UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere but I couldn’t find a similar thread. No doubt a thread about the parking garage itself exists, but I want to talk about the “hype” around it.

Yes, it’ll hold over 1400 cars. Yea, it’s pretty close to the arena. It’s sure gonna be expensive. But how in the holy hell do they think funneling that many cars to a single building will work? This isn’t a big deal for a shopping mall where people come and go randomly. But having a large majority of the fans arriving within a 1.5 hour window is going to be chaos.

If you think getting in is bad, wait until it’s time to exit after the game. Anyone ever park in one of the parking garages near yankee stadium? Yeah, not something you want to do. Getting out takes an hour + easily.

All I hear is “thank goodness the garage will be open”, “it’s going to solve so many issues”, “fans will no longer park on the streets”. This is a huge ticking time bomb.

Please correct me if they have figured out some innovative way to unload the garage after the game. Has anyone in the media even thought of this issue? Judging by my google searches, it doesn’t seem so.

You are closer to the arena, yes,
Yes, you are also "stacked" and will take time to funnel out. That's how garages like that work.

Just leave early, (like most of y'all do anyway) and you'll be fine. Frankly, I'd rather be in my car with heater on, listening to post game on radio rather than walking in the cold and rain. Or stay after and check out the post game on the concourse. The 15/20 min wait to get out just isn't a big deal. You ain't that important, your time is not that valuable. :)

Ill probably be taking the train in to avoid the parking/$40 cost and will be running my night around return trains.

No big deal.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
A ticking time bomb? Oh please.

You know what folks? I get that everyone would like things to be like Madison Square Garden, where you can just go up a couple of escalators from your train to the arena and never have to go outside. But this is what we (along with everyone except the Bruins) have.

If the driving-parking situation becomes untenable, take the train. Take a rideshare. That was the idea when UBS Arena was built.
And the train for MSG is brutal itself.

I hate these dramatic threads, people love to complain.

You mean to tell me that 17K people leaving a place at once results in traffic congestion? Who would have guessed!!!!!!!

They have a garage on one side, parking on another and a train line. That eases it about as well as you can. Figure it out.

Reactions: Bones45

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And the train for MSG is brutal itself.

I hate these dramatic threads, people love to complain.

You mean to tell me that 17K people leaving a place at once results in traffic congestion? Who would have guessed!!!!!!!

They have a garage on one side, parking on another and a train line. That eases it about as well as you can. Figure it out.
Let’s face it. With our “loyal” Islanders fans supporting the team at the box office, how often do you expect there to be 17,000 fans at the games this year? We only host the Rags once this season.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's holding a fraction of the cars, I can't imagine that'll be a big deal. If they put every car in the same garage with a single entrance and exit there'd be an issue. This isn't one, and couldn't you just choose a different place to park?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's holding a fraction of the cars, I can't imagine that'll be a big deal. If they put every car in the same garage with a single entrance and exit there'd be an issue. This isn't one, and couldn't you just choose a different place to park?
This thread really doesn’t deserve to live.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
There's several issues involved here. #1 idles fans had easy life dealing with coliseum. #2 most fans are from long Island. Paying to park, driving around expensive conjested parking garages is not something we ever deal with
#3 alot of games are after people already had a whole day of work and other driving. It's not easy to deal with. Never mind how many people drink at games. I couldn't believe how many people were drinking at the devilsnpreseason game last week. Alot more than most heavy metal concerts I go to. They should of built this next to the coliseum and tore the coliseum down or made it next to the Hicksville train station so everyone could take the train. The average fan in Smithtown or Ronkonkoma is looking at 4 hrs of being in the car to go to a game. 95% of the peoplemat games live east of the building. Terrible location

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
There's several issues involved here. #1 idles fans had easy life dealing with coliseum. #2 most fans are from long Island. Paying to park, driving around expensive conjested parking garages is not something we ever deal with
#3 alot of games are after people already had a whole day of work and other driving. It's not easy to deal with. Never mind how many people drink at games. I couldn't believe how many people were drinking at the devilsnpreseason game last week. Alot more than most heavy metal concerts I go to. They should of built this next to the coliseum and tore the coliseum down or made it next to the Hicksville train station so everyone could take the train. The average fan in Smithtown or Ronkonkoma is looking at 4 hrs of being in the car to go to a game. 95% of the peoplemat games live east of the building. Terrible location

As someone who lives in Da Konk, I can tell you its about 1:15 to the arena during rush hour weekdays, and about 50min on the way home.

I also feel like driving to Hicksville and doing the short jaunt to Elmont on train is a solid plan too.

This thread really doesn’t deserve to live.

of course it does. You expect Isles hockey to keep us awake?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

I read this as, "it's not where I wanted the arena to be, therefore it's a terrible location". Piss off, Sebastian Bach.

Reactions: 24diving

puckstopper55

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2003
Visit site
The train drops you off nearly 3/4 of a mile away. I’ve heard lots of complaints about their shuttle busses. The train stop at the racetrack only has 2 trains to and from on game days and can only be accessed via Jamaica. From Ronkonkoma that’s a 1:40 to 1:50 trip.

The entire point to my original statement was that this will not be the savior we are told it will be. If you thought getting out of the south lot was bad, this will be much worse.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The train drops you off nearly 3/4 of a mile away. I’ve heard lots of complaints about their shuttle busses. The train stop at the racetrack only has 2 trains to and from on game days and can only be accessed via Jamaica. From Ronkonkoma that’s a 1:40 to 1:50 trip.

The entire point to my original statement was that this will not be the savior we are told it will be. If you thought getting out of the south lot was bad, this will be much worse.
Of course you heard lots of complaints. This is what Islanders fans do best...COMPLAIN.

The shuttle buses will continue this season. The ones that were going to Queens Village are discontinued now that the Elmont station is up and running in both directions. Those free shuttle buses (being paid for by NY Arena Partners) will now all run to the Elmont station so that should relieve the pressure from last season. Again it's not perfect but this is what we've got. And if you let things like this dictate whether you want to go to a game or not, well that's on you.

I've gone to plenty of Flyers games at Wells Fargo Center and parked near CBP and Lincoln Financial Field to save money. And do you know what the Flyers provide to get me to the arena? Nothing. The same with the Bruins when I parked in the Government Center garage. Had to walk or take the T to North Station.

Y'all definitely got spoiled.

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006

UBS is not a terrible location - its almost perfect in my opinion given the alternative of the Coliseum site you suggest. Those east in Ronkonkoma can take the train now. For example, for the home opener you grab the 5:57 from Ronkonkoma direct to Elmont-UBS, gets in around 6:50. 10:25 train home direct from Elmont-UBS to Ronkonkoma gets in around 11:15. What more could you ask for - I just shaved 2 hours off your 4 hour estimate. The location is better than the coliseum because it provides driving options AND mass transit alternatives, something the Coliseum area will never have. Much easier to get to for the portion of fans west of the area as well - the buddy I mainly go to games with comes in from the city. I drive or take the train from the East via Hempstead line and have never had a problem.

Reactions: MJF

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Is there going to be separate parking for the retail village, or is the parking garage serving as retail parking?

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
UBS is a breeze compared to City Field after an afternoon game when you are leaving during rush hour and Yankee stadium is no better trying to get out of the garage near the stadium.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
UBS is a breeze compared to City Field after an afternoon game when you are leaving during rush hour and Yankee stadium is no better trying to get out of the garage near the stadium.
If they had built the arena in the area across from Citi Field where the junkyards were cleared out people would be complaining about the longer walk to the LIRR and the fact that only the Port Washington line goes to Citi Field.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
If they had built the arena in the area across from Citi Field where the junkyards were cleared out people would be complaining about the longer walk to the LIRR and the fact that only the Port Washington line goes to Citi Field.
All it takes is one feneder bender and that drive is going to be an hour longer. I know people can be sensitive if you critize their kid, I mean their home, but with the very fast increasing population on long Island, you don't know how much worse driving will be in 2 yrs or 8 yrs. It's safe to say, if there's not another covid it will be much worse..traffic is already reduced at least 25% due to covid still if you take a look at how crowded the lirr parking lot in Ronkonkoma is now compared to before covid. In fact with the population increase there's probably 30% less cars on tje roade with alot people still working from home. Fans who go to games, are going to saybits not a pain..but there's gota be fans who would go more often if it was in a easy driveable spot. The lirr thing is going to add up to alot money for some people, someday like in 10 days they won't have any trains foe the game. Its going to be 20 degrees in the winter on some games..so you can't make the argument that a arena built in the city is ideal when the fans almost all live on longisland.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
All it takes is one feneder bender and that drive is going to be an hour longer. I know people can be sensitive if you critize their kid, I mean their home, but with the very fast increasing population on long Island, you don't know how much worse driving will be in 2 yrs or 8 yrs. It's safe to say, if there's not another covid it will be much worse..traffic is already reduced at least 25% due to covid still if you take a look at how crowded the lirr parking lot in Ronkonkoma is now compared to before covid. In fact with the population increase there's probably 30% less cars on tje roade with alot people still working from home. Fans who go to games, are going to saybits not a pain..but there's gota be fans who would go more often if it was in a easy driveable spot. The lirr thing is going to add up to alot money for some people, someday like in 10 days they won't have any trains foe the game. Its going to be 20 degrees in the winter on some games..so you can't make the argument that a arena built in the city is ideal when the fans almost all live on longisland.

The population growth is out east and won't impact Belmont. If traffic gets bad, more people will take the train. The arena is on Long Island and isn't in the city. What in the world are you even talking about?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The population growth is out east and won't impact Belmont. If traffic gets bad, more people will take the train. The arena is on Long Island and isn't in the city. What in the world are you even talking about?
They should have built a floating arena in Long Island Sound like I suggested. No traffic or parking issues there.

• Haha
Reactions: MJF and PK Cronin

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I guess Malkin should build another arena out in Ronkonkoma for everyone who lives in the Town of Brookhaven for when they can't deal with a trek to Elmont anymore.

Reactions: doublechili

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
BTW if you park at Hicksville and take a 12 minute LIRR ride to Elmont the fare is $3.25. Park at Mineola and it's a 5 minute train ride.

$6.50 round trip or a minimum of $30 to park your car at the game.

I don't know why anyone from out east who has access to the LIRR would ever drive to UBS Arena ever again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad