UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
There's really nothing "nice" or for families in the area of the arena. Like most arenas, not in the greatest part of town--- that you'd want to stick around. If you are coming in for a weekend, that's one thing,, but a couple of weeks with the family, is quite another thing entirely.

My advice would be to find some hotels in Manhattan -- they are tons of them, in nearly every part of the city. They will be expensive - start saving now. The NYC (Penn Station/MSG) to Belmont Arena is a super easy trip on LIRR. 25 min or so via train. You'll also be able to take a quick train to see a Devil game, if you wanted to.
Roger... I thought the Long Island experience might be nice... But sounds like maybe not! Do plan to go fishing out of Long Island while there.
First time we stayed in New Jersey. Air bnb in a large house. Much cheaper and easy bus trip into Manhattan.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Roger... I thought the Long Island experience might be nice... But sounds like maybe not! Do plan to go fishing out of Long Island while there.
First time we stayed in New Jersey. Air bnb in a large house. Much cheaper and easy bus trip into Manhattan.
Find a house on the south shore.

oh, bring lots of $

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Long Island has nice parts -- just nothing around the arena and you'd need a car and time to get there and back. Since you're coming during hockey season and not "summer" -- during March/April -- the beaches would be out. Pt. Lookout is probably the closest to NYC area for fishing charters. Captree (further east) has charters too. Any Q's -- just reach out to us. People here know everything!!

Last edited:
Reactions: scottywiper

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

If you are planning on getting Isles games and Fishing, you're probably looking at April or October/November and both would be Striped Bass / Sea Bass / Blackfish.

At those times of year you might not get crushed on the AirBnB stays as opposed to the crazy summer prices. As Bones mentioned, you could stay in the Babylon area and fish on a "party boat" out of Captree. That way you could take the LIRR to the Isles game/s, be close to a bar town and a 20-30 min drive to the fishing. Babylon has private fishing charters as well.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Long Island has nice parts -- just nothing around the arena and you'd need a car and time to get there and back. Since your coming during hockey season and not "summer" -- during March/April -- the beaches would be out. Pt. Lookout is probably the closest to NYC area for fishing charters. Captree (further east) has charters too. Any Q's -- just reach out to us. People here know everything!!
Clubhouse leader for post of the day.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
There's really nothing "nice" or for families in the area of the arena. Like most arenas, not in the greatest part of town--- that you'd want to stick around. If you are coming in for a weekend, that's one thing,, but a couple of weeks with the family, is quite another thing entirely.

My advice would be to find some hotels in Manhattan -- they are tons of them, in nearly every part of the city. They will be expensive - start saving now. The NYC (Penn Station/MSG) to Belmont Arena is a super easy trip on LIRR. 25 min or so via train. You'll also be able to take a quick train to see a Devil game, if you wanted to.
Honestly NYC is not that nice right now unless you are spending lots of $$$.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
For those of you that were interested, parking garage is open. I had to drop off at Harry Styles last night. That was a disaster, the drop off for the emerald lot/ride-share was backed up on to the cross island. They’re gonna have to figure that out. These teen idle concerts, with parent drop off, are a disaster.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
If you are planning on getting Isles games and Fishing, you're probably looking at April or October/November and both would be Striped Bass / Sea Bass / Blackfish.

At those times of year you might not get crushed on the AirBnB stays as opposed to the crazy summer prices. As Bones mentioned, you could stay in the Babylon area and fish on a "party boat" out of Captree. That way you could take the LIRR to the Isles game/s, be close to a bar town and a 20-30 min drive to the fishing. Babylon has private fishing charters as well.
Definitely be around October i would imagine.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Just curious if anyone here got the "Members Only" jacket gift from Isles for next years tickets.

Not sure if this is a throwback to the 80's when those were popular, or whatever - but there is no way Id wear one. Anyone have one? Is it as ridiculous as the picture I saw in the email?

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Just curious if anyone here got the "Members Only" jacket gift from Isles for next years tickets.

Not sure if this is a throwback to the 80's when those were popular, or whatever - but there is no way Id wear one. Anyone have one? Is it as ridiculous as the picture I saw in the email?
Tony Soprano would not be happy.

1653662411276.png

Reactions: Bones45

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I just saw the email from the Islanders regarding seat relocations. My turn to select new seats is on June 5 at 3PM.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I just saw the email from the Islanders regarding seat relocations. My turn to select new seats is on June 5 at 3PM.
What do you mean relocations. Why are they moving your seat?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What do you mean relocations. Why are they moving your seat?
I requested to move my seats. I'm a little too close to the glass. I sit in 117 and I can't see the other end of the ice really well.

From June 5-9 the Islanders are accommodating STHs who requested to change their seats in seniority order.

Reactions: eoin92

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I requested to move my seats. I'm a little too close to the glass. I sit in 117 and I can't see the other end of the ice really well.

From June 5-9 the Islanders are accommodating STHs who requested to change their seats in seniority order.
I thought they were forcing you to relocate. I was like WTF!?

• Haha
Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is something I find interesting. This winter LIRR service is being expanded to Grand Central Terminal in addition to Penn Station and Brooklyn. This is a link to the first draft of the schedule for that expansion. Includes service to/from the new Elmont-UBS Station.

This is something I find interesting. This winter LIRR service is being expanded to Grand Central Terminal in addition to Penn Station and Brooklyn. This is a link to the first draft of the schedule for that expansion. Includes service to/from the new Elmont-UBS Station.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Belmont fall meet has been moved to Aqueduct, starting September 15, to allow for renovations of the racing surfaces. It is believed a 4th racing surface, an all weather synthetic course, is being installed. That will allow NYRA to close Aqueduct permanently and have Belmont host racing in the winter months. Winterization and renovations to the grandstand are on tap.

Racing will return to Belmont on April 30, 2023 for their normal spring/summer meet.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The Belmont fall meet has been moved to Aqueduct, starting September 15, to allow for renovations of the racing surfaces. It is believed a 4th racing surface, an all weather synthetic course, is being installed. That will allow NYRA to close Aqueduct permanently and have Belmont host racing in the winter months. Winterization and renovations to the grandstand are on tap.

Racing will return to Belmont on April 30, 2023 for their normal spring/summer meet.

After they close Aqueduct they can turn it into a farm incubator, then we'll go full circle.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Isles have extra money floating around to buy $50K in megamillions for STHs and staff? Wondering how many shares of this there are? Could be 2 or 3 years of free season tix worth?

Got this e-mail:

The 50th Anniversary of the New York Islanders is this season, and in celebration we are excited to announce a $50,000 reason why membership has its benefits.

This morning, the Isles partnered with Jackpocket to order $50,000 in Mega Millions lottery tickets on behalf of all Full Season Ticket Members, suite holders, team staff, and the Islanders Children’s Foundation for tonight’s $1.28 billion drawing.

The 25,000 lottery tickets, proceeds from which benefit education in New York State, were purchased through the Jackpocket app, the leading third-party app in the U.S. for providing a secure way to order official state lottery tickets. The full press release can be found here.

UBS Arena Premium Members will be notified via email should net winnings total $250,000 or more with additional information about how funds will be transferred. Net winnings that go to Premium Members will be distributed on a per seat basis.

Should net winnings total less than $250,000, the New York Islanders will donate the full amount to the Islanders Children’s Foundation.

Happy 50th Anniversary!
Your New York Islanders

press release:

Islanders and Jackpocket order $50,000 in Tickets for $1.28 Billion Prize

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It’s called marketing…a co-marketing one that certainly indicates that they paid way less than $50k for the tickets. They probably paid less than $.50 each, if that.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Isles have extra money floating around to buy $50K in megamillions for STHs and staff? Wondering how many shares of this there are? Could be 2 or 3 years of free season tix worth?

Got this e-mail:

The 50th Anniversary of the New York Islanders is this season, and in celebration we are excited to announce a $50,000 reason why membership has its benefits.

This morning, the Isles partnered with Jackpocket to order $50,000 in Mega Millions lottery tickets on behalf of all Full Season Ticket Members, suite holders, team staff, and the Islanders Children’s Foundation for tonight’s $1.28 billion drawing.

The 25,000 lottery tickets, proceeds from which benefit education in New York State, were purchased through the Jackpocket app, the leading third-party app in the U.S. for providing a secure way to order official state lottery tickets. The full press release can be found here.

UBS Arena Premium Members will be notified via email should net winnings total $250,000 or more with additional information about how funds will be transferred. Net winnings that go to Premium Members will be distributed on a per seat basis.

Should net winnings total less than $250,000, the New York Islanders will donate the full amount to the Islanders Children’s Foundation.

Happy 50th Anniversary!
Your New York Islanders

press release:

Islanders and Jackpocket order $50,000 in Tickets for $1.28 Billion Prize
50K to Scott Malkin is like me going to the store to buy a bunch of bananas. It's a PR move, and a cheap one at that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad