.

Bring a hero or something and some beverages and work off those drinks walking to and from arena. I'm down.

Reactions: NC 1972

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I never thought I'd see the day when the Isles' arena was considered cream of the crop.
Screenshot 2023-02-28 074837.jpg

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Apparently The World's Greatest Arena ain't that great....
It’s a complicated mathematical model.

They take the raw score of the arena then multiply it by (1 minus the average nightly percentage of douchebags in the stands at that arena).

SportsPhysio

Jun 18, 2021
Just did the train from out here in Da Konkoma and have nothing but good things to say.

Ronkonkoma to Elmont/UBS via LIRR direct for game this past Tues. $15 r/t

Empty train and all local stops direct to arena. Tons of space and Isles fans streaming in at every stop. Takes under an hour for me. Brand new station and just allocate 20 min to get to doors of arena walking around the track.

As long as the weather isn't frigid, it's kinda great. Naturally, you need to pay attention to schedule for return trains. Our return trip train came in empty, so no crowding issues. I'm sure trains heading east from Penn will have people on them, but on a weeknight at 10pm, i wouldn't expect them to be that bad.

Bring a hero or something and some beverages and work off those drinks walking to and from arena. I'm down.
I will be making my first trip to the arena Tuesday with my daughter (native LI’er, moved to Alabama 29 years ago), and will be coming from Northport. How long of a walk is it from the station to the arena? Any other tips or suggestions?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I will be making my first trip to the arena Tuesday with my daughter (native LI’er, moved to Alabama 29 years ago), and will be coming from Northport. How long of a walk is it from the station to the arena? Any other tips or suggestions?

I make it in 13 min, but I'm a fast-walking city slicker.

FYI, just learned today that the MTA has canceled service on the Belmont Park line. That means no more railroad shuttles from Jamaica to the arena before and after games. Your only option for the LIRR is to take it to Elmont-UBS and either get on a shuttle bus or hoof it to the arena.

However, it does appear that they have expanded westbound service after the games, so there's that at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad