UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I also bought garage parking for this year. I didn't mind the Emerald Lot at all, but the idea of not having to scrape ice or sweep snow off my car after a game does have a certain appeal to it. Totally worth the extra 10 minutes to exit the garage.

Besides, if we're a bubble team, as I suspect we will be, the games will be half empty considering the stellar fan support we usually get.:sarcasm:
....and if we are winning, folks stick around to watch the post-game salute and show -something that doesn't hold much allure to me....well, the winning does - shouting "YES, YES, YES" at Shannon gets old pretty quickly.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Long Island has nice parts -- just nothing around the arena and you'd need a car and time to get there and back. Since you're coming during hockey season and not "summer" -- during March/April -- the beaches would be out. Pt. Lookout is probably the closest to NYC area for fishing charters. Captree (further east) has charters too. Any Q's -- just reach out to us. People here know everything!!
Now looking to stay in Queens in December 2024. As it's in central to both UBS and Manhattan?
Found a decent Air BNB place close to public transport.

Reactions: Strummergas

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
Anyone want to take the time to explain how I can go to a preseason game by train from suffolk? I hate traffic, the train I can deal with if I knew how to do it. I actually didn't mind Brooklyn. I've never been to UBS would like to go once before I leave long Island next week

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Anyone want to take the time to explain how I can go to a preseason game by train from suffolk? I hate traffic, the train I can deal with if I knew how to do it. I actually didn't mind Brooklyn. I've never been to UBS would like to go once before I leave long Island next week
Sorry, I live out of NY. Curious where you are leaving Long Island for. I left Bayside Queens in 1990 for NC. Grew up in Brooklyn, spent my last couple of years in Bayside

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Tentative starting date for full service at the new Elmont/UBS Station is October 6. At that time you'll be able to take Ronkonkoma branch and Huntington branch trains to/from Elmont.

Babylon branch trains do not serve the new Elmont station.

Reactions: eoin92

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Tentative starting date for full service at the new Elmont/UBS Station is October 6. At that time you'll be able to take Ronkonkoma branch and Huntington branch trains to/from Elmont.

Have not kept up with the updates to UBS since last season. So this season they will have the Ronkonkoma train directly to UBS?

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022

That sounds fun. Islander fans can take over the Ronkonkoma train like the rangers fans do. Should be interesting when they playat the same day and time

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I haven't paid much attention to the LIRR as I'm in Westchester but I just took a look at the LIRR site and the train from Mineola to UBS is 7 minutes and 48 minutes from Ronkonkoma (somewhere in between for Huntington I think). That's awesome. Great option if you don't want to deal with traffic. Hopefully it works as it should - I'm guessing they'll be some kinks at the start but once it gets running smoothly, its a great option if you're coming from the East. Train price is basically parking unless you have 4 ppl in your car.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
FWIW. Still waiting on specifics and train schedules.

"LIRR interim president Rinaldi announces the “opening of bi-directional service” at the Elmont-UBS Arena station."

Just one name? I didn't realize that the LIRR was being run by a Brazilian soccer player.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I haven't paid much attention to the LIRR as I'm in Westchester but I just took a look at the LIRR site and the train from Mineola to UBS is 7 minutes and 48 minutes from Ronkonkoma (somewhere in between for Huntington I think). That's awesome. Great option if you don't want to deal with traffic. Hopefully it works as it should - I'm guessing they'll be some kinks at the start but once it gets running smoothly, its a great option if you're coming from the East. Train price is basically parking unless you have 4 ppl in your car.
And in the same fare zone. That should cost something like $2.75 one way.

By December when LIRR service starts going to Grand Central you will be able to take the train from your home to UBS without having to walk over to Penn Station from GCT. As a life long New Yorker I find this truly amazing.

"LIRR interim president Rinaldi announces the “opening of bi-directional service” at the Elmont-UBS Arena station."

Just one name? I didn't realize that the LIRR was being run by a Brazilian soccer player.
The Brazilian influence on the Islanders lately smh.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
And in the same fare zone. That should cost something like $2.75 one way.

By December when LIRR service starts going to Grand Central you will be able to take the train from your home to UBS without having to walk over to Penn Station from GCT. As a life long New Yorker I find this truly amazing.
That's awesome....I doubt it will be worthwhile when its all said and done, but I'd like to give it a whirl at least once.

Again - I'm behind the curve here....which station are we talking about - the one close to the arena, or the one out by the Emerald Parking? I ask as I was going to suggest to father that he take the train to meet us but if he has to walk 15 min+ (his speed), I don't think that's doable.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That's awesome....I doubt it will be worthwhile when its all said and done, but I'd like to give it a whirl at least once.

Again - I'm behind the curve here....which station are we talking about - the one close to the arena, or the one out by the Emerald Parking? I ask as I was going to suggest to father that he take the train to meet us but if he has to walk 15 min+ (his speed), I don't think that's doable.
The one by the Emerald lot. That’s the main line station set to go full time service in December. Until then it will be event days only.

The shuttle from Jamaica to the race track spur station next to the arena will run same as last season.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
The one by the Emerald lot. That’s the main line station set to go full time service in December. Until then it will be event days only.

The shuttle from Jamaica to the race track spur station next to the arena will run same as last season.
Arrived for my 1st ubs game. Was easy, train left Jamaica 6pm to go directly to ubs, no bus after. Maybe a 900 foot walk to the entrance of arena. Arena looks good, I thought the coliseum looked awful once they painted everything black inside. The lirr next to ubs arena, goes to Jamaica. Only. In other words you would need to get a Ronkonkoma. I thought the Ronkonkoma train was going here also but I must read the schedule wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I assume the Hempstead branch will continue to make regular stops there during games?
Eastbound, yes.

On October 31 westbound Hempstead branch trains will be able to stop at Elmont/UBS. The railroad has to finish switch and signal installations that will allow a w/b Hempstead train to switch over to the track that platforms at Elmont.

Reactions: Nosebleed40

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I cannot believe this is happening by December, always thought LIRR-GCT would begin in 2030+

When did they start work on that project?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I cannot believe this is happening by December, always thought LIRR-GCT would begin in 2030+

It's been a few years at least, one of my relatives was working on that job site for a while.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

It’s amazing that now you can travel on commuter rail from New Haven, Putnam, or Dutchess County out to the Island with a seamless, in station transfer at Grand Central. No more walking to, or taking the Shuttle and the 1 train to Penn Station to continue your trip on the LIRR.

This was long overdue. Great for this region.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

puckstopper55

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2003
Visit site
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere but I couldn’t find a similar thread. No doubt a thread about the parking garage itself exists, but I want to talk about the “hype” around it.

Yes, it’ll hold over 1400 cars. Yea, it’s pretty close to the arena. It’s sure gonna be expensive. But how in the holy hell do they think funneling that many cars to a single building will work? This isn’t a big deal for a shopping mall where people come and go randomly. But having a large majority of the fans arriving within a 1.5 hour window is going to be chaos.

If you think getting in is bad, wait until it’s time to exit after the game. Anyone ever park in one of the parking garages near yankee stadium? Yeah, not something you want to do. Getting out takes an hour + easily.

All I hear is “thank goodness the garage will be open”, “it’s going to solve so many issues”, “fans will no longer park on the streets”. This is a huge ticking time bomb.

Please correct me if they have figured out some innovative way to unload the garage after the game. Has anyone in the media even thought of this issue? Judging by my google searches, it doesn’t seem so.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere but I couldn’t find a similar thread. No doubt a thread about the parking garage itself exists, but I want to talk about the “hype” around it.

Yes, it’ll hold over 1400 cars. Yea, it’s pretty close to the arena. It’s sure gonna be expensive. But how in the holy hell do they think funneling that many cars to a single building will work? This isn’t a big deal for a shopping mall where people come and go randomly. But having a large majority of the fans arriving within a 1.5 hour window is going to be chaos.

If you think getting in is bad, wait until it’s time to exit after the game. Anyone ever park in one of the parking garages near yankee stadium? Yeah, not something you want to do. Getting out takes an hour + easily.

All I hear is “thank goodness the garage will be open”, “it’s going to solve so many issues”, “fans will no longer park on the streets”. This is a huge ticking time bomb.

Please correct me if they have figured out some innovative way to unload the garage after the game. Has anyone in the media even thought of this issue? Judging by my google searches, it doesn’t seem so.
A ticking time bomb? Oh please.

You know what folks? I get that everyone would like things to be like Madison Square Garden, where you can just go up a couple of escalators from your train to the arena and never have to go outside. But this is what we (along with everyone except the Bruins) have.

If the driving-parking situation becomes untenable, take the train. Take a rideshare. That was the idea when UBS Arena was built.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bones45

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad