UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I got garage parking this year. I of course would rather have South Lot parking but that doesn't exist anymore. And its not like you pull straight out of Emerald lot after walking 15-20 minutes to get there either.

I'm guessing if I bust out of my seat right when the game ends, and make my kids run, which is what I've been doing since as long as they've been old enough to go to games - and yes, I realize its a little heartless to make a 4 yr old girl sprint to the car (but hey, ya wanna go, gotta keep up), I'm guessing that I'll have a 5-10 max wait to get out. If you wait around for a while, you'll probably be stuck, but isn't that the case with any parking lot?

I'm sure we'll have some kinks and there will be some trial and error, but at the end of the day, it won't be measurably different than other parking situations. Every arena parking lot gets backed up. That's the way it works.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
They should have built it in Syosset, instead of the new Amazon warehouse. Right off LIE, train right there. Could have built it half below grade so it wouldn't be too tall.

Groin Of Bates

Jan 11, 2007
As someone who has been to UBS many times for all types of events and have always parked in Emerald lot, the walk to and/or from doesn't really take that long (albeit if you're alone or have children that'll be a different story and I understand that piece). Shuttle buses that run back and forth are also relatively fine. Sometimes it sucks when its cold and you're waiting but what are you gonna do?

I find the arena to be relatively convenient as someone that used to live in Levittown - 15min from the Coliseum driving and now lives in Lynbrook - 25min to UBS driving (in rush hour) and ~15min without - no real "easy" access to mass transit and drive to and from every game. It's expensive but what arena / stadium isn't? Certainly taken me longer to get out of Citi Field and MetLife...

If I had an easier train option, I'd be on it. Zero question.

Reactions: JBHockey

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
BTW if you park at Hicksville and take a 12 minute LIRR ride to Elmont the fare is $3.25. Park at Mineola and it's a 5 minute train ride.

$6.50 round trip or a minimum of $30 to park your car at the game.

I don't know why anyone from out east who has access to the LIRR would ever drive to UBS Arena ever again.
Right now, it's the schedule. After the game, there's a train at 10:25 that's going to be tough to make -- and impossible if the game runs long. Then, there's an hour gap until the next one at 11:25. I hope it gets better once trains run more frequently when the Grand Central trains start running, but until then, getting home at midnight or later isn't very appealing.

Because of that, opted for the garage for this season. Used it for the Devil preseason game, and it was a breeze getting out. Yes, it was pre season, but we got there just before puck drop so were parked pretty high up in the structure so I don't think it will be all that much worse going forward. We'll see, but the garage seems well designed, and without the bottlenecks that made the Yankee Stadium garage we parked in for the Stadium game such a nightmare.

Reactions: MJF

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I guess Malkin should build another arena out in Ronkonkoma for everyone who lives in the Town of Brookhaven for when they can't deal with a trek to Elmont anymore.
Remember that 17,000 seat arena that someone was proposing in Ronkonkoma a few years ago? I think it eventually got downgraded a few times and is now a dekHockey facility. That would be a good option for the people who find UBS too much of a hassle.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
The population growth is out east and won't impact Belmont. If traffic gets bad, more people will take the train. The arena is on Long Island and isn't in the city. What in the world are you even talking about?
Oh yes its like 6 feet from the city. I'm sure the others figured it out sorry to confuse you. Most people on long island try and avoid going near that area due to the traffic. I used to drive to Bayside 20 yrs ago it was a mess. With each increase in population, the traffic can increase to a point of it not being worth it. So a 10% increase in traffic could be a 40% increase in driving time. People whobhave lived in LA and DC area know this.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Oh yes its like 6 feet from the city. I'm sure the others figured it out sorry to confuse you. Most people on long island try and avoid going near that area due to the traffic. I used to drive to Bayside 20 yrs ago it was a mess. With each increase in population, the traffic can increase to a point of it not being worth it. So a 10% increase in traffic could be a 40% increase in driving time. People whobhave lived in LA and DC area know this.

Okay, so is it in the city or is it not in the city? Also, "the city" usually isn't used when referencing Queens. Nobody says, "I'm in the city" when they're in Jamaica.

I don't care where you drove 20 years ago or where you drive today. If you don't want to go via car or train, don't go.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Okay, so is it in the city or is it not in the city? Also, "the city" usually isn't used when referencing Queens. Nobody says, "I'm in the city" when they're in Jamaica.

I don't care where you drove 20 years ago or where you drive today. If you don't want to go via car or train, don't go.
I never said "I'm in the city" when I was in Jamaica. I did however say "I think I'm in hell"

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I only lived in Bayside for a year or two back in '89-90 but had awesomely fun times at the Old Forge Tavern. Wonder if it's still around

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
They should have built a floating arena in Long Island Sound like I suggested. No traffic or parking issues there.
Add a bridge from Fairfield or Westchester county with a 6 lane exit and entrance ramp off the Sound and then I’m in as a STH.

Alternatively Elon Musk can build a tunnel to UBS from the North and another from Eastern L.I.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Now that it’s officially to grow in NY… and consume and nearly (officially) buy,,,, happy to report that

Pizza is almost ready
I’m high af
Bailey is on 3rd line

I’m at peace.

wow, when did that happen?

our wives might have said it was that back when we were hanging out there!....place had a nice Bay Ridge feel to it
Nah. I just made up that answer. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Now that it’s officially to grow in NY… and consume and nearly (officially) buy,,,, happy to report that

Pizza is almost ready
I’m high af
Bailey is on 3rd line

I’m at peace.

Nah. I just made up that answer. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.
So wait, are you saying the internet would give out fake news?

Next thing that's gonna happen is I'm gonna get back from karate, settle my fat ass in the recliner with snacks, drinks and remote in hand and find out we don't have Gaudreau or Kadri??????

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
BTW if you park at Hicksville and take a 12 minute LIRR ride to Elmont the fare is $3.25. Park at Mineola and it's a 5 minute train ride.

$6.50 round trip or a minimum of $30 to park your car at the game.

I don't know why anyone from out east who has access to the LIRR would ever drive to UBS Arena ever again.
Went direct out of Huntington besides this longer wait back this is the only way I’m coming to games now.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Interested to hear how the parking garage situation went.

I saw some discussion above regarding driving to Mineola from the East and taking the train from there, that's an interesting option I'd consider to avoid the parking lot/traffic on the way out nonsense.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Interested to hear how the parking garage situation went.

I saw some discussion above regarding driving to Mineola from the East and taking the train from there, that's an interesting option I'd consider to avoid the parking lot/traffic on the way out nonsense.
We arrived late and wound up near the roof deck. That was not ideal as we were clogged up until those on the lower levels got their cars out of their spots. Once we were able to exit our spot, pretty much zipped down. Lesson learned (re: getting there early), but even with what happened, took about 20 min. to get out of the garage.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
The earlier you get to the garage, the earlier you get out of the garage.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
If the South Lot is now theoretically holding more cars because of the garage, and with added train service, I wonder if that means Emerald would be a bit less busy.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Silver lot was a disaster last night. Got there about 30 mins before pick drop. Usually get there earlier.

Last edited:

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I arrived early and parked in the emerald lot and it only took about 10 min to get onto the cross island north so including walking it was about 25 min. They added two prepaid self-service gates so you can just scan the barcode in the app and enter the lot, Also the right side of the lot was rearranged so the cars are facing north south instead of east west.

Reactions: eoin92

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I know not directly UBS related, but talk on the possiblity of having an ad patch on the jersey next season. Sorry if Ledecky's recent talk about this was posted already:

"...[T]he Islanders co-owner explained that whoever they choose to partner with, there was plenty of thought put into it.

'We’re not going to take necessarily the highest dollar. We’re going to take a brand on the patch that associates with the values of our brand,' Ledecky said. 'And if we have to wait for that brand to emerge and not throw a brand on for the sake of throwing a brand on, we will. We want the right brand here. Our players, it really effects them.'"

For example, Ledecky explained, he had been able to convey through general manager Lou Lamoriello and new head coach Lane Lambert the benefits of working with Jackpocket to the players. The company gives a percentage of what they make to education, Ledecky said.

The Islanders and Jackpocket first got together over the summer when the Islanders announced that they would order $50,000 worth of lottery tickets through the app for full season ticket members, suite holders, staff, and the Islanders Children’s Foundation. The virality of the story led to the partnership that was announced earlier this month. . . ."

"'Fans should be excited about the logos on helmets and the patch on the shoulder because the way the National Hockey League works if all 32 teams are successful in selling these assets then the salary cap goes up,' Ledecky said. 'And we are unabashedly a cap max team. We’ve given our hockey operations folks that 100 percent ‘go do what you need to do.’ For the fans if the cap goes that means, we hope, better players, more free agency, a chance to win the (Stanley Cup), a chance to hold that Cup up high.

'I hope our fans as we think about selling the patch, we think about doing other things that raise capital, they should understand that increases for the National Hockey League the overall salary cap.'"

Not participating in patch ad program this season.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Did anyone take the train from UBS heading East after the game on Thursday/Saturday? If so, how was it? I'm meeting my father at the game tomorrow and he heard that people were waiting on the platform for a long while. I have no idea whether that's true or not but he gets these things in his head.

Also, it looks like there is a 10:25 train. That's not really enough time to stay til the end. Does that train wait around until a certain time after the game or does it come at 10:25 regardless? I'm assuming there are buses that go from the arena out to the Elmont station after the game too? Realistically, you probably need to leave the arena at 10pm in order to ensure you're making that train, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad