Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Let's hope that Boucher at least comes close to Giroux.

He will never be close to Giroux, come on.

Team Captain, perennial All-Star, MVP candidate, Team Canada leader, etc...

Circumstances (although everyone has had to deal with Covid, leaving home to play, etc) or not, he is looking like he will be pressed to be 3rd liner. Most likely a 4th line energy guy but even that will require him to be better in his own end.

Reactions: jhutter

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'm embarrassed for you guys and your unhealthy obsession with this player/the pick.

f***ing Dorion and Mann are living rent free in your heads and it's hilarious because it clearly drives you guys bonkers.

Have fun with that.
Clearly you have a bunch of us keeping you up at night.

We see a player and make comments on his development yet you and your crew throw a hissy fit and put us into these odd categories and then pat yourselves on the back for being, "realistic, a true fan, reasonable, etc".

One thing you are right about is that it is very funny!

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Circumstances (although everyone has had to deal with Covid, leaving home to play, etc) or not, he is looking like he will be pressed to be 3rd liner. Most likely a 4th line energy guy but even that will require him to be better in his own end.
I never said he would.

If you prefer the word "IF", then replace that word for "hope" somewhere in the sentence.

Relax.

I hate these debates. I've already said a few times that I just stay outside of the debate and just wait to see what happens. I couldn't give a rat's behind actually to be honest.

Not a chance. Not even in the same ball park. Reminds me of the foot massage scene in pulp fiction.
See above for more clarify.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Clearly you have a bunch of us keeping you up at night.

We see a player and make comments on his development yet you and your crew throw a hissy fit and put us into these odd categories and then pat yourselves on the back for being, "realistic, a true fan, reasonable, etc".

I see a post about a player and make comments on his development yet you and your crew throw a hissy fit and put us into these odd categories and then pat yourselves on the back for being, "realistic, a true fan, reasonable, etc".

:teach:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If you cant take a different opinion then keep your thoughts to yourself.

Feel free to talk about whatever you like here - and when its something like moaning and groaning for 50+ pages about a pick from 2 years ago - expect to get laughed at by the more reasonable thinking minds around here.
The fact you can write this and still believe you are the reasonable one is amazing.

People using the data that is right in front of them to make a decision pisses you off so much.

I couldn't care less that you or anyone wants to believe he will be an impact 2nd/3rd liner. I really hope he becomes that myself but in my evaluation I don't see it. If I am wrong I will be very happy and not give a second thought to the earlier opinions I wrote here.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The fact you can write this and still believe you are the reasonable one is amazing.

People using the data that is right in front of them to make a decision pisses you off so much.

I couldn't care less that you or anyone wants to believe he will be an impact 2nd/3rd liner. I really hope he becomes that myself but in my evaluation I don't see it. If I am wrong I will be very happy and not give a second thought to the earlier opinions I wrote here.

Relax, mon frère. When you realize that Tyler Boucher is not worth all of this angst, you will get it.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I never said he would.

If you prefer the word "IF", then substitute that word for "hope".

Relax.

I hate these debates. I've already said a few times that I just stay outside of the debate and just wait to see what happens. I couldn't give a rat's behind actually to be honest.

See above for more clarify.
Who isn't relaxed? I'm still on holiday.

Well in that case I hope he becomes Alex Ovechkin.

You can't put out a wildly ambitious comparable and then push back on any discussion when someone says they disagree.

Relax, mon frère. When you realize that Tyler Boucher is not worth all of this angst, you will get it.
LOL!

I have 0 angst over Boucher or any of your comments. Just trying to find middle ground.

But keep up with trying to be more enlightened than everyone, you will get there eventually.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Who isn't relaxed? I'm still on holiday.

Well in that case I hope he becomes Alex Ovechkin.

You can't put out a wildly ambitious comparable and then push back on any discussion when someone says they disagree.
Now I have another reason to stay out of this thread.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
LOL!

I have 0 angst over Boucher or any of your comments. Just trying to find middle ground.

But keep up with trying to be more enlightened than everyone, you will get there eventually.

When more people can comfortably step away from the ledge and take the "wait and see" approach on prospects versus "the sky is falling and/or our scouts are clueless derp derp" approach - my job will be done here :nod:.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
When more people can comfortably step away from the ledge and take the "wait and see" approach on prospects versus "the sky is falling and/or our scouts are clueless" approach - my job will be done here :nod:
Cool, admitting you have a problem is the 1st step.

You think you have a purpose here so I guess that is good too, if you need that.

I will say I am shocked that you, one of the self-proclaimed, more reasonable posters here can't already see that overwhelmingly people are waiting and seeing while also predicting what they think will happen.

Now I have another reason to stay out of this thread.
Sorry, you are right, he has a great chance to be as good as Giroux.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

There are what, 220+ players drafted per year? 1 or 2 of those guys are going to be like Giroux. That's some unprecedented optimism.

Reactions: OD99

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
When more people can comfortably step away from the ledge and take the "wait and see" approach on prospects versus "the sky is falling and/or our scouts are clueless" approach - my job will be done here :nod:.
That pretty much defeats the purpose of a hockey board though. I would hope most understand that players can become better in the future, and know Mann and co. have forgotten more than a vast majority of us know about hockey, understand our evaluations are nothing to take as anything more than an opinion. Nobody bats 100% scouting, even the best in the industry strike out completely, Sens included.

How a player is playing will drive how the player is perceived and written about.

Ostapchuk, taken in the same draft by the same scouts, was a heavily criticized pick as well when it was made, it's now pretty much universally seen as a homerun, and commented on as such. Very positive things when watching him play.

Boucher, along with an unfair starting point of being drafted with an extremely valuable pick, has not played as one would have hoped, and the questions surrounding the pick at the time remain the exact same questions 2 years later. It would be strange for there not be concerns over his progression/lack thereof.

Scouts can do great, and do awful, on the exact same day. Nature of the profession.

Boucher isn't a bust, anyone saying that outright is taking a very heavy handed approach to evaluating him.

But if a high pick hasn't been doing very well, it's going to be highlighted much more than Engstrand or Roger not doing well. Nature of the beast, and will continue to be that way for the foreseeable future.

There is 1.5 years of empirical evidence since the draft at this point, I personally don't think that paints Boucher in a positive light, and that's what I've relayed when I write about him. Rafi and co see things differently and are seeing lots of positives, and that's perfectly fine and understandable, but I don't find pretty much any common ground on the evaluations. That's what makes the board go.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
That pretty much defeats the purpose of a hockey board though. I would hope most understand that players can become better in the future, and know Mann and co. have forgotten more than a vast majority of us know about hockey understand our evaluations are nothing to take as anything more than an opinion. Nobody bats 100% scouting, even the best in the industry strike out completely, Sens included.

How a player is playing will drive how the player is perceived and written about.

Ostapchuk, taken in the same draft by the same scouts, was a heavily criticized pick as well when it was made, it's now pretty much universally seen as a homerun, and commented on as such. Very positive things when watching him play.

Boucher, along with an unfair starting point of being drafted with an extremely valuable pick, has not played as one would have hoped, and the questions surrounding the pick at the time remain the exact same questions 2 years later. It would be strange for there not be concerns over his progression/lack thereof.

Scouts can do great, and do awful, on the exact same day. Nature of the profession.

Boucher isn't a bust, anyone saying that outright is taking a very heavy handed approach to evaluating him.

But if a high pick hasn't been doing very well, it's going to be highlighted much more than Engstrand or Roger not doing well. Nature of the beast, and will continue to be that way for the foreseeable future.

There is 1.5 years of empirical evidence since the draft at this point, I personally don't think that paints Boucher in a positive light, and that's what I've relayed when I write about him. Rafi and co see things differently and are seeing lots of positives, and that's perfectly fine and understandable, but I don't find pretty much any common ground on the evaluations. That's what makes the board go.
This sums up the opinions on the board quite well.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Fast and imposing with tenacity and NHL calibre shot. During the WJC and OHL I have seen him fly across the wing knocking down defenders as he skates by them. His not so great IQ doesn't lead to much, though.

A legit reservation is his injury-proneness with that style of play as well.
That's my concern.

Reactions: cudi

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Simmer with some less than positive things to say, thankfully he’s not exactly a beacon of reliability.
What did he say? I saw a tweet about not being able to process the game fast enough against top level competition, anything else?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I just really hope that after the Boucher selection Mann and the scouting staff have an honest reflection regarding their ability to identify undervalued talent and humble themselves.

Picks like Pinto and Ostapchuk are considered success stories in going off the board, but what about Boucher, JBD, Thomson, Jarventie and Roger?

In almost all cases the team would have been better off taking the "obvious" pick instead of reaching for their guy. Even in cases where it's worked out - how much worse off would we be with Kaliyev instead of Pinto and Raty/Stankoven instead of Ostapchuk?

I'm perfectly fine with the team going off the board in the mid-late rounds if they think they have found a gem, as at that point in the draft you aren't even expecting to get an NHLer with your pick, but I think there's enough evidence to suggest they'd be better off not overthinking their selections in the first 2 rounds.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I just really hope that after the Boucher selection Mann and the scouting staff have an honest reflection regarding their ability to identify undervalued talent and humble themselves.

Picks like Pinto and Ostapchuk are considered success stories in going off the board, but what about Boucher, JBD, Thomson, Jarventie and Roger?

In almost all cases the team would have been better off taking the "obvious" pick instead of reaching for their guy. Even in cases where it's worked out - how much worse off would we be with Kaliyev instead of Pinto and Raty/Stankoven instead of Ostapchuk?

I'm perfectly fine with the team going off the board in the mid-late rounds if they think they have found a gem, as at that point in the draft you aren't even expecting to get an NHLer with your pick, but I think there's enough evidence to suggest they'd be better off not overthinking their selections in the first 2 rounds.

If a team were to use a consensus of reputable rankings by other parties, it might do just as well as its own scouting staff.

It would be interesting to see an assessment of this for all teams for the last 10 years.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

It's almost like you can't hit on every pick. Strange.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

I feel like our scouts are way too scared of their preferred picks being valued higher by other teams than they actually are.

Like I sincerely doubt other teams had Ben Roger on their radar in the 2nd round, lmfao

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's almost like you can't hit on every pick. Strange.

Sens have done quite well picking players that the consensus views as reasonable selections at that spot.

Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sanderson, Greig, Bowers, Formenton, Kleven, Sogaard, Tychonick

I'm going from memory for a few of these guys but I believe all of them were selected around where they were expected to go, either slightly higher or lower.

No one is expecting them to hit on every pick, but there is a difference between missing on a selection that most people view as a good one at that spot and missing on a kid who almost no one expected to go that high.

Reactions: DrEasy and jhutter

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Sens have done quite well picking players that the consensus views as reasonable selections at that spot.

Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sanderson, Greig, Bowers, Formenton, Kleven, Sogaard, Tychonick

I'm going from memory for a few of these guys but I believe all of them were selected around where they were expected to go, either slightly higher or lower.

No one is expecting them to hit on every pick, but there is a difference between missing on a selection that most people view as a good one at that spot and missing on a kid who almost no one expected to go that high.

Moot point considering we don't know what their rankings are.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Moot point considering we don't know what their rankings are.

By now we know the Sens scouting staff has wildly different rankings compared to the rest of the league.

I'd just like a bit of humility and for them to stop trying to be the smartest scouts in the room. so often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad