Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

R2010

May 23, 2011
Kinda strange to quote my post then follow it up with this..... Would you prefer Lucius? He's pretty one dimensional.

I think he is alot mentally tougher and has more upside than you do. Physical players take longer to develop, he has upside. Maybe you just dont want to see it.

I don't pretend to be tough mentally and do not pretend to know or even be able to compare life experiences with Boucher. But there are people on this board who have dealt with a lot in their lives and comments like that are just silly and triggering.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I don't pretend to be tough mentally and do not pretend to know or even be able to compare life experiences with Boucher. But there are people on this board who have dealt with a lot in their lives and comments like that are just silly and triggering.

i think you misunderstood his post

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
By now we know the Sens scouting staff has wildly different rankings compared to the rest of the league.

I'd just like a bit of humility and for them to stop trying to be the smartest scouts in the room. so often.
So because the scouts don't pick the player you like, they somehow lack humility?

Reactions: swiftwin

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Just keep on working on that niche Bouch. Net front presence on PP2. Fast, hard-forecheking, physical, good teammate, get a few dirty goals here and there, and don't be an issue defensively and I'm happy. If he can be this player on a nice cheap contract for his 20's I'll be a happy camper with Mr. Bouch. He'll have a defined role and be a niche player for us and I'm okay with that from a 1st round pick. (Internally though, yes, the pick still hurts.)

Anyone expecting him to replace players on the top-6 is a little much. He should be focusing on replacing guys like Kelly, Gambrell, Kasty and guys of that ilk.
We won’t need him in the top 6 after winning the lottery.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Bedard
DeBrincat-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-Giroux
Crookshank-Kastelic-Boucher

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It was a one off draft with limited information where the staff sought to swing for the fences on each pick.

We’ll likely see a return to the typical draft strategy during typical draft years.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
This is now the theme from the positive side but I would suggest people harp on the downside of Bouchers play also based on the fact plenty of people blow up his every little positive.

It wasn't that long ago that clips of him making a typical hit or missing the net with a shot were hailed as proof he was a gamer.

One side seems to believe they are the, "right" type of fan and somehow hold the moral high ground because they won't say anything negative about the prospect.

It's gone from having an opinion to the type of person you are. Way too much.
Nobody is a “right” or “wrong” fan. Sometimes good points are made on both sides.

However, for years people said:

- Sens reach too much on draft picks
- Sens over-value toughness and physicality
- Sens don’t value skill enough

And then they drafted Boucher, who represents all of the above. And so he is now fairly or unfairly the poster boy for that argument, despite the fact that the current iteration of the Sens is a team that has skill in spades and could actually use more toughness. It’s a huge burden to place on a teenager and I think it’s easy to want to root for him as a result. Do I think people want Boucher to fail? No. But I do think people want Sens management to fail, and I think Boucher is sort of an extension of that.

That’s just my view of what’s happening. It’d be nice if Boucher was just Boucher and not a poster boy for arguments around Ottawa’s drafting style on both sides but hey it is what it is.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If a team were to use a consensus of reputable rankings by other parties, it might do just as well as its own scouting staff.

It would be interesting to see an assessment of this for all teams for the last 10 years.
What's the draft ranking source for the baseline. And would you want this for 7 rounds or less?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Boucher can still play a valuable role on the 4th line in the NHL. Big, tough, intimidating, hits everything that moves and forces teams to move the puck faster than they'd like. Maybe puts up 15-20 points. Move up to the third line when we have injuries or when it's a physical game that needs some oomph higher up on the roster. The Chris Neil (light) role.

While it's not what I'd want from a 10th overall pick, it's still way better than the pick busting outright.

He needs tocontinue developing is overall game and skating (speed) for a few years. And I doubt he puts on much more weight...5 or 10 pounds at most. Anything more and he will end up being a bit too bulky and slow. Can't hit what you can't catch, after all.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Boucher can still play a valuable role on the 4th line in the NHL. Big, tough, intimidating, hits everything that moves and forces teams to move the puck faster than they'd like. Maybe puts up 15-20 points. Move up to the third line when we have injuries or when it's a physical game that needs some oomph higher up on the roster. The Chris Neil (light) role.

While it's not what I'd want from a 10th overall pick, it's still way better than the pick busting outright.

He needs tocontinue developing is overall game and skating (speed) for a few years. And I doubt he puts on much more weight...5 or 10 pounds at most. Anything more and he will end up being a bit too bulky and slow. Can't hit what you can't catch, after all.
15 points from your 10 OA is an outright bust. How many forwards with a ceiling of 15 points per season play more than a couple hundred games?

Reactions: lancepitlick

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
15 points from your 10 OA is an outright bust. How many forwards with a ceiling of 15 points per season play more than a couple hundred games?
Boucher if/when he makes it will start at a 25 pt bottom six floor. That’s minimum he starts at.
We can then hope he turns into a 30-50 pt middle six player. (Which imo is likely enough)
He will be an impactful asset.
1-3 years away though so let’s talk about something else mmmk?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Didn’t he play at the end of the third? That won’t happen with a dislocation.
He did play a shift or two on the 3rd.

The injury either isn’t as serious as it almost always is, or he injured it later than the 2nd. You can’t move the joint when you dislocate your shoulder.

I’d lean towards it not being a dislocated shoulder and probably just separated.

He’s a walking injury, and with the type of game he needs to play, that’s going to be a serious issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: cudi

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He did play a shift or two on the 3rd.

The injury either isn’t as serious as it almost always is, or he injured it later than the 2nd. You can’t move the joint when you dislocate your shoulder.

I’d lean towards it not being a dislocated shoulder and probably just separated.

He’s a walking injury, and with the type of game he needs to play, that’s going to be a serious issue.
dislocated seems like a stretch if he injured it in the 2nd and came back to play in the 3rd .. I am no doctor just a layman's opinion.
I have not heard of anything chronic where its a pop out pop in thing.
I expect it won't be too serious,

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If a team were to use a consensus of reputable rankings by other parties, it might do just as well as its own scouting staff.

It would be interesting to see an assessment of this for all teams for the last 10 years.
Maybe, maybe not. You certainly wont build an identity that way though.

Secondly nothing Simmer says on twitter has any substance he is just looking for clicks. He was hating on Debrincat until he broke out recently. Which is a pretty terrible look when this is your full time job. He had 270 games of sample size to have actually watched him and he clearly didnt.

He ripped on JBD his second shift after coming back from an injury who then went on to have his best NHL game of his life. His bank account depends on clicks. Have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What's the draft ranking source for the baseline. And would you want this for 7 rounds or less?
I don't have a definitive listing but those used by Tankathon to develop their lists would be a starting place. Their sources would require vetting and there may be some missing sources to be added.

The number of rounds would depend on the tounds of the NHL draft over time. 7 is good as a starting point.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe, maybe not. You certainly wont build an identity that way though.

Secondly nothing Simmer says on twitter has any substance he is just looking for clicks. He was hating on Debrincat until he broke out recently. Which is a pretty terrible look when this is your full time job. He had 270 games of sample size to have actually watched him and he clearly didnt.

He ripped on JBD his second shift after coming back from an injury who then went on to have his best NHL game of his life. His bank account depends on clicks. Have to take everything with a grain of salt.
I don't follow Simmer and therefore do not know what he has said.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why bother post something like this. It's not genuine and avoids all context. He has 15 points in 16 games. You can say you're worried because he appears to be injury proned. But this is disingenuous and provides 0 substance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad