UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Went to the Pens game the other night and came to the conclusion, it'll be a while before I go back.

First off they have to fix the parking nightmare. Game ended went to shuttle bus area, no busses. Was told they weren't staged as game ended. Waited 15 min and decided to walk. made it to Emerald lot before fist bus did. Took almost 40 min to exit lot. Would like to know what genius thought having 12 lanes dump into 4 was a good idea. Was stunned when finally got to exit/entrance to find half the gates closed off further increasing the bottle neck.

Secondly, the Coliseum was a gritty, greasy, blue-collar place as were the fans. This place is antiseptic, white collar and very quiet inside, in fact it is incredibly quiet inside. Why put the blue and orange army at the open end of the arena? Any noise they make dissipates into thin air. Would have been better to put them at the closed end of the arena, or is that area reserved for the suits willing to pay $200 a ticket?

Lastly went into the team store and laughed. The 50th anniv varsity jacket was $1000, yes $1000. A 50th anniv hoodie, $400. That's $400 for an f'in hoodie? Whose bright idea was this?

I have come to the realization this ownership group is tone deaf to the fanbase. All they want to do is be a NYC team and charge NYC prices.

It's disgusting.

You expected the owners to try and not make money after spending $400M on the team? What rock are you living under?

Pretty sure the Blue and Orange Army picked their own seats.

I sure don't miss having penny pinching owners and being dead last in the standings. This is the best arena I've ever been to, the Coliseum was a joke for a professional sports team.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
And elsewhere!
It won't be long before people all have the ability to give out likes and dislikes in public, and we all go around in life with a hologram above our heads with the 2 numbers on display. That'll be fun.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It won't be long before people all have the ability to give out likes and dislikes in public, and we all go around in life with a hologram above our heads with the 2 numbers on display. That'll be fun.

They already have that cancel culture nonsense. Makes me glad most of my life is in the rearview

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You expected the owners to try and not make money after spending $400M on the team? What rock are you living under?

Pretty sure the Blue and Orange Army picked their own seats.

I sure don't miss having penny pinching owners and being dead last in the standings. This is the best arena I've ever been to, the Coliseum was a joke for a professional sports team.
Remember how easy it used to be to leave a game at the Coliseum 20 years ago. I used to get out and back to Bayside in 18 minutes. Do you know why? THERE WAS NOBODY AT THE f***ING GAMES. THE PARKING LOT WAS EMPTY.

The Penguins game was a complete sellout. This was the first time ever they sold Standing Room tickets.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Said poster, if a Mets fan, is probably pissed off that Steve Cohen is "buying" a championship. But perhaps the most on-brand post I've ever seen here on HF.

Makes up for all the years that the Wilpon's bought nothing but excuses

Plus he's just buying a lottery ticket. On field performance is what gets it done. I'm not a Yankee hater but they spend as do Dodgers but don't have all the titles the money might dictate

Reactions: Strummergas

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I really really really can't stand the comment of how hard it is to leave after a game. There's 20,000 people trying to leave an area at once!

Reactions: MJF

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
...is the $1,000.00 jacket real?

Has anyone actually spent close to $400 on a sweatshirt??

I'm sure people have. But no one is forcing anyone to buy that high-end stuff, and it's not like EVERYTHING they sell is that expensive. Most items aren't.

The poster is just a baby crying over something he wants but can't afford, and is angry at the team for having the audacity for selling it. When I saw the price tag on that thing, I just laughed and moved along.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I really really really can't stand the comment of how hard it is to leave after a game. There's 20,000 people trying to leave an area at once!
Reminds me of the drunken walks back to the car after games and concerts

Stooge 1 "Hey, you sure it's this way"

Stooge 2 "I think so"

Stooge 3 "Worse comes to worse, we'll wait until everyone leaves and our's will be the last one left"

Wish I could say this stupid conversation only happened once!

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I'm sure people have. But no one is forcing anyone to buy that high-end stuff, and it's not like EVERYTHING they sell is that expensive. Most items aren't.

The poster is just a baby crying over something he wants but can't afford, and is angry at the team for having the audacity for selling it. When I saw the price tag on that thing, I just laughed and moved along.
Old timer asked me one time if I knew what the proper value of anything was

Whatever answer I gave him (don't remember what it was) was met with his retort and a very valuable lesson that has stuck with me to this day

"Kid, the value of anything is the price someone is willing to pay for it"

Reactions: Strummergas

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

I think it's actually fairly nice, and they could get people to pay some decent money for it. I'd consider it just not in that price range. Weren't they doing it as a giveaway for STH or am I thinking of a different jacket?

I'm thinking the sweatshirt and the jacket are probably produced at low volume because I can't see the team moving a lot of them in that range.

But at the end of the day, it is the fact of life as Mike C pointed out that "the value of anything is the price someone is willing to pay for it."

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I think it's actually fairly nice, and they could get people to pay some decent money for it. I'd consider it just not in that price range. Weren't they doing it as a giveaway for STH or am I thinking of a different jacket?

I'm thinking the sweatshirt and the jacket are probably produced at low volume because I can't see the team moving a lot of them in that range.

But at the end of the day, it is the fact of life as Mike C pointed out that "the value of anything is the price someone is willing to pay for it."

Yeah, I mentioned in another thread that they have a nice rugby shirt and striped sweater that I would be on board to buy at half of what they're charging. But I'm also not crying over not being willing to spend the money they're asking for on them. And yes, the Isles Lab stuff is not produced at the same quantities as the regular apparel you can by with team name/logo on them. It's definitely geared towards high-end clientele willing to spend money. I don't see why that's such a big deal to that poster.

The STHs got a Members Only Isles jacket this year. It's actually quite nice!

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Damn owners didn’t add in the tri-county flea market merchandise section, the ground round food hall, and cheap johns trinkets booth.

The Isles updating this team from its stuck in 1988-mentality and image is a darn good thing for everyone involved.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Damn owners didn’t add in the tri-county flea market merchandise section, the ground round food hall, and cheap johns trinkets booth.

The Isles updating this team from its stuck in 1988-mentality and image is a darn good thing for everyone involved.
Ground Round. Used to love that place!

Reactions: Chardo

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
For years Islanders fans served as a punching bag when it came to attendance-related jokes in NHL circles. Without a permanent home and bouncing between facilities, the Islanders almost had a nomadic feel to them for several seasons. But the move to UBS Arena has reversed their fortunes on this front, as the Islanders are playing to almost 97 percent capacity at home games this season.
Moving to a larger venue has certainly helped boost their attendance figures. Their previous homes at the Barclay’s Center (15,813 capacity) and Nassau Coliseum (13,900 capacity) simply didn’t have enough seats to generate huge crowds. But even when the Islanders were split between those smaller venues at Barclay’s Center and Nassau Coliseum in 2019-20, they were only playing in front of 81.3 percent capacity

Bottom line, when it comes to UBS, fans have voted with their asses and their wallets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad